Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Trial Begins for Man Accused of Manslaughter in Death of Tapout's 'Mask'

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Opening statements began on Tuesday in the vehicular manslaughter trial of Jeffrey David Kirby, the driver of a Porsche that allegedly crashed into the Ferrari of Tapout co-founder Charles "Mask" Lewis in an accident that killed Lewis.

Kirby was arrested shortly after the March 11, 2009 crash in Newport Beach, California, registering a .13 blood/alcohol level, well above the legal limit.

According to the Orange County Register, prosecutor Jason Baez told jurors in his opening statement that skid marks show that Kirby was driving at speeds over 100 mph when he lost control of his car and crashed into Lewis.

LINK

Post #1   11/30/10 4:11:58PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Hope he gets destroyed in court and then raped in prison. Not because of who he killed either... I wish the same fate to anyone who makes the conscience decision to drink and drive; whether they get in a wreck or not. Because this sort of thing is exactly what can happen each and every time someone decides to drive drunk.

Last edited 11/30/10 7:32PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/30/10 7:32:17PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,207-1,505
Chips:
The guy had 2 prior DUI convictions. They should "throw the book at him".

Post #3   11/30/10 11:14:37PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Hope he gets destroyed in court and then raped in prison. Not because of who he killed either... I wish the same fate to anyone who makes the conscience decision to drink and drive; whether they get in a wreck or not. Because this sort of thing is exactly what can happen each and every time someone decides to drive drunk.

Ouch :( I just got a DUI. Although mine was a different circumstance. I'd literally just had a beer and a shot when they pulled me over. My lawyer fought it and I got a Wet and Reckless because it was complete bullshit.

Post #4   12/1/10 1:20:52AM   

Drudinh

MMA Sensei

Drudinh Avatar

Career:1,622-1,069
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I'm against any drinking and driving. It is sad that so many people do it and don't understand consequences. Say what you will about your own tolerance and belifs but it is dead wrong in my eyes. I could go on all day.

Post #5   12/1/10 5:15:07AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I loathe drunk drivers!

Post #6   12/1/10 10:46:14AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,037-1,270
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Ouch :( I just got a DUI. Although mine was a different circumstance. I'd literally just had a beer and a shot when they pulled me over. My lawyer fought it and I got a Wet and Reckless because it was complete bullshit.

It's complete b.s????

LOL!!!!

Post #7   12/1/10 11:29:18AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by bojangalz

All it takes for you to get a DUI is one drink in your system....you are lucky you weren't charged with a DUI instead of Wet & Reckless.

Post #8   12/1/10 11:46:52AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,478-860
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I thought Mask willingly raced this guy down a public street?

Post #9   12/1/10 3:13:36PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I thought Mask willingly raced this guy down a public street?

That's what I thought. And if true then in my experience a race normally takes more than one participant. Doesn't excuse being drunk whilst driving though.

Post #10   12/1/10 3:21:20PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,284-1,206
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Doesn't excuse being drunk whilst driving though.

This. The guy isn't on trial for racing.

Post #11   12/1/10 3:52:58PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,220-1,250
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I already lack sympathy for most people who get behind the wheel while drunk, but to do so drunk and then be arrogant enough to try and race someone shows a total lack of regard for the law.

although I won't go as far as to hope he gets raped, I agree with Bo that I hope he gets destroyed in court, and most importantly that he's taken off the road for good.

Post #12   12/1/10 4:27:04PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by JoeWarren33

It's complete b.s????

LOL!!!!

Yes, complete B.S. I will explain it to you. There is a large difference between drunk driving and blowing over the legal limit. If someone just had a beer and a shot then their Breathalyzer is going to read higher than it would if they hadn't drank for a minute.

Most times, what will happen is in situations like this, the individual will blow higher immediately after consuming alcohol. Defense attorney's call this the rising alcohol defense.

I'm sorry but I wasn't "drunk driving" because I had a shot and a beer with my friends right before I went home. That was all that I drank that night and was pulled over two seconds after I left the bar because my front licence plate is damaged and not "clearly" visible.

FYI, I was headed home because we were going to start drinking heavily and my friend & I don't believe in drinking and driving so we head to my house and drink there all night.

I got the Wet and Reckless because I was able to prove that I had only had those two items to drink and that everything I had been saying was the truth. Not to mention I'm a graduate student with no priors. Will I do it again? Absolutely not. Will I cop to be a "drunk driver?" Absolutely not.

Last edited 12/1/10 7:24PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   12/1/10 7:23:47PM