Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Nover And Out: Former TUF Finalist Enjoying Life As A Normal Person

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
Perhaps best known as the guy who fainted in front of Dana White at the start of Ultimate FIghter season 8 before reaching the finals that season, Phillipe Nover is now taking a break after an 0-3 UFC run and has returned to work in the medical professoin. For now, at least. "With MMA, the stability just isn’t there like where I work now ... I lost and basically needed to get my life stabilized ... I needed to get a stable job and not have to wait every three or four months to get paid. I needed a job with insurance and a pension. Now I’m working, and I help doctors put catheters in people’s hearts. It’s a great job that I was looking to get for a while. I’ve also been getting involved in the coaching aspect of fighting, which has been a dream of mine ... My manager did call me, but he knows I’m taking time off right now ... I want to be a normal person for a little bit because fighting does take up a lot of your time."

Article

Post #1   11/5/10 10:34:04AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I'm sure he's enjoying it a lot more than being on the UFC payroll.

Post #2   11/5/10 11:46:38AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

Wasn't he supposed to be the lightweight version of Anderson Silva? Whatever happened to that?

Post #3   11/5/10 12:05:09PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

Wasn't he supposed to be the lightweight version of Anderson Silva? Whatever happened to that?

He didnt live up to the hype. Plus a series of unusual medical issues.

I think he'd have been better suited to 145.

Post #4   11/5/10 3:07:40PM   

lll-lll

Standup Guy

lll-lll Avatar

Career:885-523
Camp: The UFC Nutriders
Chips:
When you get beat by Escuerdo, Bradley and Emerson its probally time to hang it up anyway. I mean the guy couldn't make it 2 minutes with KYLE BRADLEY! I think he was like a 4-1 favorite for that fight!

Post #5   11/5/10 4:43:30PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Aether

I'm sure he's enjoying it a lot more than being on the UFC payroll.

Saving lives in a cath lab sounds like pretty rewarding work to me. Especially because he's probably getting at least 80-90k a year with full benefits and 4 days off per week. Not sure why people think being in the UFC is the be all end all for everyone.

What I think is funny is that DW said this guy was the next Anderson Silva Remember that next time Dana is hyping a fighter

Post #6   11/8/10 9:39:25AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
And, heck, there are some departments that wouldn't mind having a nurse who knows jiu-jitsu around.

Post #7   11/8/10 10:46:36AM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,135-1,197
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

And, heck, there are some departments that wouldn't mind having a nurse who knows jiu-jitsu around.

Good Point, You never know, Junie Browning could get admitted again. Or even worse War Machine.

Post #8   11/8/10 1:47:31PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by AchillesHeel

Good Point, You never know, Junie Browning could get admitted again. Or even worse War Machine.

According to a report from the U.S. Dept of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, nurses, psychiatric aides, and home health aides accounted for 5% of all non-fatal workplace injuries that resulted in time away from work, for the period 1995 to 2004. Only truck drivers and manual laborers suffered a higher rate of injury due to overexertion (e.g. back strains, muscle pulls, etc).

Over that same 10-year period, nurses were 7 times more likely to be assaulted on the job than the average working American, and represented 30% of all workplace assaults for the period.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/sh20060628ar01p1.htm

Post #9   11/8/10 2:44:44PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

According to a report from the U.S. Dept of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics, nurses, psychiatric aides, and home health aides accounted for 5% of all non-fatal workplace injuries that resulted in time away from work, for the period 1995 to 2004. Only truck drivers and manual laborers suffered a higher rate of injury due to overexertion (e.g. back strains, muscle pulls, etc).

Over that same 10-year period, nurses were 7 times more likely to be assaulted on the job than the average working American, and represented 30% of all workplace assaults for the period.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/cwc/sh20060628ar01p1.htm

Wow, I feel great about my fiance's job now. She is a home care nurse, and has people with psychiatric issues from time to time. Might be time I start teaching her jiu jitsu.

Post #10   11/8/10 3:20:57PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Yeah he'll get called in on all of the "tough" patients. haha. He's a little guy though...dont' know if it will matter all that much.

Good for him though. That's a good job. I feel the worst for fighters who DON'T have a college education or a skill/career to fall back on. Everyone knows it's only temporary--that it's only a season in your life. The chances of being a superstar in the UFC and making millions is even less than in any other sport because the money simply isn't the same. Even guys that get 3 fight contracts for 250K don't REALLY get 250K. They have to pay for training, they pay their gym a percentage, their management a percentage, they pay their own health insurance---and they are injured ALL THE TIME, not to mention the lovely skin rashes and mrsa outbreaks.

Yeah. Not an easy profession. Here eat boiled chicken for 3 weeks. I got you a fight 15 pounds out of your regular weight class. It pays 3,000...hope you make weight....Hats off to the guys doing it. Nover had his chance, made it to the big show..now he's getting paid for less damage.

Post #11   11/10/10 2:14:31AM   

4u2nv

Standup Guy

4u2nv Avatar

Career:705-497
Chips:

Posted by EliasG

Yeah he'll get called in on all of the "tough" patients. haha. He's a little guy though...dont' know if it will matter all that much.

Good for him though. That's a good job. I feel the worst for fighters who DON'T have a college education or a skill/career to fall back on. Everyone knows it's only temporary--that it's only a season in your life. The chances of being a superstar in the UFC and making millions is even less than in any other sport because the money simply isn't the same. Even guys that get 3 fight contracts for 250K don't REALLY get 250K. They have to pay for training, they pay their gym a percentage, their management a percentage, they pay their own health insurance---and they are injured ALL THE TIME, not to mention the lovely skin rashes and mrsa outbreaks.

Yeah. Not an easy profession. Here eat boiled chicken for 3 weeks. I got you a fight 15 pounds out of your regular weight class. It pays 3,000...hope you make weight....Hats off to the guys doing it. Nover had his chance, made it to the big show..now he's getting paid for less damage.

My thought exactly. That's why I lost my job 2 years back and at the time worked 9-5 and trained 6-9 a day and went to the gym during lunch breaks and ate and slept mma for the most part decided that when I had the chance to make something out of it, I said no thanks and went back to school finished up bach degree and no on to grad school. Mma is still there just not a huge part of my life. I'lll be doing it till I can't walk in my 80's I hope but I can't for a profession. I mean maybe I suck as it and I'm not gifted but I was on a 4-0 rampage but just couldn't see myself doing this and starting a family, career, a life. Props to Nover and to all the fighters and people that didn't choose fighting path of life.

Post #12   11/10/10 9:52:52AM