Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sonnen Has Been Undergoing Hormone Replacement Therapy For at Least the Past Year and Assumed CSAC Knew

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by submissionartist1

Yeah but so does nick diaz with the medi pot and that pull no strings

as far as i know nick diaz was never cleared previously for marijuana under the CSAC. for the Okami fight Sonnen had the CSAC clear this treatment, and he assumed that since he cleared it already he didn't have to do it again. he was wrong for assuming, but he has a good case to win his appeal.

If I remember right, the AC had a different regime at the time and basically had in effect told Diaz that they would let him know a few weeks in advance if he would have to take a drug test. Basically making it a wink wink not so random test. Nothing being on file. Then they basically said he had to take a drug test in the next day or two prior to a fight so he pulled out of it. That was all per Cesar Gracie and hopefully I got the details right as I didn't look it up, but that's the basic idea. I think that's what is being referred to.

Last edited 11/19/10 2:49PM server time by kpro
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #16   11/19/10 2:39:09PM   

scooter19820

Learning to Sprawl

scooter19820 Avatar

Career:557-359
Camp: Ricardo Arona's Skull
Chips:
"The issue would be whether or not he informed the commission ahead of time, because in cases like that, at least in Nevada, you have to ask for an exemption well in advance, have the commission doctors and your doctors talk and get it approved, and you still can't have a higher than normal level in your system when being tested which requires additional lab work. Those type of exemptions being approved are rare."

I hope Sonnen is telling the truth, but it does state here in the article that you still can't have a higher than normal level in your system when being tested. They found a much higher level then normal in his system, so I think he would still have to receive a stiff penalty.

Last edited 11/19/10 4:30PM server time by scooter19820
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   11/19/10 4:29:50PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,387-1,222
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by scooter19820

"The issue would be whether or not he informed the commission ahead of time, because in cases like that, at least in Nevada, you have to ask for an exemption well in advance, have the commission doctors and your doctors talk and get it approved, and you still can't have a higher than normal level in your system when being tested which requires additional lab work. Those type of exemptions being approved are rare."

I hope Sonnen is telling the truth, but it does state here in the article that you still can't have a higher than normal level in your system when being tested. They found a much higher level then normal in his system, so I think he would still have to receive a stiff penalty.

I don't know if this is a daily/weekly/etc therapy or even how it's taken but I'd assume that right when you take it, your levels would spike just like when you take any other form of medication. I don't know how you'd prove one way or the other how recently it was taken prior to the test but if you're inflated level is consistent with a normal recent dose....

Post #18   11/19/10 4:40:35PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i hope it clears his name for the middleweight divisions sake. i was really not impressed with marquart (sp?) or okami. as for vitor i still get the feeling that he is getting a title shot kinda early. im not complaining because i like vitor but i think they needed a fight for silva because there just isnt that many other fighters in the division that deserved a shot. sonnen has so far been the only fighter to point out silvas weekness and now silvas fighting vitor who is a standup guy puting the fight right back into silvas strenghts. i hope sonnen gets another chance at silva to see if silva has brushed up on his wrestling defense. champions should be tested, and sonnen tested silva. we already know silvas got great hands so i want to see a wrestler fight silva again so that is also a reason i was happy to see okami beat nate.

Post #19   11/19/10 5:09:16PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
Everything will be fine as I knew it would be.

Post #20   11/19/10 5:35:49PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

If this in fact what Sonnen's reason for elevated levels is going to be than wouldn't you expect him to get out in front of the story immediately following the first news of the botched test? I'm not certain what his reason for waiting would be (especailly for someone who likes to talk as much as he does).

I'm sure when asked he'll provide the obigatory "I was acting on the advice of my legal council not to speak on the matter." Which I suppose will have to pass for reason enough to stay quite.

Do I think there's a legit possibility that Chael has a hormonal defiency? Sure. But at the same time you're not going to be able to pull the wool over my eyes on the issue. He may injecting legal, prescribed replacement hormones, but that leaves a wide open door to continue to inject god knows what else as well.

He's got a built in excuse for elevated testosterone. As does anyone else who is able to obtain a legitimate prescription for such theropies. I think it would be foolish to not at least suspect him of using more than simply what he is prescribed.

Frankly though, at the end of the day who really gives a damn. The PED witch-hunt is one of the biggest fallacies of sports media history. The fact of the matter is there has never been a true scientific study that proves the moderate use of steroids has any negative short term or long term effects on the human body.

I'm in complete agreement with you.
I really take note of what you mentioned in the beginning of your post.
Why wait so long to release this? Sonnen cancled apperances and everything. Becoming almost mute. And after all this time he finally releases this? He should have been screaming this right after the #($^ hit the fan.

Post #21   11/19/10 8:21:05PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
Off the top of my head I just thought this: as a fighter myself I know that every 180 days ill have to get bloodwork done in order for them to let me fight. If I don't get the bloodwork and show proof to the doctors and get the ok slip ill get in trouble Regardless of whether I have something or not. Bottom line is that chael is a retard for not covering his ass. Especially with all that was on the line

Post #22   11/19/10 11:26:21PM   

shane

Learning to Sprawl

shane Avatar

Career:582-446
Camp: whyTHEear
Chips:
true or not it sounds like he is tring to save face after all the crap he talked about Armstrong.

Post #23   11/20/10 7:52:14AM   

DJBlankenship

MMA Regular

DJBlankenship Avatar

Career:634-525
Chips:
I hope he gets it appealed. I was a semi-Sonnen fan before and after the Silva fight, well he moved up to my favorite. Like him or not, the guy comes to fight and you are going to have to beat a man like that. Any fighter that goes out and puts it all on the line has my respect. Do I think he's the best in the world.....HELL NO. And I'm not saying he would beat the best. All I'm saying is if you put him up against any fighter, any weight class, Sonnen would make it a fight.

If the UFC had more guys like this, we would never see a boring fight.

Post #24   11/21/10 5:30:12PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2