Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Don Frye Says Brock Lesnar Is An "Embarrassment" And UFC "Hand Picked" His Opponents

Print  
  Page 1 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
That's apparently what he told the website hurtsbad.com in a recent interview, and he's still telling it like it is. "We have all had to watch Brock Lesnar fart around. That guy is an embarrassment. God damn, you get to hand pick his opponents for him for awhile then someone who is a half way decent athlete comes along and hits him once and he pisses his pants and runs. If he wasn't in a cage he would still be running."

Article

Last edited 11/18/10 8:52PM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   11/18/10 8:52:01PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Oh no.

Post #2   11/18/10 8:59:39PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,135-1,197
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
After the Walker thread I can't help but feel like this is an elaborate troll.

Well done Don Frye

Post #3   11/18/10 9:13:23PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I would disagree to the extent that I don't think Shane Carwin was hand picked. Carwin should've been the one to smash Brock, but he gassed, and Brock capitalized. Other than that I completely agree. Frank Mir twice, Heath Herring, and Randy Couture. No disrespect to any of them, but Brock had a strength and size advantage in all of those fights, and none of them were going to punch Brock in the mouth the way his last two opponents did. They gave him opponents that would allow him to use his wrestling, and give him a very, very good chance for a win.

Post #4   11/18/10 9:24:40PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,135-1,197
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

I would disagree to the extent that I don't think Shane Carwin was hand picked. Carwin should've been the one to smash Brock, but he gassed, and Brock capitalized. Other than that I completely agree. Frank Mir twice, Heath Herring, and Randy Couture. No disrespect to any of them, but Brock had a strength and size advantage in all of those fights, and none of them were going to punch Brock in the mouth the way his last two opponents did. They gave him opponents that would allow him to use his wrestling, and give him a very, very good chance for a win.

I don't know how anyone could say ANY of Brocks opponents were handpicked. Its also pretty clear that Brock has a strength and size advantage over pretty much everyone in the HW division.

As for his opponents

Couture was the title holder!?! Should he have said no thanks Dana, I'll pass on the title shot, I'm really looking for more of a challenge? thats the craziest thing i've ever heard.

Mir was the former HW champion of the world and at the time the best grappler in the UFC HW division. It was Lesnar's second fight, I'd hate to see who you and Frye thought he should have been fighting as a UFC debut.

Herring was the "easiest" fight he had in the UFC and even that isn't much of a handpicked assignment for a 1-1 fighter.

Post #5   11/18/10 9:39:59PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,715-1,505
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I don't know how you hand pick the title holder or the consensus #1 contender. Mir beat him which made the rematch 100% in order, and if Carwin was handpicked then his near defeat of Lesnar sure changed that. I'm not a Lesnar fan, by a long shot, but he deserves a million times more credit than Frye is giving him.

Post #6   11/18/10 10:25:18PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by RyanC

I don't know how anyone could say ANY of Brocks opponents were handpicked. Its also pretty clear that Brock has a strength and size advantage over pretty much everyone in the HW division.

As for his opponents

Couture was the title holder!?! Should he have said no thanks Dana, I'll pass on the title shot, I'm really looking for more of a challenge? thats the craziest thing i've ever heard.

Mir was the former HW champion of the world and at the time the best grappler in the UFC HW division. It was Lesnar's second fight, I'd hate to see who you and Frye thought he should have been fighting as a UFC debut.

Herring was the "easiest" fight he had in the UFC and even that isn't much of a handpicked assignment for a 1-1 fighter.

The first Mir fight I thought Lesnar had his work cut out for him, but the second time I thought he would win. Athletically Mir was at a distinct disadvantage. The first time Mir was able to outsmart him, and use his ground skills. I don't disagree at all with what you're saying about Couture, but Lesnar probably outweighed him by 60 pounds. They were barely in the same weight division. I still think Herring was meant as a sacraficial offering to get Lesnar a win that meant something since he is/was experienced, and very tough. But let's face it Lesnar's wrestling skills, size, and athleticism gave him a huge advantage.

