Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sports Journalism as of Late(Especially in the Newton Case)

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
The lack of integrity in journalism as of late, especially regarding the Cam Newton case, has absolutely made me question the field I got my degree in. You guys probably already know, and I'll say this so BlueSkies doesn't jump all over me, but I'm a big Auburn fan. With that said, I also have a degree in Mass Communication, and I take big issue with journalists passing off rumor as fact, and citing "unnamed sources" as the only sources in their stories.(E.G. Joe Schad)

I'd be devastated if the stuff came out and was true about Cam Newton, but at this point, my problem is with the integrity of the media, who seems to be passing off speculation as fact. I've seen the words "charges" used when there have indeed been no charges outside of the laptop incident two years ago, only allegations. Yet to see sources named, and when John Bond was listed, he quickly got on 680 the Fan here in Atlanta and said he never had direct contact with Kenny Rogers.

It seems like everyone is just jumping on this story as a ratings boost, and all it's doing is adding to what, at this moment, seems to be a smear campaign that has done nothing but assassinate a kid's character.

This is far from the only incident that has had this type of media reaction. It's just sad to me how mudslinging can be passed as journalism. If you need a ratings boost, how about stop showing Poker and start showing MMA, Soccer, etc. Maybe stop letting your journalists pass their blog-quality rants off as a newspaper/online article for your publication.

Where was the smear campaign against LaMichael James? You know, the guy who is second in the Heisman race in many people's eyes? The guy who is unstoppable out of the backfield. The guy who was charged and plead guilty of domestic violence earlier this year. Oh wait, you probably didn't hear about that did you?

This was a rant on my part, but I'm not passing myself off as a journalist for a sports publication. You may disagree with what I have to say, and pass me off as a homer all you like, but I'm just sick of this being passed off as "journalism."

Post #1   11/11/10 9:07:04AM   

Thefridge1337

MMA Regular

Thefridge1337 Avatar

Career:763-498
Chips:
I think a lot of people believe he did take money just because of all the stories. There is no hard evidence that has come out yet so Cam is still in the clear, but his reputation is horribly damaged.

Post #2   11/11/10 12:16:23PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Thefridge1337

I think a lot of people believe he did take money just because of all the stories. There is no hard evidence that has come out yet so Cam is still in the clear, but his reputation is horribly damaged.

Exactly my point. People are jumping to conclusions based on unnamed sources, and are completely sullying his reputation. He fought hard to get that reputation back after the laptop incident.

For people who think he's making a ton of money, he drives a scooter around school...ballin right? He goes and mentors young children, what a scum bag, eh? He's quoted as saying his passion is with mentoring young children, and if he wasn't in football he'd be doing this. I don't even know why Auburn went through the trouble of recruiting him. He was trouble from the start right?

Oh, but he cheated at Florida, and was about to get expelled. First how did confidential school records get leaked to the media, and second, how did he successfully transfer to not one, but TWO different schools if he was in such academic jeopardy?

Oh but Joe Schad said there were two quotes from some unnamed sources from Mississippi State that implicate him. Wait, they're only one line quotes, with absolutely no context to even draw from, if legitimate?

Just makes me sick man....makes me absolutely sick how these guys can try to make money off sullying a young man's reputation like that.

Post #3   11/11/10 12:54:18PM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

It seems like everyone is just jumping on this story as a ratings boost, and all it's doing is adding to what, at this moment, seems to be a smear campaign that has done nothing but assassinate a kid's character.

No, they are jumping on it because it involves things the NCAA has outlawed-players having contact with agents while still in school and taking money or gifts from agents.

Last edited 11/11/10 1:16PM server time by DCRage
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   11/11/10 1:16:47PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by DCRage

No, they are jumping on it because it involves things the NCAA has outlawed-players having contact with agents while still in school and taking money or gifts from agents.

And when that talk of him having contact with an agent was rubbished by the very man who reported it, they should have stopped attacking him. John Bond came out, as I said in the OP, the day after the report of the Kenny Rogers allegations and said he never had direct contact with Rogers(the agent in question).

