Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

White disappointed with UFC 122 main event, points blame at renowned trainer

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link White had some particularly harsh words for headliner Nate Marquardt (30-10-2 MMA, 9-4 UFC), who saw a second shot at the title slip through his hands with a unanimous decision loss to Yushin Okami (26-5 MMA, 10-2 UFC).

Post #1   11/14/10 3:26:37AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,225-1,198
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Pretty harsh words from Dana but I completely agree. Nate was timid for the majority of the fight while Okami was the one pushing forward. I thought if Nate pushed the pace in the 3rd instead of back pedeling, he might have pulled out the decision.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #2   11/14/10 10:58:24AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I didn't expect Nate to fight so cautious....he looked a little gun shy.

War Okami

Post #3   11/14/10 11:05:16AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
Nate let Okami take the fight to him. The only time he really looked to be the aggressor was when he scored the takedown, and once he got Okami down he did absolutely nothing. Okami didn't exactly light the world on fire either, but he was pressing forward the whole fight, and he definitely was a lot more active with his striking.

Post #4   11/14/10 11:09:08AM   

FrankTheTank1181

Standup Guy

FrankTheTank1181 Avatar

Career:1,487-880
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I think the lack of action in the fight had a lot to do with the "guaranteed title shot". Both guys seemed like they were trying not to lose as opposed to going for the win.

Post #5   11/14/10 11:09:08AM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:1,988-1,230
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Very weak and dissapointing effort from Nate.
How many kicks did he actually throw for the 3 rounds? 3? For someone who has good kicks, he sure didnt use them. Very dissapointing fight and card in my opinion.

Post #6   11/14/10 11:43:38AM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:
Thats just disrespectful by dana...
These guys fought a safe fight but UFC has been stringing these guys along as top contenders for a long time. i dont think nate choked i think he was out pointed by another top contender who is not a finisher but a point fighter that is notoriously hard to finish. Why would dana make it seem like nate was susposed to run thru okami when there both contenders, if he wasnt suposed to, like dana thought he handed him a gimme and he blew it? are these guys the best in the world or are they giving them "padded" fights to move up fighters they think deserve it. and then getting upset when it doesnt go as planned I think nate would have finished it if he was able

Last edited 11/14/10 12:04PM server time by submissionartist1
Edit note/reason: kicks lead to takedowns

Post #7   11/14/10 12:03:43PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I commented after the fight that it was basically like watching a sparring session as a main event. It was pretty terrible and I agree that it makes no sense going into the third round knowing you've lost at LEAST one round and not going in guns blazing.

I get the "fight safe and don't get hurt" principle, but it only works as long as you're WINNING the fight. If you're losing you need to take SOME amount of risk to try to score some points or just end the fight. It was a pretty awful main event, and I kind of expected it to be.

Post #8   11/14/10 12:21:21PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:
I understand that Dana is the president, but he needs to walk where he steps. He's been pissing off a lot of fighters and trainers lately. As for the fight, can you blame any of them? Most of this years main events have been thrash, and Dana goes on to blame the fighters. It's all the stress thats being put on these fighters.

Post #9   11/14/10 12:33:27PM   

JimiMak

WarWagon Never Die!

JimiMak Avatar

Career:454-333
Camp: JT WarWagon
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Most of this years main events have been thrash, and Dana goes on to blame the fighters.

Well... OF COURSE. When your employees are underperforming you let them know it. When a camp is training top fighters a certain way and it isn't what the company is looking for, you let them know it. If two guys don't make any attempt to earn the title shot, you let them know it. He is the one responsible for putting out a product so he's gonna let the performers know what he does and does not expect out of them.

Post #10   11/14/10 12:47:37PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
this fight had the energy of a light sparring session, didnt feel like a No. #1 Contender match as neither guy really went at it, Okami moved foward and jabbed while Marquardt backed up. neither guy fought well but Okami was the one who was trying to push the pace a little while Marquardt did the greg jackson thing.

Post #11   11/14/10 1:03:51PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I had very low low expectations for the fight card
They were met
But I thought nate was gonna be a lil more agressive

Like dana said. He is a choker!!!

Post #12   11/14/10 3:49:53PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,665-930
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by FastKnockout

Most of this years main events have been thrash, and Dana goes on to blame the fighters.

Well... OF COURSE. When your employees are underperforming you let them know it. When a camp is training top fighters a certain way and it isn't what the company is looking for, you let them know it. If two guys don't make any attempt to earn the title shot, you let them know it. He is the one responsible for putting out a product so he's gonna let the performers know what he does and does not expect out of them.

Earning the title shot is the whole reason these fighters aren't performing up to standards. Dana is putting too much pressure on the contenders with promises of title shots. When they know a shot at the title is at stake, they play it safe and don't take too many risks.

As for your comment "When a camp is training top fighters a certain way and it isn't what the company is looking for, you let them know it." you can't use that in an agruement, because your not in that gym. You don't know how the fighters train. You don't know why some fighters can't finish fights. You don't know how Jackson trains his fighters. As for Marquardt, he's a bad example if your trying to say that the camp is "Point-Fighters", because the guy has six finishes in nines wins, against some of the best the sport has to offer. Don't blame these guys for not finishing fights.

Post #13   11/14/10 4:23:24PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I don't get all this Why didn't Nate throw more kicks crap......Clearly he didn't want Yushin, who is a very talented wrestler, take him down and get that smothering top game going. Seriously how about the fact he just fought a really good fighter.

Post #14   11/14/10 5:27:30PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
this fight went as expected...i wasn't sure who'd win but I didn't expect anyone to get finished. Both very skilled. I don't know what dana expected....this was exactly the type of fight anyone should expect if you match these two guys up. I didn't find it boring. It didn't seem like a sparring session to me. the mir/cro cop fight did seem like a sparring match to me....even the finish almost seemed like an accident. Nate and Okami fought well. Nate should have kicked more but was probably trying to avoid being taken down.

Post #15   11/14/10 6:42:56PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2