Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Aldo Camp Would Have Let Aldo Fight Frank Edgar Or Maybe Sean Sherk-But Not Kenny Florian

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And it wasn't because Aldo said no, but because manager Andre Pederneiras did, and he tells the TATAME it was because Florian's never been a world champion and-get this-isn't on their Top 10 P4P list. "A counter-offer was made with a fight between Aldo and Kenny Florian. They offered us this and I was the first to decline it. Aldo fighting [Frankie Edgar], the fourth in the world, is one thing. It’s the champion of the event fighting a champion of the same organization, but on the weight division above. It’s the same thing that Ultimate confronts champions of two different divisions of the event ... When they said it’d be Kenny Florian, it’s not that he’s not a tough guy, I think he’s an excellent athlete, but he’s coming from a bad result and, unfortunately for him, he was never Ultimate’s champion, and now he’s not even on the top 10 pound by pound, so I couldn’t see why this fight should happen. Who turned the proposal down was me, and nobody else. Aldo wanted to fight, but who turned it down was me because I understand this fight wouldn’t bring any benefit to him, independently that Kenny Florian is a great fighter or not ... If they have offered Sean Sherk, on a similar situation, maybe I’d have accepted, it was more likely. He was a guy coming from a win and he once was the champion of the event, so we declined the offer because of that. It wasn’t because we were afraid of the other guy, it was because I thought I wasn’t worth it."

Article

Post #1   11/5/10 3:05:50PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
And that's why fighters have managers. Maybe Pederneiras is a bit off using Sherk as an example of a proper fight offer but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He clearly doesn't understand how MMA fans view Sherk in comparison to a guy like Florian. But his reasons for declining the fight are just.

Fact is, Kenny is coming off of a loss and a pretty one-sided one at that. For Aldo to take all the risk of moving up a weight class AND making his UFC debut all at the same time there should probably be more on the line than a fight with an extremely tough opponent and little upside. I'm sure that if Dunham would have taken the decision he deserved against Sherk, Pederneiras would have used Dunham's name as an example for a reasonable opponent instead. At least a victory over Dunham (or Sherk as it stands) would have been a step toward a title since Aldo would have beaten some climbing the 155 latter.

I think Andre Pederneiras made the right call here. I think he took an even bigger leap forward to get out in front of this and take the heat for this decision instead of allowing Dana to continue to go around saying that Aldo himself turned down the fight. I saw one interview where Dana was very subtly questioning Aldo's manhood when he made mention of Junior turning down the Florian fight. That kind of press serves no good for anyone.

Post #2   11/5/10 3:21:58PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
I agree with his statements regarding Florian and he does make sense but almost everybody knows that Sherk lost that fight with Dunham so he shouldnt be in the equation either.

Post #3   11/5/10 3:57:20PM   

BigIP

Standup Guy

BigIP Avatar

Career:43-35
Chips:
I think his manager is concerned with Florian's reach advantage. Sherk has t-rex arms and Edgar would be at a disadvantage as well. But Florian has 4 inches on Aldo and I think that is what concerns his manager.

Post #4   11/5/10 4:08:13PM   

GhostofaWarrior

Learning to Sprawl

GhostofaWarrior Avatar

Career:147-89
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
Im suprised Aldo feels that he can put down Kenny Florian. Aldo has yet to prove himself to any top lightweight, why does he feel he is entitled to Frank Edgar. And Sherk would be on aldo like flies on ****

Post #5   11/5/10 4:37:18PM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:1,973-1,220
Camp: Playground Bullies
Chips:
florian>sherk

Post #6   11/5/10 5:40:45PM   

submissionartist1

KING of the COMPOUND

submissionartist1 Avatar

Career:490-392
Camp: HighKicksRUs
Chips:

boo team aldo

Post #7   11/5/10 9:33:09PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i dont know. i think aldo should stay in his own division.

Post #8   11/5/10 9:54:59PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,782-1,559
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
As a champ from another division/another organization, Aldo should be taking the same route as Shields. Fight somebody who will earn you a title shot, and if Florian won't earn him a title shot upon victory, then there's no incentive for Aldo to leave the division. I don't think beating Florian would earn Aldo a title shot, so why move up?

Post #9   11/5/10 11:57:27PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Pretty much sums up the entire argument right there.

Post #10   11/6/10 12:20:06AM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

As a champ from another division/another organization, Aldo should be taking the same route as Shields. Fight somebody who will earn you a title shot, and if Florian won't earn him a title shot upon victory, then there's no incentive for Aldo to leave the division. I don't think beating Florian would earn Aldo a title shot, so why move up?

I agree with the fact that beating Florian would not have gotten Aldo a title shot. However, the same route that Shields got wasn't remotely close to what Aldo was offered. Shields beating Kampmann would be the equivalent of Aldo beating Florian. Even with Florian coming off a loss he was as close to a title shot in his division as Kampmann was in his. I think Shields going down a weight class he got more leeway and with Aldo, coming up a weight class, is the bigger issue for the UFC. Aldo, should stay in the division he is and if not he should have to work his way up like the rest, hell Anderson Silva's first fight moving up a division was James Irvin, atleast they offered a decent name to Aldo.

Post #11   11/6/10 4:47:44AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
If Aldo's camp really feels Aldo is p4p one of the best, fight anyone. Edgar and Sherk appear to be better than kenflo, therefore Kenflo should be an easier fight. Than again tho, an L to anyone besides Edgar may ruin Aldo's career.
who knows, but i would like to see kenny in another exciting and challenging fight-hopefully Dunham will make it happen!

Post #12   11/6/10 10:54:33AM   

Focker101

MMA Regular

Focker101 Avatar

Career:1,394-777
Chips:
Simply If BJ was not already scheduled to fight Hughes @ WW they would have dropped his name

So they picked the only other UFC contracted fighter that has recently held the LW belt and is coming off a victory, It does not matter if people agree with the decision or not

Post #13   11/6/10 11:12:59AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I agree with the Aldo camp on this one. But I wouldn't mind seeing him destroy Florian just to prove a point now.

Post #14   11/6/10 11:38:07AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,512-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jay98107

Except Shields was coming from an org with different owners. WEC was owned by Zuffa.

Posted by GhostofaWarrior

Im suprised Aldo feels that he can put down Kenny Florian. Aldo has yet to prove himself to any top lightweight, why does he feel he is entitled to Frank Edgar. And Sherk would be on aldo like flies on ****

Did BJ Penn have to fight anybody to earn his shot at GSP? No. It's a championship fight. The champ form one division fighting another. It makes not sense to have them go through a warm up.

Post #15   11/8/10 11:36:37AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2