Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Maiquel Falcão: Gerald Harris tapped, three different times

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by Aether

ehhhhh some people I was watching it with thought it was a tap as well, but to me what it looked like was that he was thinking of tapping and then changed his mind and went to reach for the hand to try to loosen his grip. There should be a rule that a tap has to be clearly 3 taps in succession or something, because the little "fedor tap" looks far too much like someone just placing their hand on their opponent. If fighters have their arms tied up or are unable to tap 3 times for whatever reason they also have the option to submit verbally, so I don't think that such a rule would compromise fighter safety at all and I think it might help to clear up some of the "phantom tap" nonsense that pops up now and then.

I don't think that Harris tapped, but there were certainly some hand motions that I can understand being mistaken for a tap.

I totally agree that there should be some sort of rule in place that signifies a tap. It would eliminate situations such as these. I know at my gym if you don't tap at least a few times you may not get let go. Most guys are pretty good about it if they think you're trying, but that's during sparring. I'd imagine during a competition it would be another story. If you want out you gotta make damn sure you make it clear.

Like I said previously I'm not saying it happened in this fight. Falcao held on past the horn regardless of whether the horn was early or not, and I don't recall seeing Harris attempt to tap, or thinking that he did. I'm gonna have to go back and watch the fight and have another look though.

Post #16   11/24/10 9:09:04PM   

Sam_Rothstein

Belt Contender

Sam_Rothstein Avatar

Career:950-555
Chips:
I think his fight and this interview earned Falcao a title match....In the Heavyweight Division against Cain Valesquez.

Five 5 minute rounds and Falcao doesn't get to use a mouth piece

Last edited 11/29/10 2:07PM server time by sam_rothstein
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   11/29/10 2:07:20PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2