Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Despite Fight Cancellation, Both Rivera & Sakara Paid

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Despite a last-minute cancellation of their UFC 122 co-main event, Jorge Rivera and Alessio Sakara both received pay for the fight. According to Dana White, Sakara got paid his show money, but Rivera got both his show money and what would've been his win bonus. "Do we not take care of guys?" White asked MMAjunkie.com when questioned about their pay. "Jorge actually got both (his show money and win bonus)." UFC officials aren't required to pay fighters in such situations but usually do. The fact that Sakara had hoped to fight through his illness likely won him the respect and loyalty of White and Co. It's not known how much each fighter actually got and also no word on if they'll try the fight again.

Article

Post #1   11/14/10 7:55:42PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm glad. I was hoping that this is exactly how the UFC would handle the situation.

Post #2   11/15/10 1:32:54AM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
props to the UFC. I totally forgot about that fight too lol

Post #3   11/15/10 12:05:03PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,624-911
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Dana went on and off after he announced it about how everyone saying they don't pay the fighters enough and don't take care of them, which leads me to believe that he wasn't doing this out of the kindness of his heart, but he did want it to seem that way.

Post #4   11/15/10 1:10:35PM   

Flash

Learning to Sprawl

Flash Avatar

Career:614-353
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Dana went on and off after he announced it about how everyone saying they don't pay the fighters enough and don't take care of them, which leads me to believe that he wasn't doing this out of the kindness of his heart, but he did want it to seem that way.

It's clear by your posts that you do not like Dana. You are blinded by hate and connot see that Dana is the most fan friendly president of any major sport. I know this because I have met him and have seen first hand how much he cares about the fans. We know how important loyalty is to Dana and I can't think of any other fans that are more loyal than those of MMA

Post #5   11/15/10 1:30:38PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

There have been similar situations many times in the past and both fighters were always paid at least their show bonus. I'm sure that Dana was simply taking the opportunity to defend himself, because I believe that he legitimately does take care of his fighters very well.

There's a lot of under-the-table bonuses that we never hear about, fight of the night, sub and KO of the night, paying fighters with last-minute injuries and illnesses their win bonuses, getting medical treatment and bailing fighters out of jail... They don't have to do any of these things, and while some of them may benefit the company to a certain degree, they surely benefit the fighters receiving them considerably more.

Post #6   11/15/10 1:39:24PM