Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

What's The Bottom Line On Brock Lesnar? He's Coming Back Stronger Than Ever 'Cause Stone Cold Says So

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And not just because Austin 3:16 says Cain Velasquez whooped his @$$. But fellow former wrestler Steve Austin does believe Brock will be back and better because of the loss. "It was... man, Brock, I know him from my WWE days. Of course I was cheering for Brock. I think Cain had a great game plan and Cain’s a great fighter. You know, he took it to Brock. But I think the kind of gifted athlete that Brock is and the kind of mindset that he has, I think he’s going to go back home, I think he’s going to work on his striking game, I think he’s going to get used to being hit, and I think he’s going to come back and be stronger than ever. Now he’s got some proving to do. I’ll always bet on Brock Lesnar, he’s a great Pay Per View attraction, and he’s good for the sport. He’ll be back, and he’ll be a lot better of a fighter from this loss."

Article

Post #1   11/8/10 6:10:58PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
He has to be able to take being punched in the face better than he did. I mean that's two fights in a row where if the fight had been on a football field he just would have run 100 yards away as fast as he could. He can fight coming forward but he can't fight moving back. Problem. Every fighter he fights now on out will punch between the wide shots and make him move back.

Post #2   11/8/10 11:38:25PM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:2,006-1,108
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I don't understand where all these pro-wrestlers are coming from. The last time I seen one comment on Lesnar was before the first Frank Mir fight. Why are they all suddenly so interested in him? This mixed with that video of the Undertaker challenge has me wondering if he's going to appear in the wrestling world once more.

Post #3   11/8/10 11:41:53PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

He has to be able to take being punched in the face better than he did. I mean that's two fights in a row where if the fight had been on a football field he just would have run 100 yards away as fast as he could. He can fight coming forward but he can't fight moving back. Problem. Every fighter he fights now on out will punch between the wide shots and make him move back.

I think it was the knee, Cain never gave him a chance to recover after the knee.

he does need to work on his defense. not just blocking punches but he needs to learn to use his guard and tie up his opponents when he gets in those positions. his striking looked improved but not as sharp as cains.

Post #4   11/8/10 11:49:54PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,070-1,282
Chips:
in Brocks defense, somewhat, hes still relatively new to the sport and not used to gettin hit that hard and/or losing... not that I know at all, but I'd bet his training and other things have him beating up the other guys more than he is getting beat up.

He needs to learn how to get beat up and not lose

Post #5   11/9/10 11:12:48AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by tallica62

Isn't this sort of the goal for EVERY fighter?

Post #6   11/9/10 4:07:30PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by tallica62

Isn't this sort of the goal for EVERY fighter?

I think he's got a very solid point that he's trying to make. Of course the goal for every fighter is to not lose, but there are many ways to go about training for that. To me, and apparently to tallica62, it's very clear that Lesnar is the gym bully at his gym and therefore has not been put into situations where he doesn't have an out. It's very clear when Brock starts losing he doesn't know what to do IMO. For lack of a better word he's not used to being "the victim" and I think that has been plainly obvious. (as has been stated 3 times for redundancy's sake in this one paragraph... lol)

What I want to know is why all of the sudden the things these WWE dudes say has any kind of weight when it comes to MMA. I mean literally this is like a baseball analyst commenting on the NFL or something. Who gives an F about what they have to say? They know baseball, not football.

Last edited 11/9/10 7:20PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   11/9/10 7:20:21PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I think he's got a very solid point that he's trying to make. Of course the goal for every fighter is to not lose, but there are many ways to go about training for that. To me, and apparently to tallica62, it's very clear that Lesnar is the gym bully at his gym and therefore has not been put into situations where he doesn't have an out. It's very clear when Brock starts losing he doesn't know what to do IMO. For lack of a better word he's not used to being "the victim" and I think that has been plainly obvious. (as has been stated 3 times for redundancy's sake in this one paragraph... lol)

What I want to know is why all of the sudden the things these WWE dudes say has any kind of weight when it comes to MMA. I mean literally this is like a baseball analyst commenting on the NFL or something. Who gives an F about what they have to say? They know baseball, not football.

Okay, I see what you're saying with Tallica's comment.

I think you're a bit off Jackelope on the second paragraph, though. You can analyze anything you want. I mean look us. We break-down MMA fights/fighters all the time. Hell, it's the purpose of this website. Some of us have more knowledge/experience/training than others, but it doesn't mean that these former/current WWE wrestlers don't train/watch MMA. They can still offer perspective and analysis on the matter. Joe Rogan is, by trade a comedian, but he's been watching and training in enough MMA that his opinion is considered good enough to be offered the color commentary job in UFC.

I would trust Ed O'Neil's break-down of a grappling match between two BJJ experts. Just because he's the dad on Modern Family doesn't mean he's not a black-belt.

Post #8   11/9/10 8:03:17PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Actually, it's good if Brock does well in MMA. Then wrestlers say, we are the bad asses...we just 'choose' to entertain.

In terms of Brock's striking, yes in fairness to him it takes a long time to get good at it and even when you are good at it, you have a tendency to fight a certain way and a skill set. It's obvious that Brock is not going to be a counter puncher like say, Silva. He has a straight forward style and he is very aggressive. He throws fairly wide shots aimed all at the head but I also think he has a semi decent jab that he ought to learn how to use even better. The problem is, when he moves back or when he is forced to move away, he has almost zero offense and his defense is limited to....well...moving back. His chin is up, he doesn't roll those massive shoulders at all, and he doesn't move his head. It just sits there like a target. At this point his best D is his Offense. When that fails...it's bedtime for bonzo.

This is why Coture wishes he was 10 years younger.

Post #9   11/10/10 2:05:49AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I think the points bas was making about brock are almost prophetic in a sense.
The guy has loads of potential but needs to work on his overall fundementals.

Post #10   11/10/10 2:57:59PM