So for them to keep running with this is poor journalism. Maybe there is something to it, but from the evidence, or lack thereof that they have, they should stop the reports.

Last edited 11/11/10 1:38PM server time by gartface
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   11/11/10 1:35:27PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
This is kinda off the path but I heard someone today call a radio show and began saying that Nike is who is behind this whole story and its because Auburn is a sponsered by Underarmor and the threat of them winning not only a national title but also a heisman is the motive. I don't know that I agree but it makes for intresting talk for sure.

Post #6   11/11/10 6:52:13PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
In the world of blogo-journalism, it seems like the standards and practices that once made journalism a role of integrity has begun a steady decline into mediocrity. Sports journalism is merely a part of it.

Post #7   11/12/10 11:33:06PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I can't believe I didn't notice this thread a long time ago. Eh, I'm with you on this one Gartface. But, I'm less than sympathetic because USC just went through this some time ago. But USC was guilty you say? Not quite the whole story.

The information surrounding the Bush allegations came from a convicted felon that the university was never allowed to cross examine. The gentleman in question gave his testimony and it was considered to be the truth.

Here's an excerpt from an article written by attorney Jay Bilas on the matter.

The agent in question was an acquaintance of Bush from San Diego, from well before Bush had ever decided to attend USC. The agent is a convicted felon and former gang member that has served prison time and has never held a legitimate job. Upon his release from prison, the agent decided to start an agency and targeted Bush as a potential client.

NCAA Bylaw 32.8.8.2 requires the Committee on Infractions to find a violation of the rules only where the evidence consists of "credible, persuasive" information "of a kind on which reasonably prudent persons rely in the conduct of serious affairs." In other words, the NCAA apparently believes that this vague standard of proof gives it free reign to believe whomever or whatever it wants. In the Bush matter, it was a convicted felon with no credibility.

According to USC, the allegations made by the NCAA are weak and, on some issues, can be disproved. After reading the notice and response, it is hard to argue that point. As previously stated, the school has admitted that some penalties levied by the NCAA -- and USC itself -- are justified. But other than the agent's uncorroborated account, the only link between the "agent" and the football program are four cell-phone calls between the agent and a USC assistant coach (the longest call lasting two and a half minutes) and a single photograph in which the agent appeared to be in the background. That's it.

According to USC, credible witnesses discredited the agent's account, and there was no other evidence to establish a direct institutional link between the agent and USC. Clearly, the unsworn word of a convicted felon has significant credibility problems from the beginning, and it is hard to understand how -- even with the NCAA's vague standard -- it could ever be relied upon by a reasonably prudent person in the conduct of serious affairs (whatever that means). When the NCAA interviewed the agent, representatives of USC were denied the right to be present, despite USC's repeated requests to be there. The only evidence of the interview is what NCAA reps chose to record. Representatives of USC were not allowed to cross-examine the witness, assess indicators of credibility, or otherwise challenge the statements procured by the NCAA.

In the several months before the NCAA allowed USC access to a transcript of the interview with the agent, the agent had done media interviews and had collaborated on a book. The idea that the word of a convicted felon, not subject to cross-examination and without corroboration, could convict USC offends any notion of fair play.

So, that's the standard by which they hammered USC. The problem has less to do with journalists reporting the story and more to do with the shotty investigating job the NCAA does in regards to these matters. If journalists weren't breaking these stories nothing would get done. I'm saying this and I'm the "victim" of an NCAA investigation.

If Cam Newton is vindicated will these reporters issue apologies to him for dragging his name through the mud? Most likely not. Should they? Absolutely. It seems right now that all they are reporting on is "he said, she said" BS and there's no hard factual evidence.

As an Auburn fan, gartface, you should take solace in the fact that it took them five f*cking years before they ruled on USC and, by then, nobody really gave a damn anyhow. Did they strip USC of that title? Sure. Do USC fans care? Absolutely not. We were the best team on the field those years and whether or not they want to "strip the wins" the games were still played and we STILL hammered Oklahoma. Can't undo that.

