Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Game over? EA Sports MMA 'appears to be more or less DOA at retail' stores

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek

Posted by prozacnation1978

I was planning on buying it. But now if its not that great
And no more EA games coming out. Why bother then

So you're going to base your decision to buy it off of one article?

Wow. I could sell you the world.

Isn't that a song from Aladdin?

That's "A Whole New World"

The lyrics are:

I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

Post #16   10/25/10 7:22:13PM   

danr83

Learning to Sprawl

danr83 Avatar

Career:1,035-787
Camp: GTi Champions
Chips:
UFC Undisputed is much better anyway, good riddance.

Post #17   10/25/10 7:38:14PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I'm interested to hear an "official" word from EA before anyone jumps to conclusions. EA head Peter Moore stated in one video interview (something along the lines of) " they where well aware this will be an uphill struggle and that it will take consecutive releases before they see the results they expect "

Keep in mind that's not a direct quote but it was something very close to that.
Whether EA sticks by those guns is yet to be seen but THQ's second release of its Undisputed franchise did have a unpresidented drop off record and according to one report someone posted here on the playground quickly became the fastest traded in game of the year. The sells where good from what I remember but not stellar enough for THQ to continue releasing yearly releases, and this was with well known "name" fighters to boot. The video game industry seems to have a love/hate relationship with MMA games and the last 2 released MMA games prove that in their own ways.

If this was to be EA's only MMA game it's a crying shame. Most people compare the game to THQ's sophmore effort in Undisputed 2010 when I feel it should be compare to 09. Despite it's drawbacks, I can only smile when imagining what a second or even third game could hold in store if EA continued.
The first effort had a much better imagined career mode. A ton of nick names and real names that Undisputed is desperatley lacking (though THQ definently has the better CAF mode), and imo, has a much better game engine. Too many times in 09 and 2010 most matches became more akin to kickboxing matches. Not to mention a very laggy online mode.

I 'm very interested to see if the people at EA stick by the words and weather it out or if they drop out of the race altogether.

Post #18   10/25/10 8:17:36PM   

ChrisSabal

Go Cubs Go!

ChrisSabal Avatar

Career:807-565
Camp: TKO
Chips:
I would also like to say that I think EA has it right with you can actually fight to a decision in this game. In Undisputed fighting to a decision is something I actually find very hard to do. I think that should be one of the achievements/trophies "fight to a decision"

Post #19   10/25/10 8:49:09PM   

xtra_chewy

Standup Guy

xtra_chewy Avatar

Career:2,905-1,538
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I'm on the UFC > EA bandwagon. Fallout: New Vegas has been controlling my life too much for me to think about playing an MMA game....

Post #20   10/25/10 9:44:20PM   

Aleks_Smash

MMA Regular

Aleks_Smash Avatar

Career:694-497
Chips:
I love the game. i bought it early. there are things that it lacks CAF wise but still the game play i feel is better. i wont be purchasing another UFC game again, as long as there are EA games that is.

Post #21   10/25/10 10:03:40PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

I'm interested to hear an "official" word from EA before anyone jumps to conclusions. EA head Peter Moore stated in one video interview (something along the lines of) " they where well aware this will be an uphill struggle and that it will take consecutive releases before they see the results they expect "

Whether EA sticks by those guns is yet to be seen but THQ's second release of its Undisputed franchise did have a unpresidented drop off record and according to one report someone posted here on the playground quickly became the fastest traded in game of the year. The sells where good from what I remember but not stellar enough for THQ to continue releasing yearly releases, and this was with well known "name" fighters to boot. The video game industry seems to have a love/hate relationship with MMA games and the last 2 released MMA games prove that in their own ways.

If this was to be EA's only MMA game it's a crying shame. Most people compare the game to THQ's sophmore effort in Undisputed 2010 when I feel it should be compare to 09. Despite it's drawbacks, I can only smile when imagining what a second or even third game could hold in store if EA continued.
The first effort had a much better imagined career mode. A ton of nick names and real names that Undisputed is desperatley lacking (though THQ definently has the better CAF mode), and imo, has a much better game engine. Too many times in 09 and 2010 most matches became more akin to kickboxing matches. Not to mention a very laggy online mode.

I 'm very interested to see if the people at EA stick by the words and weather it out or if they drop out of the race altogether.

The drop off record was likely because of the unprecedented sales of the first game. 2009 was an unquestionable success, people probably didn't think much would've changed for 2010.

