Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

White Talks Fedor, Overeem and Co-Promotion

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It's been a couple of years since Dana White went on an international trip to try and negotiate a deal to bring Fedor Emelianenko to the UFC, but it is still a hot button subject with a great many fans that want to see the former Pride champion compete in the Octagon.

Since that time, the UFC has established an strong heavyweight division with champion Brock Lesnar ruling the roost and top contenders like Cain Velasquez, Junior Dos Santos, and Shane Carwin anchoring the weight class along with him.

Fedor lost his most recent effort, being submitted by Fabricio Werdum, and while many believed that White would have been cheering his demise, he says it was far from that.

"A lot of people were saying that, 'you must have been happy when Fedor (lost).' To be honest with you, I'm as much of a fight fan as all you guys are," White said on Friday. "You hear me talk about Fedor. I flew to crazy places, made him a very respectable offer to come in and fight. I would have loved to have done him and Brock Lesnar or whoever. I tried to make that fight happen, and they know it, whether they say it or not.

LINK

Post #1   10/16/10 11:18:06AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
He wants them to fight 3 times a year yet Brock, Shogun, Anderson, GSP, and Penn are all averaging 2 tops.

Post #2   10/16/10 11:35:41AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
UFC Getting Fedor and Overeem would rule. M-1 is a bad manager for Fedor imo and they think they can call all the shots. It is hard to sell Fedor now after he lost. The anchorman from hdnet mentioned Fedor is like Brett Favre. He is still good, but either his best days are behind him and/or there are better guys fighting these days.

Fedors problem is M-1 trying to get money, and not putting Fedor's best interests forward. They should encourage him to only take on the best to gain sucess and money. Instead M-1 is doing the opposite by having him take easy fights, which looks even worse when you lose to a 6-1 underdog like Werdum was.

Overeem's problem is fighting in other leauges simultaneously. If he is doing that to stay busy, the UFC will keep him just as if not more busy. But if he is doing K-1 for pride and glory, the UFC won't allow that.

Even if no one can beat Lesnar, Fedor and Overeem have exciting styles to match up well in the UFC. SF is not the place to be imo, specifically because they seem to rent fighters, instead of having a big rooster like other companies.

Last edited 10/16/10 12:05PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   10/16/10 11:57:06AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

He wants them to fight 3 times a year yet Brock, Shogun, Anderson, GSP, and Penn are all averaging 2 tops.

In recent memory, I remember the following...

Brock (year off due to sickness - fought 3 times in '08 and once in '09 before getting sick)

Shogun (has fought injuries since coming to the UFC - still fought 3 times in '09)

Anderson (has fought twice and likely would have fought for a 3rd time had he not needed to recover from the supposed injured ribs he had during the Sonnen fight - fought 3 times in '08 and then twice in '09 and, again, would likely have fought a 3rd time in '10)

Penn (3rd fight in 2010 will be against Hughes in November - fought 3 times in '09)

GSP (coaching TUF so we don't really know how many times he would have fought in 2010)

In all actuality, GSP is the only fighter of those you mentioned who usually only fights twice per year.

Last edited 10/16/10 12:05PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   10/16/10 12:04:56PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,737-1,519
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Extra curricular activities can easily be controlled. Injuries, debilitating illnesses, etc...not so much. Fighters will never be able to adhere to a perfect schedule, but they are at the very least expected to be available to fight when they're healthy.

Post #5   10/16/10 12:11:40PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by seanfu

Extra curricular activities can easily be controlled. Injuries, debilitating illnesses, etc...not so much. Fighters will never be able to adhere to a perfect schedule, but they are at the very least expected to be available to fight when they're healthy.

I know, but the last few tears have been pretty bad with injuries. That's all. You can controll extra curriculars all you want and GSP will still have fought once in 12 months because of the Alves fight groin injury and Brock will still have gotten sick.

Makes no difference imo. I was just thinking it hypocritical when th champs wont (can't even) fight that much. So how would anyone be expected to?

Post #6   10/16/10 3:35:12PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,737-1,519
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by seanfu

I know, but the last few tears have been pretty bad with injuries. That's all. You can controll extra curriculars all you want and GSP will still have fought once in 12 months because of the Alves fight groin injury and Brock will still have gotten sick.

Makes no difference imo. I was just thinking it hypocritical when th champs wont (can't even) fight that much. So how would anyone be expected to?

You answered your own question. Seeing how hard it is to stay healthy at the top level in the sport, a fighter doesn't need other distractions that occupy literally months of their time throughout the year. Not to mention, emfleek pointed out that your statement wasn't really all that true to begin with...so it's not really hypocrisy regardless of the spin you put on it.

Post #7   10/16/10 4:21:48PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by seanfu

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by seanfu

You answered your own question. Seeing how hard it is to stay healthy at the top level in the sport, a fighter doesn't need other distractions that occupy literally months of their time throughout the year. Not to mention, emfleek pointed out that your statement wasn't really all that true to begin with...so it's not really hypocrisy regardless of the spin you put on it.

I misunderstood. I just heard 3 a year and thought if the UFC's champs fought that much I'd be a much happier person.

