Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cheick Kongo: 50 percent of MMA fighters take steroids

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

babalu46

In Full Mount

babalu46 Avatar

Career:986-613
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by TheCatFather

Steroids is a part of all sports no matter what and with the tough training day in and day out an MMA fighter goes through, how else can you recover in minimal time. Listen, at 50 dollars a PPV, somebody needs to be doping up I want to see a fight!

I genuinely don't know what to say to this

But in regards to Kongo yeah he is ripped but he's not huge in reality. I know it sounds funny but if you look at todays weigh ins he was 228. There's people cutting weight for 265 and personally i do think Kongo's physique is down to hard work and genes. Although saying all this i wouldn't be surprised to hear he is on them, not because of his physique but because it's rife in sport in general.

Post #16   10/15/10 3:28:54PM   

AfroSamuraiTHEBEAST

MMA Regular

AfroSamuraiTHEBEAST Avatar

Career:38-18
Chips:
Its sad really. Thats why most of my favorite fighters come from AKA because they believe in hard work. I dont remember hearing about any of them getting caught. Plus guys like Fitch, Kos, and Cain look natural.

Guys like GSP, Badar, Denis Siver, and Overeem make me wonder. I wonder if nobody was on steroids how different the rankings would look. My biggest prime example is tim sylvia. He was a monster on steroids with exciting figts and finishes but after he got caught he became dull and now is struggling to ven stay in the top 15.

Post #17   10/15/10 3:32:37PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Pookie

Supplements, steroids, **** that enhances your performance. Every fighter is on them. Some are legal and some aren't, and sometimes fighters find out that a supplement they're taking is in fact illegal.

All of its the same, and every fighter is on something.

I'm not on roids, I'm just on 20 - 30 supplements for healing, recoup, explosiveness, strength, speed, cardio. It's a joke. If guys didn't take a huge number of different supplements they wouldnt be able to train anywhere near the necessarry level.

Roids are just illegal. that's the difference.
They are far more effective and **** with your hormones, thats all. A lot of supplements endanger athletes long term healthwise as much as roids do to 95 percent of people. Most supplements arent even approved for use anymore if im not mistaken.

The difference is legality.

The difference is legality, i agree. I just also assert that Steroids do the same things that Supplements do. Healing, Recoup, Explosiveness, strength, speed, cardio.
I would say that the only real difference is legality, and because of that the whole issue seems ridiculous when everybody takes supplements in the first place.

Everyone's using whatever they can to get an edge on their opponent. So when a fighter comes out and basically says everyone's on steroids. Whats the point in even having steroids illegal, when you can monitor it through health commisions and keep it a fair playing field more closely then just letting 50 percent of the fighters slip through the cracks unseen. Isnt the whole point of its illegality the fact that its unfair?

Post #18   10/15/10 3:36:41PM   

CanadianCripplr

MMA Regular

CanadianCripplr Avatar

Career:1,388-777
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
I dont believe its against the rules to use doctor prescribed steroids to train, you just cant have them in your system when post fight testing happens. Im sure lots use them to help the recovery of training hard for 6 months and to help get the edge with training.
I think when you see a positive its because somehow they have screwed up the timing of their last dose. I train racehorses for a living and in recent years they have become illegal in horses due to all the exposure, but that water based anabolics will test clear at 30 days out, oil based 45 days.
Im not sure if that relates to humans the same, but it would be close.
Steroids used properly can be a good thing but abusing them is the real problem for health concerns.

Post #19   10/15/10 4:24:09PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I guess I could believe 50%. But there are a lot of estimates that are way to high (like Jackelope's IMO).

I also find it interesting that these statements always come from big dudes that I wouldn't be surprised to hear are juicing. I'm not making an accusations about Kongo, just saying that it would make sense for steroid users to justify their cheating by saying everyone does it.

Like was said above though, people are innocent until proven guilty.

LOL, I'm sorry to burst your bubble man but keep on believing that.

Pookie makes a great point. Why not just legalize them and test their levels so as to keep it honest and make sure they're taking them safely?

Anybody who wants to complain about fighter safety and say that's the reason they should be illegal should also be talking about pot smokers, cigarette smokers, alcohol users, etc. In moderation steroids aren't nearly as detrimental to your health as the government and athletic commissions would have you believe. Otherwise they wouldn't let doctors prescribe them. So if you want to raise that fighter safety flag then you need to get educated on the facts before you do.

