Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Cheick Kongo: 50 percent of MMA fighters take steroids

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
"50 percent [of MMA fighters take steroids], if not more.... What can I say, other than we need to stay away from all of that. It's not easy to put things into perspective, especially if you believe that you have a disadvantage from the get go. For some athletes, it's hard to hold up physically and mentally- the pressure, the obligation to stay on top - everything pushes you to take steroids. For me, PEDs aren't the solution. Taking PEDs jeopardizes your health and it's cheating. I am a fighter; I owe my victories to my hard work, my training, the fact that I push myself beyond the limit, the sacrifices I make to a life almost entirely dedicated to sports. Nothing else. Stay away from the needles. You can succeed without them."

LINK

Post #1   10/15/10 9:07:25AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Jackelope...I'm waiting for your response to this.

Post #2   10/15/10 9:08:27AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by gartface

LOL you know what I think already. It's just more confirmation. Wake up, people. 50% is generous.

Post #3   10/15/10 11:43:49AM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,759-1,532
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
In before an Overeem comment

Post #4   10/15/10 12:40:05PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:
If anyone would know, it's someone who has been in the business for a while. It's a sad reality, but I believe it's true.

Post #5   10/15/10 12:48:14PM   

theruler_

MMA Regular

theruler_ Avatar

Career:47-28
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by gartface

LOL you know what I think already. It's just more confirmation. Wake up, people. 50% is generous.

i agree. i would say at least 50% but maybe as many as 75%.

Post #6   10/15/10 1:35:20PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
Anyone else think it's funny that a fighter who looks like a bodybuilder is saying this?

I'm not accusing him of anything, but Kongo is frickin' cut.

Post #7   10/15/10 1:41:45PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

That's the sad thing. Guys that *are* cut, because they've done it the right way with hard work and discipline, are getting bad raps for those who are taking shortcuts. I don't know what category Kongo falls under, whether he's juiced or not, but I'm a firm believer of being innocent until proven guilty.

Last edited 10/15/10 1:45PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #8   10/15/10 1:44:09PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by RyanC

That's the sad thing. Guys that *are* cut, because they've done it the right way with hard work and discipline, are getting bad raps for those who are taking shortcuts. I don't know what category Kongo falls under, whether he's juiced or not, but I'm a firm believer of being innocent until proven guilty.

I whole heartedly agree with you. I just found it funny that one of the most ripped guys in MMA is throwing this out there.

Post #9   10/15/10 1:56:32PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:
Supplements, steroids, **** that enhances your performance. Every fighter is on them. Some are legal and some aren't, and sometimes fighters find out that a supplement they're taking is in fact illegal.

All of its the same, and every fighter is on something.

Post #10   10/15/10 2:02:29PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
It's a harsh reality, and until MMA organazations, put in mandatory regular PEDs tests (personaly I'd think monthly testing would be the best option) for all fighters, they will have handfulls of fighters with positive tests each year putting another black eye on MMA and fueling the fire for all MMA protesters. I'd like to think Kongo has gotten his physique natuarally (I'm a big fan, so maybe I'm bias), because he has maintained the same size for many years now. I think at times we let are minds get the best of us and try to justify why these fighters look the way they do and most everyday people you see don't. These guys spend Countless hours in the gym, remember the gym is their job, it's where they spend their day, while most people spend their day at work then hit the gym for a few hours afterwards. If you and I can gain mass in just the few hours we are their, why couldn't a person who spends 8+ hours a day become massively shredded? Thrown in a person who tells you when and what to eat, which will maximizes your bodies potential, then throw in Good genetics to top it off then the sky is the limit for the amount of muscle these guys could put on their frames. I do think there are many Fighters using these PED's, but IMO it's not as many as so me people are saying.

Post #11   10/15/10 2:36:24PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I guess I could believe 50%. But there are a lot of estimates that are way to high (like Jackelope's IMO).

I also find it interesting that these statements always come from big dudes that I wouldn't be surprised to hear are juicing. I'm not making an accusations about Kongo, just saying that it would make sense for steroid users to justify their cheating by saying everyone does it.

Like was said above though, people are innocent until proven guilty.

Post #12   10/15/10 2:40:37PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Supplements, steroids, **** that enhances your performance. Every fighter is on them. Some are legal and some aren't, and sometimes fighters find out that a supplement they're taking is in fact illegal.

All of its the same, and every fighter is on something.

I'm not on roids, I'm just on 20 - 30 supplements for healing, recoup, explosiveness, strength, speed, cardio. It's a joke. If guys didn't take a huge number of different supplements they wouldnt be able to train anywhere near the necessarry level.

Roids are just illegal. that's the difference.
They are far more effective and **** with your hormones, thats all. A lot of supplements endanger athletes long term healthwise as much as roids do to 95 percent of people. Most supplements arent even approved for use anymore if im not mistaken.

The difference is legality.

Post #13   10/15/10 2:42:32PM   

TheCatFather

Standup Guy

TheCatFather Avatar

Career:1,886-1,280
Camp: BedlamMMA
Chips:
Steroids is a part of all sports no matter what and with the tough training day in and day out an MMA fighter goes through, how else can you recover in minimal time. Listen, at 50 dollars a PPV, somebody needs to be doping up I want to see a fight!

Post #14   10/15/10 3:13:00PM   

Franklinfan47

Gettin Paper!

Franklinfan47 Avatar

Career:2,562-1,399
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by TheCatFather

Steroids is a part of all sports no matter what and with the tough training day in and day out an MMA fighter goes through, how else can you recover in minimal time. Listen, at 50 dollars a PPV, somebody needs to be doping up I want to see a fight!

Post #15   10/15/10 3:16:53PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2