Also, if people were to compare it to 2009 you'd likely hear even worse reviews considering many people preferred the first game to the second.

The way I compare the two games is this way: UFC 2010 has gotten the meat and potatoes perfectly (the real substance which is game play, CAF, ect.) but is lacking in the bells and whistles (menus, interesting career mode). EA MMA has gotten the extra stuff down (graphics, fun fighter entrances) but completely missed the important part (fun realistic game play).

EA MMA is too basic and way to unrealistic. Playing it is more like a chore than an entertaining experience. I doubt they can stay in the market. Their only hope was to have an awesome game (to make up for the lack of name recognition). Instead they came out with Fight Night Round 4 (the very worst game in the series) again and made some transitions to make it an MMA game.

Post #22   10/26/10 1:42:57AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,884-1,626
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by gartface

That's a shame.

especially when EA put out a better product than the UFC and THQ in my opinion.

I really think this game is a lot better than the UFC game, but that's just me

Post #23   10/26/10 2:08:08AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by gartface

Posted by emfleek

Isn't that a song from Aladdin?

That's "A Whole New World"

The lyrics are:

I can show you the world
Shining, shimmering, splendid
Tell me, princess, now when did
You last let your heart decide?

Post #24   10/26/10 8:36:27AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I don't get the shock factor of EA's game not doing that well. To most of the world MMA is UFC.
EA would have had to put out a game 100x better than what THQ have produced to even compete with UFC 2010 as well as ran a huge promotion campaign!

As it stands its produced a product that can by all standards compete with THQ's but it lacks the character recognition, brand power, the marketing that THQ's game got and TV hype from TUF!

I personally think its doesn't play as well as UFC 2010 or have the same level of depth but opinions aside it was never going to do as well and I'd honestly be shocked if they released another one.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #25   10/26/10 8:53:36AM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,343-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
EA should have known better than to make the major mistake they made.

They underestimated the power of the UFC's brand. Making an MMA game without the UFC in it would be like making a baseball game for just the AAA teams. Even if the game is better its not going to sell.

Post #26   10/26/10 11:07:21AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by mrsmiley

The drop off record was likely because of the unprecedented sales of the first game. 2009 was an unquestionable success, people probably didn't think much would've changed for 2010.

Also, if people were to compare it to 2009 you'd likely hear even worse reviews considering many people preferred the first game to the second.

The way I compare the two games is this way: UFC 2010 has gotten the meat and potatoes perfectly (the real substance which is game play, CAF, ect.) but is lacking in the bells and whistles (menus, interesting career mode). EA MMA has gotten the extra stuff down (graphics, fun fighter entrances) but completely missed the important part (fun realistic game play).

EA MMA is too basic and way to unrealistic. Playing it is more like a chore than an entertaining experience. I doubt they can stay in the market. Their only hope was to have an awesome game (to make up for the lack of name recognition). Instead they came out with Fight Night Round 4 (the very worst game in the series) again and made some transitions to make it an MMA game.

I find the gameplay very fun with EA mma .I find it fun with Undisputed as well(despite the frustrations I find with it). I don't see the subject as black and white. This one bad. This one good. I think what EA was going for was to look at what MMA fans found wrong with THQ's product and try to correct it with their own product,yet make it fresh at the same time. With Undisputed I felt the feel was too much like an arcade game. Strategy was second to just making a fight a stand up war. That was okay. Aften a while you find the rust and vunerable spots in any video game. With Undisputed it just seem to happen a lot quicker than I would have hoped.
I prefer 2010 to 09. The problem that I have with 2010 is that everything in it should have been in 09. I think THQ thought Undisputed could work as a yearly title just like RvsS, but didn't take into consideration the differnce in fans and the differnce in what a wrestling game brings in against what an MMA game brings. I think THQ is really going to have to bring it for their next release or just hope holding out an extra year or two will make people buy a UFC game no matter how Identical it is to the previous version.

Post #27   10/26/10 3:14:33PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

No you couldn't. Steve Jobs owns the patent for the world.

Post #28   10/26/10 3:36:47PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

No you couldn't. Steve Jobs owns the patent for the world.

Well played.

Post #29   10/26/10 3:52:24PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by Bowen50

Posted by gartface

That's a shame.

especially when EA put out a better product than the UFC and THQ in my opinion.

Completely agree. It is such a great game.

Post #30   10/26/10 4:25:14PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3