I'm not saying it's right to do them. I'm just saying they're a fact. Don't be like the poor old housewife whose husband is out there banging away on his hot secretaries and she justifies it by saying he's working long hours. Time to wake up, lady.

Post #20   10/15/10 4:25:03PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by CanadianCripplr
I train racehorses for a living and in recent years they have become illegal in horses due to all the exposure, but that water based anabolics will test clear at 30 days out, oil based 45 days.

Im not sure if that relates to humans the same, but it would be close.
Steroids used properly can be a good thing but abusing them is the real problem for health concerns.

Humans can actually clear them out faster depending on how long they've been juicing for. How long do you cycle the horses for and what kind of anti-estrogen are you giving them? This is a good way to show fans how easy it is to get by IMO.

Post #21   10/15/10 4:27:39PM   

roadking95th

In Cael We Trust!

roadking95th Avatar

Career:1,351-714
Chips:
Being ripped isn't a sure tell of steriods. I believe most are taken so one can work out harder, longer, and recover/prevent injuries. Sonnen wasn't ripped. He looked the same.

What about laser eye surgery? Tommy John surgery? Wealth to aquire knowledge and training? These all provide unfair advantages. The best system is to have standard testing and approved doctors closely monitoring everything. Heck, most if not all, anti-aging drugs are steriods.

Post #22   10/15/10 8:30:48PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Pookie makes a great point. Why not just legalize them and test their levels so as to keep it honest and make sure they're taking them safely?

I am leaning toward this too. Personally, I am tired of hearing about who is using what and who might be using, etc. etc.

I really don't care what these guys do to their bodies in the long run, just as long as they are not hurting other people (outside other fighters of course) as a result.

Right now, the only thing I have against roid using is that they are illegal and therefore it is technically cheating.

Post #23   10/15/10 9:34:58PM   

jlock003

Standup Guy

jlock003 Avatar

Career:522-387
Camp: MAYHEM MONKEYS!!!!!!
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bjj1605

I guess I could believe 50%. But there are a lot of estimates that are way to high (like Jackelope's IMO).

I also find it interesting that these statements always come from big dudes that I wouldn't be surprised to hear are juicing. I'm not making an accusations about Kongo, just saying that it would make sense for steroid users to justify their cheating by saying everyone does it.

Anybody who wants to complain about fighter safety and say that's the reason they should be illegal should also be talking about pot smokers, cigarette smokers, alcohol users, etc. In moderation steroids aren't nearly as detrimental to your health as the government and athletic commissions would have you believe. Otherwise they wouldn't let doctors prescribe them. So if you want to raise that fighter safety flag then you need to get educated on the facts before you do.

I'm not saying it's right to do them. I'm just saying they're a fact. Don't be like the poor old housewife whose husband is out there banging away on his hot secretaries and she justifies it by saying he's working long hours. Time to wake up, lady.

Nicely put. I'm glad I read through the posts before jumping on and just repeating what everybody else has said. I'm all for making roids legal in professional athletics across theboard. Athletes constantly juice, and those who aren't juicing are on so many different suppliments that they have those old pill trays that you find in the psych ward to keep them organized. Monitor roid use, get the guys off of the thirty or fourty suppliments they are on that are undoubtedly killing their livers, and make the juice legal. I'm not a proponent of the idea that we "need" anabolics in order to get better knockouts or anything along those lines. In reality, if athletes were allowed to use PEDS at will without restriction then we would have issues with roid rage, and far more issues with injury and health risk. However, if the juice is regulated and the guys go through cycles the way they are designed to be taken then the athletes would heal more quickly and fight with less injury. I don't want to see more devistating knockouts, or anybody getting there head knocked off. I don't have a clue what the earlier poster was calling for when he asked for juice to be used so he could see a good fight...but I am a proponent for the legalization of steroids for the purpose of eliminating excess suppliments and working as a catalyst for the body repairing itself.

