Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

having a good chin

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

rface1988

Learning to Sprawl

rface1988 Avatar

Career:591-383
Chips:
What do you think helps with taking punches....Neck Strength?? is it just genetics?? Ive been dropped b4 but I usually recover fast...... Im feeling kinda self conscious about my ability to take a punch right now lol

Post #1   11/9/10 5:29:53PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:519-361
Chips:
its a combination of things IMO. it seems to me that history has shown that people with large heads seem to take punches better i.e. cabbage, big nog, roy nelson, chris leban etc. so i guess some is genetics. but you got to also take into consideration the angle of the punch and whether you protect areas that are vulnerable. i can take some big punches to the face and some of the harder areas of the head like forehead but other places are not a good spot to get hit, obviously the jaw. head movement has to do with it too. if you get hit while stationary theres gonna be a different effect than if you moving your head away from the punch or into it. i dont know to much about neck strength but im sure it cant hurt to have a strong neck.

Post #2   11/9/10 6:31:18PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
You have to have your chin in a good position at all times. Maybe there is some genetics involved (and I'm sure there is), maybe there is some neck strength involved, but the number one thing you can do to protect your chin is to keep it in a good position at all times. All the genetics, cardio and neck strength in the world are only going to help you take so many punches. Even then you'll lose a decision on the cards. Sound fundamentals and proper technique are the right way to go about earning yourself a reputation for having a good chin.

Plus, and I'll always go back to this as I have many times on this forum, something you'll develop from getting punched a lot is the ability to learn HOW to get hit. All with time and practice.

Last edited 11/9/10 7:09PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #3   11/9/10 7:08:54PM   

FastKnockout

TRICK 'R TREAT

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,856-1,025
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
When the discussion of chin strength comes along, I usually see a lot of the "bigger head means taking a better punch" but I don't think it's the actual size of the head. I think it's the size of the jaw/chin. Bigger head means bigger jaw/chin which can probably take a better punch.

Post #4   11/10/10 3:32:42PM   

rface1988

Learning to Sprawl

rface1988 Avatar

Career:591-383
Chips:
So basically it has more to do with Skill..... Slipping punches, keeping your head and chin down, and rolling with punches... as well as some neck strength and confidence?

Post #5   11/10/10 4:46:03PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
Neck strength is important. It can help keep your head from snapping around too much.

Post #6   11/10/10 5:51:38PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by rface1988

So basically it has more to do with Skill..... Slipping punches, keeping your head and chin down, and rolling with punches... as well as some neck strength and confidence?

Well I'm not going to say it's 100% all skill, but as far as things you can do to develop a good chin that is the number one thing that needs to be worked on. Something like neck strength is only going to help you so much because it's not like when you're struck you have time to tighten up your neck and resist the force. There is no possible way your reflexes could work that quickly. In essence what I'm saying is that your brain is rattling around inside your skull long before you even realize it. Henceforth, the best thing you can do is have yourself in a good position before it happens. It's like getting hit by a bomb- there's only so much you can do to defend yourself after it happens- better to be prepared for it to happen and have your defenses in place beforehand.

There's a saying, and please don't take offense when you hear this, but it's- "Shut up and train." A lot of the systems of training that are in place are in place for a reason. Someone with a lot more experience than you or I built them, and chances are they had some success in their careers for a reason. So it's better to trust in their experience (and the years of experience before them) than to question everything and try to solve it all on your own. Although there WILL come a time you have the experience necessary to make your own changes.

Post #7   11/10/10 10:49:36PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,468-851
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I have taken some heavy flurries over the years without ever getting knocked out , and I believe that it has more to do with awareness of the inflicting blow and absorbing throughout your whole body and not just a big head, or strong neck. So if it's a physical trait, I would say your core is as important as your neck.

Post #8   11/11/10 11:42:35AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
A thick(unpointy) chin and a wide, square jawline are fantastic for taking a shot.
Look at Rampage for Instance.

Post #9   11/16/10 3:48:36AM   

xenophon

Learning to Sprawl

xenophon Avatar

Career:2,785-1,551
Chips:
I recall reading a thread and article about this so I will link them both.

Knockout: Avoid It

Biophysics of Taking a Punch

Post #10   12/11/10 12:24:22PM   

Gr1p63

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I read somewhere that strong neck muscles are needed to take a punch but you really dont want to keep taking punches and getting the lights out of you because it could lead to brain damage, see how many fighters get parkinson's because of getting hit too much. So point is strong neck muscles for the unavoidable and avoid getting punched as much as possible.

Post #11   1/27/11 2:00:40PM   

Legattacks

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I would try to focus more on how not to get hit!!!

Post #12   4/2/13 8:44:46PM   

aussiemma

Soup is not a meal

aussiemma Avatar

Career:713-394
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think it's really positioning and angle of the punch when it lands and also the power of the shot.

Post #13   10/2/13 9:21:29AM   

NikkiNeversleep

MMA Regular

NikkiNeversleep Avatar

Career:134-107
Chips:
According to Fight Science and a handful of boxing writers, a KO can be caused by your head turning sharply to a certain angle in a certain amount of time, I dont remember the specifics though. But with that in mind, one would assume headmovement and neck strength would prevent that kind of KO from occuring. What I know about boxing defense is pretty simple, keep your chin low and always be moving your head side to side never stay stationary. I'd imagine it applies to MMA as well.

Post #14   10/2/13 8:56:18PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,164-1,334
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Have a head like Fujita and you should be ok!

Post #15   10/12/13 12:08:12PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2