Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC president defends pre-UFC 121 marketing of new champ Cain Velasquez

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
ANAHEIM, Calif. – UFC president Dana White said the promotion simply uses what's already there when it cuts a promo.

The executive blasted critics who said Cain Velasquez's Mexican heritage was exploited in the buildup to this past weekend's UFC 121 event.

"What we do is we take a storyline in what a guy's life is," White said.

Velasquez, who bears a "Brown Pride" tattoo on his chest, sent the 14,000-plus fans in attendance into a frenzy this past Saturday at Anaheim's Honda Center when he won the UFC heavyweight title from Brock Lesnar with a first-round TKO.

LINK

Post #1   10/25/10 2:19:09PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:
I still don't see what the big deal is. Whatever!

Post #2   10/25/10 2:31:55PM   

SpiderSilva

Reminder: steelers suck!!!

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,855-1,155
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
because he is american like born in america.
not mexican or you could also call him mexican american
look how long it took oscar de la hoya to be excepted by mexicans in boxing

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   10/25/10 7:55:49PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

I don't personally think it matters, per se, where you were "born" both of his parents are Mexican, he is Mexican. American is not an ethnicity, nor is it a race. It's a country.

If your parents are both French, speak French, and raise you on French culture, but you happen to have been born and raised in Antarctica, that doesn't make you "Antarctican." Other than habitation, you have no real ties to that country genetically. His parents brought him up with a very Mexican upbringing, taught him Spanish, and instilled the cultural beliefs of Mexico in him. He's a Mexican.

I think it's ridiculous that people add hyphens to everything. How many "African-Americans" are actually from Africa? I'm sure they could genetically trace it back there if they went far enough back, but come on, I'm sure I could do the same thing. At a certain point, Velasquez is first generation here in America.

Post #4   10/25/10 10:12:01PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Chips:
Dude has brown pride tattoo'd on his chest. I think you have to market him the way they did to at least let the audience understand the context of that tattoo.

Post #5   10/25/10 10:18:27PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Dude has brown pride tattoo'd on his chest. I think you have to market him the way they did to at least let the audience understand the context of that tattoo.

Velasquez markets himself that way. He's got a green, white, and red mouth guard, Walks to the octagon with a Mexican flag, and identifies himself with Mexico.

I personally think this article is just people nit-picking over something ridiculous. Many fighters identify themselves with their heritage. I think their only gripe is that Velasquez was BORN in America, rather than Mexico. Nevermind that he is first generation.

Post #6   10/25/10 10:24:21PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by Pookie

Velasquez markets himself that way. He's got a green, white, and red mouth guard, Walks to the octagon with a Mexican flag, and identifies himself with Mexico.

I personally think this article is just people nit-picking over something ridiculous. Many fighters identify themselves with their heritage. I think their only gripe is that Velasquez was BORN in America, rather than Mexico. Nevermind that he is first generation.

I tend to agree with you on this one. I've wanted to weigh in at times about this whole issue but I honestly can't even really find myself giving a damn.

Maybe it's because I've been surrounded by Mexicans my whole life or maybe it's that it truly is a non-issue, but honestly.. I just don't care at all and I think this whole thing is WAYYYY blown out of proportion.

I think Cain has presented himself very well throughout his career, I have talked to several people who know him pretty personally that only speak highly of him, and all his teammates/ex-teammates speak highly of him. I think that says a lot more than a tattoo he may or may not have gotten as a mistake when he was younger if it really does mean what some people tend to think it means.

Last edited 10/25/10 10:43PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   10/25/10 10:29:32PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I tend to agree with you on this one. I've wanted to weigh in at times about this whole issue but I honestly can't even really find myself giving a damn.

Maybe it's because I've been surrounded by Mexicans my whole life or maybe it's that it truly is a non-issue, but honestly.. I just don't care at all and I think this whole thing is WAYYYY blown out of proportion.

I think Cain has presented himself very well throughout his career, I have talked to several people who know him pretty personally, and all his teammates/ex-teammates speak highly of him. I think that says a lot more than a tattoo he may or may not have gotten as a mistake when he was younger.

I'm right there with you. I don't understand this. I live in a primarily Latino community. 68% of my university is Latino. They identify themselves with Mexican, fine by me. Who gives a sh*t?

If I remember correctly, there was a countdown a while back where he discussed his tattoo, why he got it, and what its significance was. If my memory serves me correctly, it's the same countdown where they talked to his family and showed his father's ranch and such.

Last edited 10/25/10 10:42PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   10/25/10 10:33:25PM   

Hideous

Learning to Sprawl

Career:229-178
Chips:
ok , but imagine the sh*t storm over a white guy with a big "white pride" tattoo on his chest!
lord knows the blacks, the muslims , hell just about everyone would have a fit because this guy would be seen as a racist as opposed to someone that is proud of his heritage.

Post #9   10/26/10 6:27:01AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:

Posted by Hideous

ok , but imagine the sh*t storm over a white guy with a big "white pride" tattoo on his chest!
lord knows the blacks, the muslims , hell just about everyone would have a fit because this guy would be seen as a racist as opposed to someone that is proud of his heritage.

People don`t get upset about `White Pride` slogans because being proud of your ethnicity is inherently racist, they get upset because those words have a very specific connection with violent, intolerant hate-groups who have taken it up as their slogan.

I don`t really see any problem with it. I don`t think pride in your ethnicity and prejudice against other ethnicities are the same thing at all.

Post #10   10/26/10 7:25:47AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by SpiderSilva

I don't personally think it matters, per se, where you were "born" both of his parents are Mexican, he is Mexican. American is not an ethnicity, nor is it a race. It's a country.

If your parents are both French, speak French, and raise you on French culture, but you happen to have been born and raised in Antarctica, that doesn't make you "Antarctican." Other than habitation, you have no real ties to that country genetically. His parents brought him up with a very Mexican upbringing, taught him Spanish, and instilled the cultural beliefs of Mexico in him. He's a Mexican.

I think it's ridiculous that people add hyphens to everything. How many "African-Americans" are actually from Africa? I'm sure they could genetically trace it back there if they went far enough back, but come on, I'm sure I could do the same thing. At a certain point, Velasquez is first generation here in America.

American and Mexican are both a nationality not a race...french is not a race either. race doesn't have a really clear definition and most people associate race with their families country of origin which is why we think of mexican as as a race.

to me, Cain is 100 percent American. His family comes from Mexico. all that means is that he grew up with better food than most other americans.

Post #11   10/26/10 5:54:57PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
It's no worse than Marcus Davis calling himself the Irish Hand Grenade and only fighting in the UK if you ask me.

Post #12   10/26/10 6:25:17PM