Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC won't start splitting weight classes

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
"I don't see it happening and I think Dana has his eye on the prize for why that would be a bad thing. When you add these lower weight belts, you're not running the risk of the boxing terrain, because you're not splitting weight classes to create new ones. We're just adding a few on the bottom. It would be a bigger concern if we had created a 195 weight class or something. What these new divisions do is give a platform to some of the most exciting lighter weight fighters in the world. It will bolster our fight cards. You look at some of these smaller fighters, Manny Gamburyan for instance, who was fighting in the UFC before he moved to the WEC. He moved to 145 from 155, but he could possibly even go lighter. All of the fighters will look at that." says UFC UK boss Marshall Zelaznik.

Link

Link to full interview

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   11/29/10 12:50:29PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm all for keeping the lighter weight classes and not sub-dividing all the other classes. In time I think a SHW division may prove fruitfull but not yet...If ever.
I would hate to see a super LHW, or super MW division and all the crap seep into MMA. I think the less weight classes the better. Keep it simple.

Post #2   11/29/10 2:27:43PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I think that a SHW class will eventually become necessary. There's a lot of big guys coming into the UFC who approach 300 lbs and the potential weight gap at HW is too big IMO. 60 pounds is a pretty large gap.

Everything else I agree with, the weight classes in boxing are a little ridiculous, you can take a large dump and wind up in a new weight class in boxing. It's pretty excessive and I hope MMA never goes down that route.

Post #3   11/29/10 4:10:09PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Thank god for that!!!
We don't need it to start being like boxing. Too many weight classes
When their is no need for it

Post #4   11/29/10 4:20:27PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,324-1,566
Chips:
Personally I think the UFC should "split weight classes". I think a 195lb division is needed as well as a 162lb and a 177lb division. Maybe 150lb and 140lb divisions too. Mark my words, within 5 years the UFC will "split weight classes" and create as many as 5 more weight divisions. I would bet they will also have woman's divisions before you know it too. They should utilize TUF to bring the ladies in. Imagine 16 female fighters in the TUF house? Sounds "interesting" to me! As far as the new UFC weight classes (135lb and 145lb) go...it should have been done long ago.

Post #5   11/29/10 4:44:57PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,550-909
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Sir_Karl

Personally I think the UFC should "split weight classes". I think a 195lb division is needed as well as a 162lb and a 177lb division. Maybe 150lb and 140lb divisions too. Mark my words, within 5 years the UFC will "split weight classes" and create as many as 5 more weight divisions. I would bet they will also have woman's divisions before you know it too. They should utilize TUF to bring the ladies in. Imagine 16 female fighters in the TUF house? Sounds "interesting" to me! As far as the new UFC weight classes (135lb and 145lb) go...it should have been done long ago.

While I hope you are badly wrong about the split in weight classes I think the idea of bringing in a womens divisions via the TUF route would be amazing if they accomplished it in a tastefull manner. Their are too many ways they could screw that one up and make it another bad episode of Bad Girls.

Post #6   11/29/10 4:54:36PM