Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Maiquel Falcão: Gerald Harris tapped, three different times

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Erik Engelhart: Did everything go like you had planned for your debut on UFC?

Maiquel Falcão: The most important thing was my victory, but according to the game plan we’ve set, which was to hit so I could keep myself standing, I thought it was a good fight, despite I know I could’ve hit him more. I trained wrestling a lot to defend the takedowns and thanks God I was successful, here at Chute Boxe we are well assisted on wrestling and I have some experience on the modality, I’ve been joining some competitions.

EE: Did the fact that the referee did a huge mistake on the first round, finishing the fight before the regular time, disturbed you?

MF: It didn’t disturbed me because he (Gerald) said many stupid things to me, said he’d beat me easily, so I kind of liked it so I could punish him even more and I could make his suffering last longer.

LINK

Post #1   11/24/10 2:14:02PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I don't know what to think of this guy, hopefully he grows up a bit or else someone will make an example out of him.

Post #2   11/24/10 2:23:17PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
This isn't the first I've heard people accuse Harris of tapping in that fight

I rewatched the fight twice that night and I didn't see anything other than the clock being stopped early. I'd be interested if someone could find a video of this tap or even an animated Gif.

It looked to me like he was about to tap but the early bell saved him.

Post #3   11/24/10 2:28:04PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:
He tapped, and hid the fact that he was tapping?
Shenanigans, the whole point of tapping is to notify the ref that you're done.

Post #4   11/24/10 2:46:06PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Or he could have been tapping to get him to losen up the submission. people do cheat.

I want to rewatch the fight because i remember it looked like he tapped right after sunk in the choke in the first round.

Post #5   11/24/10 3:36:06PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

I'm not saying it happened because I didn't see it happen, but I've heard of the "phantom tap" where you try to tap so the ref doesn't see it, but your opponent releases, or loosens the hold enough for you to escape.

Post #6   11/24/10 3:40:54PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

I'm not saying it happened because I didn't see it happen, but I've heard of the "phantom tap" where you try to tap so the ref doesn't see it, but your opponent releases, or loosens the hold enough for you to escape.

I believe Sonnen was accused of this...

Post #7   11/24/10 3:48:17PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dolloway has been accused of it as well.

Post #8   11/24/10 3:53:48PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RyanC

I believe Sonnen was accused of this...

That is one case I was thinking of. I've also heard stories of it happening in BJJ tourneys.

Post #9   11/24/10 3:56:59PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:
it had looked like he tapped a couple different times while watching it live. when it happened i thought the ref stopped it because of the tap. As a spectator it was a very confusing situation!

after seeing the slow mo replays it looked more like Harris did a single open handed grab towards Falcao's hands. it looked like a tap at normal speed. i think IF he tapped it was while he was face down.

I see alot of negative opinions about Falcao but i think the guy put on a good performance with a wrestler who didnt want to engage with him. if the time keeper didnt stop the round early and he finished Harris, would people be hating on him?

Post #10   11/24/10 4:54:53PM   

babalu46

In Full Mount

babalu46 Avatar

Career:1,056-647
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

it had looked like he tapped a couple different times while watching it live. when it happened i thought the ref stopped it because of the tap. As a spectator it was a very confusing situation!

after seeing the slow mo replays it looked more like Harris did a single open handed grab towards Falcao's hands. it looked like a tap at normal speed. i think IF he tapped it was while he was face down.

I see alot of negative opinions about Falcao but i think the guy put on a good performance with a wrestler who didnt want to engage with him. if the time keeper didnt stop the round early and he finished Harris, would people be hating on him?

I wouldn't be but the bell went and he held on the choke that's why i don't like the guy at this point in time, i've already admitted I was impressed by his skills but holding the choke to me is hard to justify.

Post #11   11/24/10 5:03:49PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

The problem with that theory though is that the bell and ref couldn't get him to unlatch his submission...did Gerald really think a fake tap would do the trick? I'm thinking probably not.

Post #12   11/24/10 6:07:39PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,022-1,244
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
either way harris lost and was dropped...tap or no tap

falcaos next fight(s) will really tell if hes legit... he did look good though when he engaged

Post #13   11/24/10 6:51:18PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by RyanC

The problem with that theory though is that the bell and ref couldn't get him to unlatch his submission...did Gerald really think a fake tap would do the trick? I'm thinking probably not.

It's not a theory. As I said I didn't see it happen, and therefor have no reason to believe it did. I'm just saying that it wouldn't be the first time someone had tried it.

Post #14   11/24/10 7:59:49PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
ehhhhh some people I was watching it with thought it was a tap as well, but to me what it looked like was that he was thinking of tapping and then changed his mind and went to reach for the hand to try to loosen his grip. There should be a rule that a tap has to be clearly 3 taps in succession or something, because the little "fedor tap" looks far too much like someone just placing their hand on their opponent. If fighters have their arms tied up or are unable to tap 3 times for whatever reason they also have the option to submit verbally, so I don't think that such a rule would compromise fighter safety at all and I think it might help to clear up some of the "phantom tap" nonsense that pops up now and then.

I don't think that Harris tapped, but there were certainly some hand motions that I can understand being mistaken for a tap.

Post #15   11/24/10 8:35:50PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2