Post #8   11/13/10 12:37:42AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:

Posted by postman

This is kinda off the path but I heard someone today call a radio show and began saying that Nike is who is behind this whole story and its because Auburn is a sponsered by Underarmor and the threat of them winning not only a national title but also a heisman is the motive. I don't know that I agree but it makes for intresting talk for sure.

And I'm also hearing allegations/rumors that the school he spurned for Auburn-one of the MIssissippis-is supposedly behind this so-called smear campaign as a way to try and screw him out of the Heisman, which supposedly he's a lock for. I disagree-what about guys like Denard Robinson?

Post #9   11/13/10 12:55:03PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:
Have you watched college football the past six weeks or so? Denard Robinson isn't even a top 5 candidate any more. I have it Newton, James, Moore, Luck, and Blackmon.

Denard Robinson has battled injuries and inconsistencies the past six or so weeks.

Post #10   11/13/10 5:28:30PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Have you watched college football the past six weeks or so? Denard Robinson isn't even a top 5 candidate any more. I have it Newton, James, Moore, Luck, and Blackmon.

Denard Robinson has battled injuries and inconsistencies the past six or so weeks.

I don't understand why Newton is "the lock" LaMichael James is the best back in the nation on the number 1 team in the nation. It's SEC bias. By that, I mean that nobody is even considering James as a possibility to win the trophy.

Post #11   11/13/10 5:30:25PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by gartface

I don't understand why Newton is "the lock" LaMichael James is the best back in the nation on the number 1 team in the nation. It's SEC bias. By that, I mean that nobody is even considering James as a possibility to win the trophy.

He and Moore are creeping up because of the allegations. LaMichael James is awesome, I just don't understand how his checkered past doesn't get brought up like Newton's has the past two weeks. Any guess?

Post #12   11/13/10 5:38:23PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by gartface

He and Moore are creeping up because of the allegations. LaMichael James is awesome, I just don't understand how his checkered past doesn't get brought up like Newton's has the past two weeks. Any guess?

My guess is that it happened sooner rather than later. You know as a sports fan that it's a "what have you done for me lately" line of thinking when it comes to writers.

James has kept his nose clean and produced. This is coming up NOW for Newton.

My other guess is that what is being alleged against Newton deals with cheating and eligibility. James' offense was purely criminal. If the allegations turn out to be true, Newton is ineligible and Auburn will have to forfeit every game he's played in. James was dealt with in a criminal court of law.

Those are my guesses.

Post #13   11/13/10 6:36:08PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

My guess is that it happened sooner rather than later. You know as a sports fan that it's a "what have you done for me lately" line of thinking when it comes to writers.

James has kept his nose clean and produced. This is coming up NOW for Newton.

My other guess is that what is being alleged against Newton deals with cheating and eligibility. James' offense was purely criminal. If the allegations turn out to be true, Newton is ineligible and Auburn will have to forfeit every game he's played in. James was dealt with in a criminal court of law.

Those are my guesses.

First off, can you say, after watching that game, that Cam is only the favorite because of SEC bias?

Secondly, the point I guess I'm trying to make is the sports writers who have come out over the past few weeks and brought out the "integrity" clause in the Heisman voting. Wouldn't you think that a convicted criminal would have less integrity than a college athlete who has been proven of nothing of the sort, at least in the past two years? Purchasing a stolen laptop, I think we can agree, is a little better than choking your girlfriend. Or wait, he just pushed her in the throat right?...

The cheating claims, think about it. How could he successfully transfer to two separate schools in a two year span if he was in academic dire straights? That's what I don't get about the whole thing, and whoever released confidential academic records could face serious charges. That's why I think the FBI is involved, in some regard to this case.

That's my take. I think guilty domestic abuse charges are far more damaging to someone's integrity than allegations of things that happened two years ago, and most of all haven't been proven true. If what Cam's father said is true, than it appears he is in the clear. If writers don't want to vote for him on the integrity clause, they definitely shouldn't be voting for James.

