Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

White disappointed with UFC 122 main event, points blame at renowned trainer

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by postman

I don't get all this Why didn't Nate throw more kicks crap......Clearly he didn't want Yushin, who is a very talented wrestler, take him down and get that smothering top game going. Seriously how about the fact he just fought a really good fighter.

this

my guess is nate didnt want to end up looking like he did against chael so he had the sprawl ready at all times, and was hoping to score enough on his counters. wasnt much of a fight or card for that matter. rogan trying to sell k-sos and reljic as a great fight was laughable IMO. siver looked great though, and the ludwig/nick o. fight was fairly entertaining until round 3.

Post #16   11/15/10 12:56:46AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Earning the title shot is the whole reason these fighters aren't performing up to standards. Dana is putting too much pressure on the contenders with promises of title shots. When they know a shot at the title is at stake, they play it safe and don't take too many risks.

As for your comment "When a camp is training top fighters a certain way and it isn't what the company is looking for, you let them know it." you can't use that in an agruement, because your not in that gym. You don't know how the fighters train. You don't know why some fighters can't finish fights. You don't know how Jackson trains his fighters. As for Marquardt, he's a bad example if your trying to say that the camp is "Point-Fighters", because the guy has six finishes in nines wins, against some of the best the sport has to offer. Don't blame these guys for not finishing fights.

I'm not sure what you do for a living but this is the way the corporate world works. Bosses generally tell you that there's a promotion in it for you if you do an outstanding job on an important project which reflects well on the company.

The main event of a card is an important event to a company. They expect people to put on a performance that will please the fans and sponsors which, by the way, pay their salaries to begin with. The promise of a title shot is the incentive for them to go out there and put on that great performance.

It's their promotion if you will. This has always been the model of the business world. They refer to this as "performance based management."

Dana was less than pleased with their performance, however, instead of reneging on his promise, which would reflect poorly on him and the UFC, he's left with no alternative other than to call them out and demand better from them. I can't understand why anyone thinks this is disrespectful.

Dana's made it pretty f*cking clear from day one that his motto is "so you wanna f*cking fight!?"

not, "so, you wanna f*cking play it safe and win"

Last edited 11/15/10 1:11AM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   11/15/10 1:10:50AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,600-1,654
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I agree, but think he should have directed the "So you want to play it safe" comments on Yushin and his camp.....he's notorious for it. Both are very top guys, no reason to lay all of the "blame" on Nate for the fight.

Post #18   11/15/10 3:45:59AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,486-872
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

this fight went as expected...i wasn't sure who'd win but I didn't expect anyone to get finished. Both very skilled. I don't know what dana expected....this was exactly the type of fight anyone should expect if you match these two guys up. I didn't find it boring. It didn't seem like a sparring session to me. the mir/cro cop fight did seem like a sparring match to me....even the finish almost seemed like an accident. Nate and Okami fought well. Nate should have kicked more but was probably trying to avoid being taken down.

I feel the same. When this particular fight was announced the first thing I initialy thought was it's going to a decision. I attribute Marquarts timid performance more on the old adage that "styles make fights", and these two styles make for a slow,yet well placed fight.

Post #19   11/15/10 6:34:02AM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I didnt go ino that fiht thinking it was going to be a barnburner. I agree that the pressure of "garunteed title shot" Had a lot to do with it.

Post #20   11/15/10 5:14:04PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2