Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

The Year of the Upset

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

JunCTion

READY TO SMILE AND LOVE LIFE!!

JunCTion Avatar

Career:543-390
Camp: Camp David
Chips:

Posted by MMA

IMO these are the only true upsets:

Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou defeating Antonio Rogerio Nogueira & Ricardo Arona all in the first round with KO punch.

Joe Lauzon knocking out Jens Pulver (not this year though).

Matt Serra's TKO victory in the 1st round against St. Pierre.

I really do not consider the other ones as major upsets. Couture has traditionally done well against strikers and it was a good styles match-up. Which ever fighter imposed their will would have won that fight. It was a shocker how he dominated Sylvia, but not really a huge upset IMO.

Cro Cop losing to Gonzaga was surprising to me. But not because Gonzaga won, but because the way he won the fight (via a high kick). Gonzaga is a strong grappler who has a solid chin and heavy hands. His style matches up very well against Cro Cop, I don't know why people consider this a huge upset.

Oh, I forgot to mention about Diaz and Henderson, but those weren't upsets either. Too lazy to explain it to though.

i agree with rameau & serra but are they upsets if they both go another 2 or 3 fights without losing

and mastadon, its nowhere near the worst year in mma. its crazy exciting. to me the worst would be if every single favorite won every fight by the same usual finish. no one has known what tro expect
so tepid55 is exactly correct

Post #16   4/24/07 12:20:09AM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Posted by garrick

This years crazy. I keep thinking I'm picking the guy with the no-problem win but it always goes the other way! I've stopped counting out the man who they say has no chance.

Me too. Lost $100 bucks on Mirko. Lost money on GSP and Sanchez, too. Just got back to the $500 mark with points from the last card.

Last edited 4/24/07 12:50AM server time by hook_tothe_body
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   4/24/07 12:49:29AM   

Sopena66669

MMA Regular

Career:30-7
Chips:
This year is just proving that with all fighters being so well rounded that anything is possible... with these little 4ounce baby gloves i knock out could come at any time and could come from just about anyone... with of course with the exception of mark hunt everyone is pretty much at risk...

Post #18   4/24/07 2:01:23AM   

BigWilly

Learning to Sprawl

BigWilly Avatar

Career:98-62
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
Im still in shock about crocop....

Post #19   4/24/07 4:48:56PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2