Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Hamill/Jones Rematch?

Print  
Posted By Message

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I was just looking over UFC.com and I read the article about "8 Things You Don't Know About Matt Hamill" and I couldn't help but get the feeling this will happen next. Just a few weeks after mentioning Jones .vs. Bader, Dana White starts hinting that the Jones .vs. Bader may actually not happen, and big plans are ahead. I thought that was strange of him. Well, near the end of the Hamill article I read this about Jones' win over Hamill and the chance of a rematch:

"He’s open to the idea of earning the W: “I still have unfinished business with him, and I’m sure down the road it could happen,” says Hamill. “I have a feeling we’ll fight in Madison Square Garden,” he hints – both men train out of New York, one of the few remaining states where MMA is not legalized.

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is why Dana was hinting that the Jones .vs. Bader fight might not happen? Dana is smart enough to know that going ahead with that fight will do more bad than good, as he would be destroying the credit of one of his top contenders in the division. But, if he sets up the rematch with Hamill he will not only save a contender from Jones/Bader, but will also give Bones the chance to avenge his only loss thus far, if Hamill managed to get past Ortiz, which he did. In the 121 press conference Dana also mentioned that Hamill WILL get a top ten fighter next, and it seemed as if he already had someone in mind.

On top of that, Dana also keeps hinting around his interviews that something big will be coming in the MMA world within the next few months. Could this be Madison Square Garden opening up to MMA? Hamill had the right idea, Jones/Hamill there would certainly would bring fans considering both train out of New York.

What do you guys think?

Last edited 10/24/10 9:15PM server time by FastKnockout
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   10/24/10 9:14:08PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:

Posted by FastKnockout

Does anyone else get the feeling that this is why Dana was hinting that the Jones .vs. Bader fight might not happen? Dana is smart enough to know that going ahead with that fight will do more bad than good, as he would be destroying the credit of one of his top contenders in the division. But, if he sets up the rematch with Hamill he will not only save a contender from Jones/Bader, but will also give Bones the chance to avenge his only loss thus far, if Hamill managed to get past Ortiz, which he did. In the 121 press conference Dana also mentioned that Hamill WILL get a top ten fighter next, and it seemed as if he already had someone in mind.

I don't see how a loss would "discredit" either fighter's record. It's pretty well known that both are rising stars and that a loss on either record simply means a few more chances to hone their skills before what would seem to be an inevitable title shot. Further I don't see the UFC being able to spring-board Jones closer to a title shot with another destruction of Hamill. Sure there is a story line, but in the grand scheme of things the fight would do anything to propel Jones forward.

I think you've got pretty solid speculation given the other reasons you've stated. And I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility. But I would think that if they don't fight each other than Jones will probably get someone higher up the food chain rather than another date with Hamill.

Post #2   10/24/10 9:31:27PM   

FastKnockout

$ Impin' Ain't Easy $

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,722-963
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by FastKnockout

I don't see how a loss would "discredit" either fighter's record. It's pretty well known that both are rising stars and that a loss on either record simply means a few more chances to hone their skills before what would seem to be an inevitable title shot. Further I don't see the UFC being able to spring-board Jones closer to a title shot with another destruction of Hamill. Sure there is a story line, but in the grand scheme of things the fight would do anything to propel Jones forward.

I think you've got pretty solid speculation given the other reasons you've stated. And I'm not saying it's out of the realm of possibility. But I would think that if they don't fight each other than Jones will probably get someone higher up the food chain rather than another date with Hamill.

You have to think though, the UFC usually values money and PPV rates more than anything. They don't always concern themselves with which fighters deserve which fights. Junior Dos Santos for example, in my opinion he was given Roy Nelson as a "safe" fight so that he could hold his position in line for the title. The Heavyweight division doesn't have enough high level fighters for legit nonstop contenders, and the same can be said for Light Heavyweight. Besides Jones and Bader, who else really deserves a title shot? Rematches can only go so far, and doesn't always earn money and PPV rates. In a buisness perspective, it would be smarter to keep Jones and Bader away from each other, give one a title shot and the other a "safe" fight (such as Bones vs Hamill) and that way when the next title fight is over you already have another lined up. See what I'm saying.

Look at it like this:

Possibility one:

*Jones .vs. Bader

*Bader loses

*Jones fights Shogun/Evans, Bader is sent to fight someone lower in level

*Jones fights Shogun/Evans, Jones wins, now who will fight him for the title? Who else deserves the next shot? No clear contender

Possibility 2:

*Jones fights Hamill

*Bader fights ???

*Jones wins, gets shot at Shogun/Evans

*Bader wins, and becomes the next clear contender after Jones

See what I'm saying?

Post #3   10/24/10 9:52:20PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
this fight is pointless IMO and I doubt very much that it will happen. Jones steamrolled him, time for him to move up in competition significantly.

Post #4   10/24/10 10:53:27PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,630
Chips:
I think Bader vs Hamill makes sense right now if Bader can't fight Jones who would demolish Bader IMO similar to his fight with Hamill....the style doesn't make for a favorable match up IMO, Bader is a slow power puncher and wrestler like Hamill and thus I think it would end the same way. I do think Jones should fight a #5-3 opponent though and think Thiago Silva would also get floored, I'd say give him the winner between Machida vs Rampage for the #1 contender spot.

Post #5   10/24/10 10:54:37PM   

Cdellorso

In Full Mount

Cdellorso Avatar

Career:647-447
Camp: Wild Wind
Chips:
right on on most of the points but i think its more like the loser of rampage -eveans as the winner will CLEARLY get the next title shot.

Post #6   10/25/10 8:17:36PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,140-679
Chips:
Jones/Hamill rematch is irrelevant, Hamill got wrecked, i mean consider this quote
"I beat up a deaf guy now he's blind" that fight was harsh, a rematch is unneeded and the fight would end up with a very simular result

I understand your point with Bader Jones etc but just bare in mind, Jon Jones wont fight Rashad Evans

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #7   10/26/10 11:37:47AM   

GhostofaWarrior

Learning to Sprawl

GhostofaWarrior Avatar

Career:147-89
Camp: Men of the hour
Chips:
Well, I dont know. I guess rampage and Lyoto dont fight in the ufc anymore. Forrest griffin if he beats Franklin, will be in the mix for that title. And they wouldnt give jon jones a title shot off of Bader. I mean, thats just not gonna happen. If rashad evans wins, it def wont happen because Jons mentioned he will not fight rashad because they are friends and training partners.

Post #8   10/29/10 10:36:27AM