Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Joe Rogan's Homophobic Slur May End in Reporter's Dismissal; Rogan Apologizes for Use of Term

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:2,212-1,253
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The situation started ugly and only got worse. As the day went on slurs flew along with hard words. It ended with the UFC's iconic announcer Joe Rogan claiming credit for getting Fighter's Only writer Tomas Rios fired from one of the industry's leading magazines and using a homophobic slur to describe the reporter.

It all began, believe it or not, with an obscure kick popularized by Brazilian K-1 star Francisco Fihlo. The so-called "Brazilian kick" was employed in the Tyson Griffin-Nik Lentz fight at UFC 123. Rogan, a former taekwondo standout, called the kick a "question mark kick" and Rios, an acerbic and aggressive journalist took him to task on twitter:

"Joe Rogan calling a Brazilian kick the "question mark kick" during Griffin/Lentz is pantheon level cluelessness."

Link

Post #1   11/23/10 1:17:08AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-506
Chips:

As for my use of the offensive word "f**got" please accept my apologies and replace it with "c**k-sucker." Thank you, and good day.

ROFL!

I think Joe's "apology" sums up my thoughts on the whole thing pretty well. I think people are ridiculously over-sensitive, especially when it comes to words. What matters is the intent behind the word, not the specific combination of letters you use. He clearly wasn't using the word in a homophobic context.

Whatever definitions a word may have, they change and are assigned new ones over time as a result of the way people use them and the context in which they are used. I'm sure gay people have a raw deal in this world, but whatever prejudices they may face it's ridiculous to get offended over a word IMO.

That word has pretty much been re-appropriated to be synonymous with a-hole or sh**-head. It's really just a general insult that people toss out at this point, to automatically accuse anyone who utters it of being homophobic makes no sense. His intent in using it seems pretty clearly to have nothing to do with his views of gay people. The manner in which people swear and insult one another evolves with our culture, and this word has become an incredibly popular, common, generic insult, get over it.

edit:
Louis CK says it best.
not safe for work

Last edited 11/23/10 2:40AM server time by Aether
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   11/23/10 2:31:28AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by Aether

As for my use of the offensive word "f**got" please accept my apologies and replace it with "c**k-sucker." Thank you, and good day.

ROFL!

I think Joe's "apology" sums up my thoughts on the whole thing pretty well. I think people are ridiculously over-sensitive, especially when it comes to words. What matters is the intent behind the word, not the specific combination of letters you use. He clearly wasn't using the word in a homophobic context.

Whatever definitions a word may have, they change and are assigned new ones over time as a result of the way people use them and the context in which they are used. I'm sure gay people have a raw deal in this world, but whatever prejudices they may face it's ridiculous to get offended over a word IMO.

That word has pretty much been re-appropriated to be synonymous with a-hole or sh**-head. It's really just a general insult that people toss out at this point, to automatically accuse anyone who utters it of being homophobic makes no sense. His intent in using it seems pretty clearly to have nothing to do with his views of gay people. The manner in which people swear and insult one another evolves with our culture, and this word has become an incredibly popular, common, generic insult, get over it.

edit:
Louis CK says it best.
not safe for work

Alright, without getting into a debate and thrown off this site, I am just going to make one point and then shut up. I can only assume you are not gay (no need to answer that, I am not calling you out), because I know a lot of gay folks, and they are really quite sensitive to this type of language, whether the intention was there or not. To use the word that Joe used is simply a matter of taste and intellect. Joe attempts to show off his higher intellect all the time, but then he uses brainless crap like this to get his point across, when he could use something far less crass and make just as much of an impact. f@ggot is a disrespectful word that you KNOW is going to offend certain people when they hear it, so why use it? There's obviously a line we must draw with political correctness, but the use of f@ggot, an obvious term created with the intent of insulting gays, should not be used. Case closed.

Post #3   11/23/10 7:52:03AM   

The_Metal_Maniac

You Can't Andle My Riddum!

The_Metal_Maniac Avatar

Career:2,234-1,225
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I think the entire situation is ridiculous, we are talking about grown men right?

Post #4   11/23/10 8:39:22AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,757-1,800
Camp: Alpha Mafia
Chips:
joe rogan was a tae kwon do standout? i know he does bjj, but didnt know he was kung fu master

Post #5   11/23/10 8:50:31AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:5,376-2,966
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

joe rogan was a tae kwon do standout? i know he does bjj, but didnt know he was kung fu master

Yeah, Rogan had an extensive TKD career. A little factoid: Joe actually helped GSP improve his spinning back kick.

Post #6   11/23/10 10:54:32AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:923-654
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Rogan is the man. Everything I know I learned from him. He knows more grappling positions and stand up than anyone. Only commentator close is Mir, than way behind in 3rd place is Bonnar. Bas Rutten is annoying to me, and I am not to impressed with anyone else.

Post #7   11/23/10 11:00:28AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:5,376-2,966
Chips:

Posted by Aether

ROFL!

edit:
Louis CK says it best.
not safe for work

Brilliant post!

I also find it interesting that the title of the article calls it a homophobic slur. It's obviously a slur, but there was nothing homophobic about it.

Post #8   11/23/10 11:16:04AM   

tberg420

Standup Guy

tberg420 Avatar

Career:1,578-861
Chips:
I've heard worse come from the mouths of the gay guys at work. Words only offend people that need an excuse to be emotionally weak. It's just a word unless someone makes it more then that.

Post #9   11/23/10 11:19:25AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:6,006-3,321
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
There is no word in the world you need to apologize about unless you say
The N word !!!!

Post #10   11/23/10 11:48:09AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:865-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by Aether

ROFL!

edit:
Louis CK says it best.
not safe for work

I can only assume you are not gay (no need to answer that, I am not calling you out), because I know a lot of gay folks, and they are really quite sensitive to this type of language, whether the intention was there or not.

I think your friends are gay activists not normal gay people. I know one (out of hundreds) that would be offended by something like that and all of his gay friends make fun of him for being so sensitive to stuff like that....according to him he's working on not being such a "sensitive pansy"

calling comments like that homophopic is gay to me.

Last edited 11/23/10 11:59AM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   11/23/10 11:58:29AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:2,373-1,526
Chips:
I used to not like Joe Rogan. I never liked his stand up, or fear factor, and I found his voice annoying. But damnit he has some extensive fight knowledge and he is a fairly smart dude. And I love how he talks **** on the controversial decisions in-ring.

I hope he does not get fired over this. Dana White has made way more "offensive" comments, and he is the UFC President! It would be highly hypocritical for them to fire Joe over this.

And as far as the word itself... Everyone has a word that sets them off. There are countless slurs for all different types of people, be they defined by gender, race or sexual orientation. I say if you get pissed off at a certain word, that just shows your particular insecurity.

Personally I love anything that slanders a person's race, sex, religion or creed! And I have friends and family that make up every demographic you can think of. I am just an equal opportunity jerk! I laugh at dead baby jokes....

Post #12   11/23/10 12:24:17PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,410-903
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

There is no word in the world you need to apologize about unless you say
The N word !!!!

You're kidding right?

Post #13   11/23/10 12:57:53PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
They are just words. When words turn physical then we have a problem, but until then, EVERYBODY needs to relax no matter what race or orientation. There are way bigger problems right now and people have enough to worry about. In defense of the gay people who were offended though, f**got to them is like the "N word" . But again they are just words

Post #14   11/23/10 12:59:27PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:4,034-2,969
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

Taekwondo is not Kung Fu. Taekwondo is from Korea. Kung Fu is from China.

Post #15   11/23/10 12:59:57PM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3