Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Does Grispi have any kind of chance against Aldo?

Print  
Posted By Message

dobieman0488

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
i vote no.

Post #1   10/29/10 7:33:39PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Why? What aspects of Aldos game do you attribute to Grispi's 0% chance of winning? Or is it a flaw you see in Grispi's game that assures this hands down victory? Welcome to MMAPLAYGROUND Land of thoughtful conversation and intelligent debate!

Post #2   10/29/10 9:50:51PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'll pick up the slack for him.

I think this is a tough match for Grispi. Grispi starts fast and goes for broke while Aldo has been using the first round to stay out, get the timing of his opponent, and land a couple of those leg kicks to put the fear in his opponents so they start getting desperate. Watch Aldo/Manny, the first time Aldo lands a good kick Manny's eyes bug out. As an early thought, I see Grispi coming out gangbusters, showing his whole bag of tricks to Aldo, and then Aldo either decide he is going to chop him down or work his hands.

Grispi's got that great guillotine, but I don't see that coming into play here. I'd also be surprised to see Grispi get the takedown. Grispi does have good takedowns, but Aldo has shown some really great tdd.

One thing that does make this fight interesting is that Grispi is the biggest guy Aldo has fought in the UFC. If Grispi is able to trap Aldo against the fence on the feet or on the ground, it will be interesting to see how Aldo handles it. We might get some clues about how Aldo will do against the larger guys that are surely going to be dropping from LW now.

I think it was a good match to make, but I'd be surprised if it turns out being something besides a showcase for Aldo for the UFC fanbase.

Last edited 10/29/10 10:24PM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/29/10 10:23:33PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,671-1,523
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
i was a little surprised it wasnt hominick that got the shot if for no other reason that he would stand with aldo as a showcase fight for the champ. grispi is a tad underrated IMO, and ncordless had a great point about josh's size, and i think that may give aldo some problems. if i had to attach a percentage to the chances grispi winning it would end up below 20% though, aldo has been as impressive as anyone since joining the WEC.

Post #4   10/30/10 11:06:11AM   

Riggeee

MMA Regular

Riggeee Avatar

Career:686-426
Chips:
i think Grispi is gonna try to just use his kicks for range and rarely throw punches, and wait for Aldo to kick so he can snatch it and take him down or like the earlier post said put him against the fence and use his size advantage.

Grispi's biggest shot at winning is grappling, it just depends on how cautious he is when hes standing with Aldo, and his timing with those kicks for the takedown, obviously its easier said than done, but he might be able to use his size to impose the takedowns and possibly submit Aldo.

Hes definetly gonna be a huge underdog, but hes "The Fluke" for a reason, and hes got a good shot if it hits the floor IMO.

Post #5   10/30/10 10:20:31PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,239-734
Chips:
Nobodies immortal, there's always one guy out there who has your number.

I'm not saying Grispi's going to beat him, but this is a sport where anything can happen, Fedor losing to Wedrum, Serra Beating GSP, Shogun leaving it in the hands of the judges, Faber getting cracked by Mike Brown, Matt Wilmans dodgy finish to Mac Danzig, Ben Rothwell Cain Velasquez when Ben was taking the punches but was using his hands to work himself back to his feet causing a premature stoppage

Once again, i am not expecting an upset, but a man with a 14-1 record having only 1 decision win with a WEC record of 4-0 its not like it he's faced George the Janitor, and even if he has... He's finished the fight

So yes he does have a chance, he's a massive underdog, but remember Frankie Edgar?
The Poll Said it all 3780 thought BJ Penn would win with only 137 people thinking Frankie would do it, 97% of people thought the same
And in the rematch only 676 people picked Frankie Edgar with 3255 people picking BJ Penn 83%. Thats 14% change, only 14% were impressed and only 17% of people where right.

Just remember that, in MMA you can never be 100% confident, even if Brock Lesnar was facing George the Janitor, one dodgy elbow, one dodgy cut and an unconfident doctor

I was a part of the 75 people who thought Jason Brilz stood a chance against Lil Nog and i am now part of the masses who believe he won that fight.

Dirty Blue

Post #6   10/31/10 8:39:19AM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:
And you know what, i am willing to avatar bet against Aldo.... a bit of a crazy one but, the pressure will be on Aldo, first fight in a bigger cage, the odds are against him, Grispi has nothing to lose

Dirty Blue

Post #7   10/31/10 8:41:59AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Chips:
Of course he does. He could knock him out with one blow, or hold him down for 5 rounds. Is that likely? Probably not.
But, the moment you cant see a way for a fighter to win any particular match-up, that's the moment you just gave up looking.

Fedor - Werdum & Sonnen - Marquardt come to mind.

Post #8   11/1/10 3:59:07PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,949-1,115
Chips:

Posted by jjeans

And you know what, i am willing to avatar bet against Aldo.... a bit of a crazy one but, the pressure will be on Aldo, first fight in a bigger cage, the odds are against him, Grispi has nothing to lose

I accept your avatar bet. I take Aldo, you got Grispi.

Post #9   11/1/10 4:07:56PM   

jjeans

jjeans Avatar

Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by jjeans

Nice one

Dirty Blue

Post #10   11/1/10 4:51:33PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Grispi is a good fighter. I do think he should have fought in nov
And give homminick the title shot
Mark is undefeated in ufc. And fans may know him more than grispi
Will it make it out of the first round, I do think so. Second. Highly unlikely

Post #11   11/2/10 11:59:36AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

Posted by jjeans

This sounds eerily familiar...

Post #12   11/2/10 1:14:49PM   

fonduktoe

In Full Mount

fonduktoe Avatar

Career:1,593-984
Camp: The Tokyo Bacon Wolves
Chips:
grispi may be a big fw but so was mike brown and manny. i see this fight going deep ala aldo v faber but only because aldo will have big show jitters and decides to play it safe. aldo by ud due to technical domintion with little fireworks

Post #13   11/3/10 2:20:42AM   

kaduey

In Full Mount

kaduey Avatar

Career:1,537-829
Chips:

Posted by postman

Why? What aspects of Aldos game do you attribute to Grispi's 0% chance of winning? Or is it a flaw you see in Grispi's game that assures this hands down victory? Welcome to MMAPLAYGROUND Land of thoughtful conversation and intelligent debate!

A bit off topic but going to other internet forums like the underground and reading the pure ignorance and bigotry on a daily basis is frightening to me as a passionate fan of mma. This site is always refreshing and reminds me that not every fan is a few centuries behind in brain development.

Post #14   11/6/10 10:25:23AM