Post #8   10/16/10 9:25:01PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,384-1,280
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ufc doesn't need fedor

Post #9   10/17/10 12:33:52AM   

Coolhand37

MMA Regular

Coolhand37 Avatar

Career:1,335-1,381
Camp: Brazilian Beatdown
Chips:
I feel that Fedor would be a good aquisition for the UFC, he honestly floored Werdum flat then got careless and made a mistake. We as unbiased fans have had to respect Fedor as the greatest and as the true heavyweight champion, as much as I hate to say it despite all the bs and all the politics, Fabricio werdum is now the man. when he comes back, and who he chooses to fight will be the true mma heavyweight question.
He is the injured champ of the world despite the politics of the whole thing. Brock should want to fight fabricio when he gets healthy and fedor should too.
The money and politics are great but Fabricio is the champion so i hope he hurries up and gets well. So we can watch him defend the true title of the world. the title without money without politics, its the honored title of fighters and he earned it.
After saying that I hope Fedor's beats him the next time. For pride's sake Brock should come after him too. He is the only fighter to beat both emmelianenko brothers and his record is just a shade better than Roy Nelson's and he is way underrated.
Fabricio is the HeavyChamp of the
World and thats just the way it is. So come beat him.

Post #10   10/17/10 3:42:22AM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by Coolhand37

I feel that Fedor would be a good aquisition for the UFC, he honestly floored Werdum flat then got careless and made a mistake. We as unbiased fans have had to respect Fedor as the greatest and as the true heavyweight champion, as much as I hate to say it despite all the bs and all the politics, Fabricio werdum is now the man. when he comes back, and who he chooses to fight will be the true mma heavyweight question.
He is the injured champ of the world despite the politics of the whole thing. Brock should want to fight fabricio when he gets healthy and fedor should too.
The money and politics are great but Fabricio is the champion so i hope he hurries up and gets well. So we can watch him defend the true title of the world. the title without money without politics, its the honored title of fighters and he earned it.
After saying that I hope Fedor's beats him the next time. For pride's sake Brock should come after him too. He is the only fighter to beat both emmelianenko brothers and his record is just a shade better than Roy Nelson's and he is way underrated.
Fabricio is the HeavyChamp of the
World and thats just the way it is. So come beat him.

Correct me if am wrong but is Brock not the Heavy Weight champion of the world(UFC)?.Is Overeem not the Heavy Weight champion of the world(SF) a think if you asked either of them who they wud want to fight a wud put money on both them saying Fedor or each other rather than Werdum.Werdum is not even top 10 imo.

Post #11   10/17/10 5:45:18AM   

Coolhand37

MMA Regular

Coolhand37 Avatar

Career:1,335-1,381
Camp: Brazilian Beatdown
Chips:
Fedor was rated by most non biased non prejudice fight fans and sherdog as well as many other mma sites as the best pound
for pound fighter in the world. He was considered the best heavyweight period. He was considered undefeated, his only loss coming by an illegal elbow, I saw that fight and they should not have awarded that fighter the bout on an illegal blow.
That being said Fabricio has already beaten Overeem and that bout was hardly competitive. The fact that Strikeforce considered Overeem as its champion instead of Fedor is a travesty.
Fabricio beat the true champion so must be priveleged to carry that mantle.
I am not even remotely liking Fabrico I am a true Lesnar fan, but im not going to be prejudice and deny that Fabricio deserves his props and his respect, his record is 15-4 which is respectable. He is the only fighter in history to beat both emmelienenko brothers. he was stopped by Dos Santos and lost two decisons I think and maybe was stopped one other time. his 15-4 record is better than alot of heavyweights out there.
That being said I'm so appreciative for your opinion and appreciate your insight.
I ofcourse think Lesnar could beat all of them. but I consider Fabricio the be the man now. and thats coming from a redneck!!!!
I want Fedor to beat him in the rematch Fedor got caught up in his own game and hes got to see it through before he fights Lesnar. Lesnar has enough problems and Overeem declined to fight Fedor and has dodged him several times.
Fabricio is ther man now cuz he beat the undeafeated Russian now he must be laid to rest lol!

Post #12   10/17/10 3:46:22PM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:

Posted by Coolhand37

Fedor was rated by most non biased non prejudice fight fans and sherdog as well as many other mma sites as the best pound
for pound fighter in the world. He was considered the best heavyweight period. He was considered undefeated, his only loss coming by an illegal elbow, I saw that fight and they should not have awarded that fighter the bout on an illegal blow.
That being said Fabricio has already beaten Overeem and that bout was hardly competitive. The fact that Strikeforce considered Overeem as its champion instead of Fedor is a travesty.
Fabricio beat the true champion so must be priveleged to carry that mantle.
I am not even remotely liking Fabrico I am a true Lesnar fan, but im not going to be prejudice and deny that Fabricio deserves his props and his respect, his record is 15-4 which is respectable. He is the only fighter in history to beat both emmelienenko brothers. he was stopped by Dos Santos and lost two decisons I think and maybe was stopped one other time. his 15-4 record is better than alot of heavyweights out there.
That being said I'm so appreciative for your opinion and appreciate your insight.
I ofcourse think Lesnar could beat all of them. but I consider Fabricio the be the man now. and thats coming from a redneck!!!!
I want Fedor to beat him in the rematch Fedor got caught up in his own game and hes got to see it through before he fights Lesnar. Lesnar has enough problems and Overeem declined to fight Fedor and has dodged him several times.
Fabricio is ther man now cuz he beat the undeafeated Russian now he must be laid to rest lol!

Yeah a see where your coming from.

Post #13   10/24/10 4:26:19AM