And I know you're saying LaMichael is a better running back than Cam is a quarterback, and I can respect your opinion. I know that's why you'd vote James over him, not because of the allegations. And you have to believe I have 0 SEC bias in my opinion of Cam getting the trophy, or the country for that matter, because he's a phenomenal player.

Post #14   11/13/10 7:43:20PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

First off, can you say, after watching that game, that Cam is only the favorite because of SEC bias?

Secondly, the point I guess I'm trying to make is the sports writers who have come out over the past few weeks and brought out the "integrity" clause in the Heisman voting. Wouldn't you think that a convicted criminal would have less integrity than a college athlete who has been proven of nothing of the sort, at least in the past two years? Purchasing a stolen laptop, I think we can agree, is a little better than choking your girlfriend. Or wait, he just pushed her in the throat right?...

The cheating claims, think about it. How could he successfully transfer to two separate schools in a two year span if he was in academic dire straights? That's what I don't get about the whole thing, and whoever released confidential academic records could face serious charges. That's why I think the FBI is involved, in some regard to this case.

That's my take. I think guilty domestic abuse charges are far more damaging to someone's integrity than allegations of things that happened two years ago, and most of all haven't been proven true. If what Cam's father said is true, than it appears he is in the clear. If writers don't want to vote for him on the integrity clause, they definitely shouldn't be voting for James.

And I know you're saying LaMichael is a better running back than Cam is a quarterback, and I can respect your opinion. I know that's why you'd vote James over him, not because of the allegations. And you have to believe I have 0 SEC bias in my opinion of Cam getting the trophy, or the country for that matter, because he's a phenomenal player.

I don't think that a hammering of a 5-5 team is all that great no matter who did it and how much they ran up. I'm not arguing that James SHOULD get the Heisman, either. I was merely knocking the fact that people are calling Newton an automatic lock despite the fact that James and Moore are having STELLAR seasons.

Kellen Moore leads the nation in pass efficiency and has been the best QB in the nation two years in a row. His long term track record of being a stand-up individual both on and off the field coupled with his amazing play should get him more consideration than anyone has ever given him in his career.

Again, I'm not making a case for anyone TO win it. I'm merely saying that I find it disrespectful that people like James and Moore are considered second class citizens BECAUSE Newton is doing it in the SEC. Sure those two will get votes, but if I were James and Moore I wouldn't even fly to New York, because I knew that I wasn't SERIOUSLY being considered.

If anything, based on what you're saying, I'd give the trophy to Moore simply because he's been accused/involved in NOTHING. All while, again, being the best quarterback in the nation two years in a row. I just don't think that because he's a "dual threat" quarterback that a player should automatically win the trophy.

As for your comments about Cecil Newton saying something, what were you referring to? Was it that Cecil said HE was the one who sought payment and Newton knew nothing about it? Because no, that does NOT clear Newton. Actually, that seals Newton's fate. NCAA eligibility rules state that any person/player acting on behalf of an individual seeking payment for play is a violation of their amateur status.

Cecil should have kept his mouth shut. If it turns out that this is true, and Cecil did seek payment, Newton is STILL ineligible. I would consider Newton's dad as a person acting on BEHALF of his own son. The NCAA will as well. Especially since Newton doesn't come from a broken home where one estranged parent is money-grubbing.

If that's not what you're talking about then you'll have to explain, because I've sort of stopped following the story until something more concrete develops.

To summarize, I'm not knocking Newton's ability to play, or the fact that he's an outstanding player. I'm just confused as to why he's a clear-cut favorite when Kellen Moore and James have been playing at a high level. As a matter of fact, Kellen Moore has been playing at a high level for longer. It just confuses me that someone who's as accurate and proficient as Moore just gets completely overlooked as almost an "honorable mention" in the Heisman race. The award is supposed to be for the most outstanding player in college football. Not the best player in a power conference. To me, the Heisman is a joke anyhow.

Post #15   11/13/10 8:52:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2