Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Is Dana White Creating The Boring Fights?

Print  
Posted By Message

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
UFC has come under alot of critisism for the lack of action in some fights, but with the recent cut of Gerald Harris and the cut a few months ago of Eliot Marshall (both started 3-0 and lost 1 fight and were cut) with all the pressure of losing just one fight and being cut regardless of what kind of win streak you are on fighters are going to fight for points and to win decisions and not take chances to finish fights, anyone else agree?

Post #1   11/24/10 12:13:35AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
it seems to me that dana is big on the whole "dont leave it in the hands of the judges" thing. if a guy wins 3 in a row by way of boring decision and then gets cut when he loses his next fight, its probably more because hes a boring fighter. although i dont disagree with you as much as i think that only time will tell with the wec merger happening and talk of more fighters being cut. to be honest ive been more irritated with the lackluster main events like rampage/machida, rampage/evens, bispings last snoozfest etc. i think guys deserve getting cut if they dont put on a good show for the fans very often. we as fans are everything, without our approval there is no ufc. if people cant keep us entertained then they need to go away.

Post #2   11/24/10 3:25:27AM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

UFC has come under alot of critisism for the lack of action in some fights, but with the recent cut of Gerald Harris and the cut a few months ago of Eliot Marshall (both started 3-0 and lost 1 fight and were cut) with all the pressure of losing just one fight and being cut regardless of what kind of win streak you are on fighters are going to fight for points and to win decisions and not take chances to finish fights, anyone else agree?

Do you really want to see Elliot Marshall fight in the UFC? He may have had some wins but that guy was pretty painful to watch.

Post #3   11/24/10 9:50:29AM   

Southside11

MMA Regular

Southside11 Avatar

Career:2,250-1,365
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I feel the UFC is trying to send a message to not put on boring fights but picking and choosing who they punish and when. To me there isn't much rhyme or reason to their decisions sometimes. I think that with the UFC being quick to cut these guys over a boring round/fight, a lose or two in a row, or for whatever reasons, that's part of the reason so many fights are going to decisions anymore. I do agree that the level of competition has increased and finishing guys is more difficult, but it seems most guys are so tentative cause one lose could result in losing your job (a la Harris-3 finishes in a row, 1 boring fight-UR GONE). I see guys like Jon Fitch or Lyoto Machida as being 2 of the most boring fighters to watch in the UFC (I don't hate theses guys-they are good at what they do), but I don't see the UFC cutting these guys or any of the Jackson camp guys (who I also find boring with a few exceptions).

Post #4   11/24/10 10:27:23AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Joe silva needs to scout these guys better. Regardless of win record
If they hump them to death like nik lentz why sign them
They need to cut the fat away. Not good fighters like harris

I agree. I doubt dana cuts any aka or jackson fighters
This was a bad cut!! The fans don't agree with it

No offense but harris wins three in a row by ko loses gets cut
But tyson griffin loses 3 in a row and still has a job

Doesn't make sense

Post #5   11/24/10 10:40:27AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
It's an interesting spot they have potentially put themselves in and almost dare say it could fester into a hole.

Very good topic by the way.

It's a hard thing I imagine for Zuffa to find fighters that are not only entertaining but have the skill set to warrant their stay inside the UFC. It has been mentioned several times that Pride focused more on a fighters performance or drawing power, or in the best of both worlds both rather than their record.
I know Zuffa can't possibly keep every fighter on the pay roll but their are certainly other avenues.
I believe the WEC/UFC merger is probably going to be a good investiment in the end but I think it would be wise for Zuffa to have a third avenue for fighters they could keep under their branch,yet possibly make the pay substanitaly less but inticing enough to keep them from straying to other promotions?
Make it a "B" or even "C" level UFC but still offers athletes with a name behind their skill set.

Post #6   11/24/10 1:56:28PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
I don't think Dana has anything to do with it, I think it's more a matter of the age that mma has evolved into. Think about all the exciting fighters out there in 2010, and now think about how many of them have been successful in the last couple of years? Marius Zaromskis jumps out at me. He had devastating kicking power against inferior opponents, but as soon as the ante was upped on him, he has crumbled. The same can be said for almost every Asian striker out there, Cro Cop, Wanderlei and even Rampage to a certain degree. Blind aggression may be entertaining, but it fails to put food on your plate when your injured, and it leads to a higher percentage of lost fights. Fighters now have way more options now to exploit their opponents with in a highly specialized way, unfortunately, these methods are not always the most exciting. I think those folks who demand high octane action should move on to another sport, because MMA fighters are just going to become more and more skilled, which will result in more stalemates as strategy ensues, instead of fighting like Bonnar in every fight.

Post #7   11/24/10 7:01:06PM