I'm not calling Brock a chump, and I'm not saying his opponents were not extremely tough, but none of them were the type of fighter that was really going to put the pressure on him with their striking, and make him have to respond to that aspect of their game. They all had gameplans, and styles that played right into the strengths of Brock Lesnar. Now that he's faced a couple of guys that have punched him in the mouth we've seen that he folds under the pressure.

When I really think about it I don't think there was any top level guys with that kind of skillset for him to face at the time, so he really was facing the best they had. I just think the guys he faced early on played very nicely into his game which allowed him to succeed.

Last edited 11/18/10 10:45PM server time by RyanC
2 total post edits

Post #7   11/18/10 10:41:00PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Even if his opponent were "handpicked", um those were some of the toughest "handpicked" opponents. Not like his opponent were handpicked and were easy fights to get him wins.

All I got to say is, C'mon Man!

Post #8   11/18/10 11:10:03PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
I can see both sides of this. I agree that he has fought some names, but he has also fought names with weaknesses he can capitalize on. I also think Cro Cop turned him down at one point if I am not mistaken. I think the UFC may be guilty of giving him an easy road to thebelt for sure, and the easiest of the up n coming challengers in Carwin. I think the UFC thought he was tougher than he is when he faced Carwin. I think they thought he would out wrestle Carwin and win easily.Then they found out he doesn't care much for getting hit. But the fatc is he is a draw, but not the draw Cain COULD BE if used properly. The UFC has been looking for their ODH for a while.

Post #9   11/18/10 11:24:06PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Why is it that people give Don Frye so much credit? If any other fighter made these comments, everyone would be up in arms, but we seem to always give Don Frye a pass. The man is ridiculous.

Post #10   11/19/10 12:06:54AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Chips:
Speaking of "hand picking" opponents lets not forget that the last two guys Frye fought weren't even at the UFC level (although Herman may be getting close). Neither one had much of a ground game and both were very much younger and less experienced than Frye. If the statement was accurate to begin with (which it isn't IMO) then this would definately be a case of the hypocrites.

Post #11   11/19/10 12:11:25AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,603-874
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Frank Mir, Randy Couture, Heath Herring, and Shane Carwin all had "weaknesses that Lesnar could exploit." That's because Lesnar has a strength that allows him to compete with the top of the division. He's an elite heavyweight because his skillset permits him a serious advantage against almost every heavyweight there is.

Outside of Velasquez, what fighters in the UFC would be favored to beat Lesnar?

EDIT: I feel terrible defending Lesnar.

Last edited 11/19/10 12:26AM server time by lohmann

Post #12   11/19/10 12:25:12AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I'll say the same thing I said on the Walker thread; this is a joke. Lesnar is a great athlete who can compete with anyone. Does he need to work on a few things? Sure, but who doesn't? I still like Lesnar against anyone in that division not named Velasquez or Carwin. I think in a rematch, Carwin would best him. For right now, I guess it's only fair to say that I like him against anyone not named Velasquez.

I do think he would steamroll Dos Santos. As good as Dos Santos has shown his take-down defense to be, he hasn't done it against someone with the size, speed, agility, and strength of Lesnar. I'm pretty sure that Lesnar would know he'd need to plant Dos Santos on his ass to stand a chance of winning that fight. He won't win it standing up.

Lesnar has had anything but an easy shot to the top. Mir x2, Couture, Herring, Carwin, and Velasquez. Please! Those are ALL extremely tough opponents.

Don Frye's biggest notches are Goodridge and, MAYBE, Shamrock. Hell, he lost to Minowa. For that matter, didn't a bodyguard beat Don Frye's ass?

link

Post #13   11/19/10 5:41:36AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,216-777
Camp: JTV All-Stars
Chips:
DON FRYE HAS SPOKEN.... IT MUST BE TRUE.

His mustache beats the **** out of the lies he tries to tell before they can even escape to other human's ears.

Post #14   11/19/10 8:35:49AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,937-1,199
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
if any, maybe Herring was...but that was to break him in..see if he deserves better

you cant ever count Randy out..he can beat anyone

Mir is good

Carwin is good

Valesquez is better

it's not like they are throwing him in against Rolles Gracie or other crap heavyweights

Post #15   11/19/10 9:07:27AM   

Page 1 of 3     1     2     3