Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is Herschel Walker An Embarrassment To MMA?

Print  
  Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Posted by Gannon

Thanks KPro that makes me feel much better :)

Scott Carson had to step in for Vince Young who pulled out of the fight when it was announced there would be a Wonderlic test post-fight.

*rimshot*

Props for SOMEHOW managing throw the Wonderlic test into an insult. That's got to be a first.

EDIT: have to spread the disease first.

Last edited 11/18/10 6:57PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #46   11/18/10 6:57:09PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,895-1,080
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This just in. . . Herschel Walker has been traded to Bellator for Hector Lombard, Ben Askren, Joe Warren, and every other decent prospect that Bellator lands for the next few years!

Post #47   11/18/10 7:05:29PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

This just in. . . Herschel Walker has been traded to Bellator for Hector Lombard, Ben Askren, Joe Warren, and every other decent prospect that Bellator lands for the next few years!

Sorry, the MMAPA voided the contract and released the following statement

he contract has been rejected by the league as a circumvention of the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Under the CBA, the contract rejection triggers a number of possible next steps that may be elected by any or each of the MMAPA, the fighter and/or the organization. In the interim, the fighter is not entitled to fighter under the contract, nor is he entitled to any of the rights and benefits that are provided for thereunder. The oraganization will have no further comment on this matter pending further developments.

Post #48   11/18/10 7:12:41PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,887-1,050
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Post #49   11/18/10 7:15:43PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,500-1,283
Chips:
Herschel Walker rushed for a 1 yard touchdown against Penn State in the Sugar Bowl the exact day and hour I was being born. Now that's some PG trivia!

Post #50   11/18/10 7:30:30PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,857-1,596
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by jay98107

Oh come on, let's not compare as 47 year old former football player to a former national wrestling champion and a 26 year old

So, because Walker's old he shouldn't compete? Never mind that he's a 5th degree black belt and competed in the Winter Olympics and nearly made the summer games. Nice logic. I wasn't aware that there was an age limit.

Clearly you were too busy being biased and angry to actually read what I said. I said don't compare Walker to Cain Velasquez or Junior Dos Santos, not that he shouldn't compete. It would take at least a few years of solid training for him to even be competitive in a fight with either Cain or Junior, and by then he would be 50 years old. There isn't an age limit, but the only truly successful fighter that is as old as Walker is Couture, and he's been wrestling his entire life, not playing football or bobsledding or whatever other sport isn't MMA. Who cares if he's had success in other sports, it doesn't mean that he's going to be successful in every sport he tries just because he can bobsled and run fast from his football days. If you actually think Herschel can be competitive with the top UFC HWs, please just say it so I can mock you relentlessly.

Last edited 11/18/10 7:52PM server time by jay98107

Post #51   11/18/10 7:51:58PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Clearly you were too busy being biased and angry to actually read what I said. I said don't compare Walker to Cain Velasquez or Junior Dos Santos, not that he shouldn't compete. It would take at least a few years of solid training for him to even be competitive in a fight with either Cain or Junior, and by then he would be 50 years old. There isn't an age limit, but the only truly successful fighter that is as old as Walker is Couture, and he's been wrestling his entire life, not playing football or bobsledding or whatever other sport isn't MMA. Who cares if he's had success in other sports, it doesn't mean that he's going to be successful in every sport he tries just because he can bobsled and run fast from his football days. If you actually think Herschel can be competitive with the top UFC HWs, please just say it so I can mock you relentlessly.

I love the childish response. Clearly you have some things you need to work through if you get your jollies off of mocking people on the internet.

Please show where, in ANY of my posts, I said that he would be competitive in the UFC HW division. I'm actually pretty sure that I said he would never be top ten. For that matter, I doubt he'd be top 20.

Again to my point, I'm not biased and I'm not angry, if anything you're biased. You're completely discounting a superior athlete's ability grasp MMA.

Love this comment right here:

There isn't an age limit, but the only truly successful fighter that is as old as Walker is Couture, and he's been wrestling his entire life, not playing football or bobsledding or whatever other sport isn't MMA.

This alludes to the fact that Walker can succeed at ANY other sport but MMA. I love that you've placed MMA on a pedestal above ALL other sports. As if Walker doesn't have the brain-power, cardio, or athleticism to grasp it.

I hate to break it to you, but Walker is in INFINITELY better shape than Couture has EVER been in his entire life.

I'm not biased, I'm not angry, I just wish people like yourself would stop with this separate but equal crap.

Post #52   11/18/10 8:22:47PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,641-896
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by jay98107

There isn't an age limit, but the only truly successful fighter that is as old as Walker is Couture, and he's been wrestling his entire life, not playing football or bobsledding or whatever other sport isn't MMA.

This alludes to the fact that Walker can succeed at ANY other sport but MMA. I love that you've placed MMA on a pedestal above ALL other sports. As if Walker doesn't have the brain-power, cardio, or athleticism to grasp it.

Pretty sure he didn't allude to that.

Post #53   11/18/10 8:37:47PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by jay98107

Saying that the "only truly successful" fighter at that age is Randy Couture along with the cheeky comment of "whatever other sport that isn't MMA," to me, reads as "Walker can succeed at everything but MMA."

I'm pretty much over this debate anyhow. I've made my point and don't really see any point in continuing this argument with people. If they wish to mock me for it, fine. I can live with it.

Last edited 11/18/10 8:41PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn

Post #54   11/18/10 8:40:15PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,641-896
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by lohmann

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by jay98107

Saying that the "only truly successful" fighter at that age is Randy Couture along with the cheeky comment of "whatever other sport that isn't MMA," to me, reads as "Walker can succeed at everything but MMA."

I'm pretty much over this debate anyhow. I've made my point and don't really see any point in continuing this argument with people. If they wish to mock me for it, fine. I can live with it.

It may, but he never said that football or bobsledding were inferior sports. I think the implication was that they were different in a way that didn't lend that much of an advantage to an aspiring mixed martial artist, something I would agree with.

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Like I said, Walker probably wouldn't have gotten the shot in SF if it hadn't been for his fame as a football player, however, if, and it's a big if, he were a nobody and had decided to try his hand at MMA at this stage in his life, some promotion would have undoubtedly given him a shot because of his martial arts pedigree.

Through all your arguments, which are becoming increasingly diluted, you tangentially agreed with most of the arguments FlashyG and I have made. The issue is with Strikeforce, a promotion that houses some of the most proven talent within the sport of MMA, using a talented football player and bobsledder to draw in ratings at the expense of repute.

I have no problem with Herschel Walker wanting to fight.

(Yes, these arguments are running in circles. Probably best to stop them.)

Post #55   11/18/10 8:51:44PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,857-1,596
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by lohmann

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by jay98107

As if I actually think that a 47 year old Herschel Walker can succeed at every sport other than MMA? You don't suggest that I think he could play soccer or baseball professionally do you? If so, you grotesquely misinterpreted what I said. I'm done talking about this.

Last edited 11/18/10 10:06PM server time by jay98107

Post #56   11/18/10 10:05:52PM   

Page 4 of 4     1     2     3     4