Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sonnen Has Been Undergoing Hormone Replacement Therapy For at Least the Past Year and Assumed CSAC Knew

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
According to the story, Sonnen has been undergoing hormone replacement therapy since before his fight with Yushin Okami, which he reported to and was given clearance to fight by the California State Athletic Commission prior to the the bout. Because it is a permanent treatment Sonnen allegedly assumed his doctor prescribed required testosterone treatment would be on file, and thus never re-reported it to the commission.

Testosterone levels can drop off for various reasons, including age, hereditary reasons or because of stress the endocrine system is due to a number of variables, not limited to repeated weight fluctuation and dehydration caused by weight cutting.

...Read More ...

Post #1   11/19/10 12:25:25AM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Not sure if this closes a can of worms or opens a new one.

Post #2   11/19/10 12:26:24AM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
Here's the bottom line:

He took testosterone. He tested abnormally high for it. Therefore, it's considered a performance enhancer.

He took PED's, he should be out until September. At that point, he should have to grind out a couple uneventful decisions before he gets back to the title.

This does nothing to clear his name IMO.

*Chael Sonnen (I think that's a star, not an asterex, but you get the point)

Post #3   11/19/10 1:17:32AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

Here's the bottom line:

He took testosterone. He tested abnormally high for it. Therefore, it's considered a performance enhancer.

He took PED's, he should be out until September. At that point, he should have to grind out a couple uneventful decisions before he gets back to the title.

i disagree. i actually think this might allow him to win. he will get punished, but if you look at the facts you can see why he has a legitimate case:

These are the facts, as best I can ascertain. - Sonnen is on Hormone Replacement Therapy. - HRT is a "permanent therapy" and not something you do for three months and then are done with it. - When he fought Okami in LA, Sonnen declared it, jumped through hoops and did the entire shebang. - CSAC approved it. - Sonnen came back to fight in Cali again and, since HRT is a permanent therapy and in his case had been approved by CSAC before, he didn't think he'd have to jump through hoops AGAIN. - Unbeknownst to him, CSAC had changed since his last fight in California and the new commission wanted to turn over a new leaf and be nothing like the commission of old.

The CSAC had already approved this HRT. because of this precedent he has a very good chance of winning his appeal.

Post #4   11/19/10 1:56:08AM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by ChokeUout

Here's the bottom line:

i disagree. i actually think this might allow him to win. he will get punished, but if you look at the facts you can see why he has a legitimate case:

These are the facts, as best I can ascertain. - Sonnen is on Hormone Replacement Therapy. - HRT is a "permanent therapy" and not something you do for three months and then are done with it. - When he fought Okami in LA, Sonnen declared it, jumped through hoops and did the entire shebang. - CSAC approved it. - Sonnen came back to fight in Cali again and, since HRT is a permanent therapy and in his case had been approved by CSAC before, he didn't think he'd have to jump through hoops AGAIN. - Unbeknownst to him, CSAC had changed since his last fight in California and the new commission wanted to turn over a new leaf and be nothing like the commission of old.

The CSAC had already approved this HRT. because of this precedent he has a very good chance of winning his appeal.

Yeah but so does nick diaz with the medi pot and that pull no strings

Post #5   11/19/10 2:21:38AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

Here's the bottom line:

Uhhhh, he was prescribed them by a doctor, reported it to the CSAC in a previous fight and was cleared. How does this do nothing to clear his name? rofl. It is pretty clear evidence that he wasn't just cheating if what he is saying is true.

Post #6   11/19/10 3:03:47AM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,573-1,315
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Post #7   11/19/10 4:05:46AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
If this in fact what Sonnen's reason for elevated levels is going to be than wouldn't you expect him to get out in front of the story immediately following the first news of the botched test? I'm not certain what his reason for waiting would be (especailly for someone who likes to talk as much as he does).

I'm sure when asked he'll provide the obigatory "I was acting on the advice of my legal council not to speak on the matter." Which I suppose will have to pass for reason enough to stay quite.

Do I think there's a legit possibility that Chael has a hormonal defiency? Sure. But at the same time you're not going to be able to pull the wool over my eyes on the issue. He may injecting legal, prescribed replacement hormones, but that leaves a wide open door to continue to inject god knows what else as well.

He's got a built in excuse for elevated testosterone. As does anyone else who is able to obtain a legitimate prescription for such theropies. I think it would be foolish to not at least suspect him of using more than simply what he is prescribed.

Frankly though, at the end of the day who really gives a damn. The PED witch-hunt is one of the biggest fallacies of sports media history. The fact of the matter is there has never been a true scientific study that proves the moderate use of steroids has any negative short term or long term effects on the human body.

Post #8   11/19/10 6:00:01AM   

ianinspain

MMA Regular

ianinspain Avatar

Career:754-517
Chips:
Given how vocal we know he is I am very supprised this was not mentioned before. I would have expected him to have come straight out and explained this situation ages ago

Post #9   11/19/10 7:02:19AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
If he is telling the truth and has proff to back it up he is going to be fine Randy Couture does the same type of therapy and Joe Rogan spoke of it on a fight broadcast.

Post #10   11/19/10 7:54:22AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
Does that mean if he stops taking testosterone replacements there is a chance he will become Gayle Sonnen?

Post #11   11/19/10 8:48:46AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,022-1,244
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
so he's either becoming or a woman, or a woman trying to become a man? or going through menopause?

Post #12   11/19/10 9:05:31AM   

pmoney

P$ Pimpin'

pmoney Avatar

Career:1,557-943
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If he had been cleared once by the CSAC, then why the suspension? You would think the Athletic Commission would be on it. Just call it a loss. He got sloppy towards the end and got caught in the triangle. **** Belfort, do Sonnen v. Silva 2, if you have questions about the pandora's box for additional substance abuse that this opens, take it up with the CSAC who cleared him to fight Okami.

If the statements in the original article are all true, I would equate it to Dez Bryant being suspended in college football for lying about hanging out with Neon Deon. There were no rules broken, he just lied about it so he got punished. Lame!!

Post #13   11/19/10 11:11:56AM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

so he's either becoming or a woman, or a woman trying to become a man? or going through menopause?

manopause would be more accurate

Post #14   11/19/10 11:49:05AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by submissionartist1

Yeah but so does nick diaz with the medi pot and that pull no strings

as far as i know nick diaz was never cleared previously for marijuana under the CSAC. for the Okami fight Sonnen had the CSAC clear this treatment, and he assumed that since he cleared it already he didn't have to do it again. he was wrong for assuming, but he has a good case to win his appeal.

and as for why he wasn't vocal about it, Sonnen is only vocal to promote himself. he is probably embarrassed about this and wanted to keep it quite until the trial happened. trhis information was not disclosed by Sonnen, but by Meltzer. this leads me to beleive it is true and that SOnnen just doesn't want to talk about it.

Post #15   11/19/10 2:24:49PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2