Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alessio Sakara Reveals Why He Pulled Out Of UFC 122 Fight

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Bad tuna. Seriously. An all tuna diet.

Shaky camera work? Check. Chair awkwardly placed in front of a full-length mirror? Check. Poorly translated subtitles? Check. Odd excuse for why you missed weight/pulled out of a fight/didn’t win? Triple check. Having run down our checklist, we’re confident that Alessio Sakara’s explanation of why he withdrew from his scheduled bout with Jorge Rivera at UFC 122 earlier this month meets all the requirements of a standard postfight mea culpa video. To hear Sakara tell it, it was not the weight cut but rather some bad tuna fish that knocked him out of action just hours before the event. Since he was on an all tuna diet for at least a week before the fight, there aren’t a lot of other possibilities, the fighter says.

One thing is abundantly clear here: Sakara is straight bumming that he had to pull out of this fight. He says UFC 122 was set to be his first co-main event bout, his first UFC fight where a large contingent of Italians could travel up to see him compete and his first fight that was to be broadcast on Sky TV in Europe. So that pretty much sucks for him. Also, dude? All tuna fish diet? Nasty. The only thing we can think of that would be nastier is the resulting tuna-fish-induced rejection of it by your body. But don’t take our word for it, here it is straight from Sakara:

“Between vomiting, fever and sweating, I couldn’t hold down my liquids to gain back my weight (after the cut),” he says. “(The UFC medical staff) hooked up an IV to rehydrate my body, everything was done at the last minute. I want to especially thank the staff at UFC because they saw that I was not 100 percent. They said ‘If you’re not 100 percent, don’t fight. When you’re 100 percent you can (come back) and get the knockout …’

“On Monday when I returned to Rome I was still not 100 percent and still feeling sick. I went to the hospital, where they did an analysis. They think I contracted something from tuna fish. This was the only thing I ate the week before when I left Miami and also the week in Germany. So they think it was a sickness from the fish, which led to a bad stomach virus. The toxin levels are still high and I am still recovering now … Please believe me that I (was) hurt more than you by this … I promise I won’t eat tuna fish anymore. I took a good beating from this.”

Sakara is hoping to return to the Octagon in February or March. He’s keeping himself in shape so he’ll be ready to go at a moment’s notice. Meanwhile, Rivera appears to have moved on to bigger and better things, with an expected contest against Michael Bisping at UFC 127.

“This is just another part of my life,” explains the stoic Legionarius. “If I do not suffer, I will not be content.”

http://www.cagepotato.com/alessio-sakara-swears-tuna-fish-after-pulling-out-ufc-122
Video after the jump too. And I thought I'd been on some bad diets...

Post #1   11/28/10 8:03:32PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,952-1,623
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
An all tuna diet is really not that uncommon. It's an inexpensive, semi-non-perishable (assuming it was canned), ultra-lean protein. Most guys that have been involved in fighting or wrestling usually have a completely different perspective on tuna than the rest of the population. I'm sure it sucks to have to cancel such an important commitment at the last minute, but he'll be back.

Post #2   11/28/10 10:56:47PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Odd excuse? Not really. It was revealed it was an illness, and it's not that hard to understand he got a hold of some bad food. Seems very plausible. I feel for the guy, because he's been on a roll and that fight was going to probably earn him a lot of money, be it from a fight of the night or a knock out of the night bonus.

Here's to him getting back in there soon!

Post #3   11/29/10 10:34:44AM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
I ate a can of Tuna last night :)

Post #4   11/29/10 12:33:12PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,615-1,389
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I couldn't imagine eating just tuna only for a long period of time
Just thinking about it makes me sick

Post #5   11/29/10 8:32:12PM   

vomitshovel

MMA Regular

vomitshovel Avatar

Career:136-93
Camp: Xtreme Fight Militia
Chips:
Man i ate nothing but tuna for a week and it rocked :P Tuna salad, tuna roll, tuna salad roll....

Post #6   11/30/10 3:14:52AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,597-974
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Tuna is off the hook! If you compare the nutritional information and RDA's on a can of Tuna to something like a protein bar, it's amazing. Almost pure protein with very little fat.

Post #7   11/30/10 10:22:45AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
The Tuna Diet was exclusive during my high school wrestling days....mmmm, yummy

Post #8   11/30/10 10:46:31AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248