Post #24   10/15/10 9:52:01PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bjj1605

I'm not saying that no one does it or that it's extremely rare. I just think that 75%-90% is a high estimate. 50% is something I could believe. There are plenty of positive tests, and I'm sure that some people slip through the cracks. But as I've stated before on this forum I train with a lot of pro-fighters (some of whom I know very very well) and to my knowledge not one of them is juicing. Could it be that everyone in my gym does it (even my close friends) and I just don't know? Ya, I suppose. But I doubt it.

And I still think my point applies. People who are doing something wrong tend to think that everyone else is doing the same. Terrorists justify their actions by saying that countries like the US and Israel do the same thing, they just don't call it terrorism. Criminals (thieves murderers ect.) tend to say that everyone wants to do what they do or even that they do but don't get caught. My point is that if I did or had done steroids I'd probably be a lot more likely to believe that others were doing the same thing. It's basic psychology. It's a way for people to justify what they do, by telling themselves "It's alright, everyone else is doing it too."

And as far as legalization goes, I agree. I think that if you legalize steroids to a degree and have doctors monitor athletes intake of them, you could have a safer environment over all. Taking no supplements or steroids is going to lead to increase in injuries. Steroids (or even supplements) taken improperly can cause more problems than they solve. Having medical professionals handle the quantities makes sense.

But until that happens, steroids are still cheating. It still offers an unfair advantage over whatever percentage of the fighter population isn't on them. Because of that I favor tougher testing and tougher penalties. They need to test more and test harder. When fighters are found guilty they should have larger fines and longer suspensions. The bigger the penalty the worse the cost-benefit analysis becomes for these guys. At a certain point the risk of being caught outweighs any benefit you get from them.

Post #25   10/15/10 11:09:19PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by bjj1605

I'm not saying that no one does it or that it's extremely rare. I just think that 75%-90% is a high estimate. 50% is something I could believe. There are plenty of positive tests, and I'm sure that some people slip through the cracks. But as I've stated before on this forum I train with a lot of pro-fighters (some of whom I know very very well) and to my knowledge not one of them is juicing. Could it be that everyone in my gym does it (even my close friends) and I just don't know? Ya, I suppose. But I doubt it.

And I still think my point applies. People who are doing something wrong tend to think that everyone else is doing the same. Terrorists justify their actions by saying that countries like the US and Israel do the same thing, they just don't call it terrorism. Criminals (thieves murderers ect.) tend to say that everyone wants to do what they do or even that they do but don't get caught. My point is that if I did or had done steroids I'd probably be a lot more likely to believe that others were doing the same thing. It's basic psychology. It's a way for people to justify what they do, by telling themselves "It's alright, everyone else is doing it too."

And as far as legalization goes, I agree. I think that if you legalize steroids to a degree and have doctors monitor athletes intake of them, you could have a safer environment over all. Taking no supplements or steroids is going to lead to increase in injuries. Steroids (or even supplements) taken improperly can cause more problems than they solve. Having medical professionals handle the quantities makes sense.

But until that happens, steroids are still cheating. It still offers an unfair advantage over whatever percentage of the fighter population isn't on them. Because of that I favor tougher testing and tougher penalties. They need to test more and test harder. When fighters are found guilty they should have larger fines and longer suspensions. The bigger the penalty the worse the cost-benefit analysis becomes for these guys. At a certain point the risk of being caught outweighs any benefit you get from them.

You gotta remember that the roid tests come before the fight and I'm guessing when a fighter gets busted from using it's just because they cycled wrong. I think from my current knowledge that fighters can always do roids and test clean if cycling correctly.

Post #26   10/15/10 11:42:22PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Your points are well taken, and more than likely valid in some cases, but I would also like to add that the opposite applies just as much as what you said. Specifically- people who don't partake in crimes or morally reprehensible acts tend to judge harshly and also often try to turn a blind eye to their existence.

I say we meet in the middle at 60% ... LOL.

Post #27   10/16/10 1:46:02AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Your points are well taken, and more than likely valid in some cases, but I would also like to add that the opposite applies just as much as what you said. Specifically- people who don't partake in crimes or morally reprehensible acts tend to judge harshly and also often try to turn a blind eye to their existence.

I say we meet in the middle at 60% ... LOL.

Ok so it's settled then. It's officially a fact that 60% of fighters are roiding..lol

Post #28   10/16/10 12:35:00PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2