Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

A question for those who know guns...

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Me and some nerd friends, anticipating the premiere of AMC's "The Walking Dead", were debating the merits of different sorts of firearms in the following circumstances:

- You're entering a building, facing an unknown number of adversaries at close quarters.
- Head shots are of vital importance; a body or limb hit is only useful insofar as it knocks the target off his feet or renders the limb mechanically useless.
- Your targets are implacable: They don't feel pain or fear, or suffer shock or blood loss.
- You could find yourself outnumbered, swarmed by targets.
- On the bright side, your targets aren't armed; they're trying to grapple with you and bite you. They don't even have knives or clubs.
- They're also pretty stupid and predictable, employing neither tactics nor teamwork other than the aforementioned swarm attack.

Most people were debating between a shotgun, for its stopping power and destructiveness, and an SMG, for better odds of a head shot and for engaging multiple targets in quick order. I was the only advocate for having a good pistol instead. Being able to keep my gun level with one hand while I use my other hand for something else (opening a door, holding a flashlight, checking a person for a pulse) sounds useful.

I've fired a long gun a handful of times (a hunting rifle, not a shotgun), and I don't know if I'd want to take one into tight quarters. Maybe there are short shotguns I'm not aware of. I also can't imagine firing one with one hand and, y'know, hitting anything besides the floor.

I've never fired an SMG of any kind, but I'm not convinced that the rate of fire actually makes it easier for an inexpert shooter to score a head-shot. I'd be more worried about running out of ammo and firing half of my burst into the ceiling.

Assume that availability isn't a concern. If you could get your mitts on whatever you wanted, as well as sufficient ammunition, what would you choose?

Post #1   10/11/10 12:21:57PM   

PABLOMAFIOSO

In Full Mount

PABLOMAFIOSO Avatar

Career:979-657
Chips:
I would have to go with the AA12. An automatic shotgun which is devastating at close range and also useful from a distance.
It is on C.O.D Modern Warfare 2 but is way better in real life (or fake zombie scenario).
Check out this vid to see some cool modifications which have vastly improved it. Note the green shells near the end. I would definitely be packin' those.
The AA12

Post #2   10/11/10 12:39:30PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Definitely a shotgun. Preferably with a flashlight attachment. Although I will say that the number one thing I'd be worried about with a shotgun is reload speed.

Post #3   10/11/10 2:46:47PM   

Wand_is_GOD

MMA Regular

Wand_is_GOD Avatar

Career:97-61
Chips:
C7A2 :D

Post #4   10/11/10 5:40:20PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Definitely a shotgun. Preferably with a flashlight attachment. Although I will say that the number one thing I'd be worried about with a shotgun is reload speed.

Given the circumstances I would go with the shotgun too. I figure, a pump action shotgun holds enough shots to a reasonably sized room with zombies. If I didn't have enough shots to clear a room of zombies I would be seriously rethinking going in there (or the building for that matter).

Post #5   10/11/10 5:42:56PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Mossberg 590 w/ the 16 inch barrel. The short barrel is ideal for clearing out always and moving around corners. Plus it holds 8 shells (though most can be modded anyhow) and it has sites.

Last edited 10/11/10 8:29PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   10/11/10 8:25:25PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:
Yeah, I was thinking one of the pistol-grip shotguns. I'd still need to use two hands, but it would be maneuverable, and the sheer power of a shotgun at close range means you could knock something down or back with a hit to the body.

Post #7   10/13/10 10:18:23AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Yeah, I was thinking one of the pistol-grip shotguns. I'd still need to use two hands, but it would be maneuverable, and the sheer power of a shotgun at close range means you could knock something down or back with a hit to the body.

I'd want a collapsible/foldable butt stock that way if I needed to I could extend it and throw a couple butt stroke attacks at the zombies

Post #8   10/13/10 10:40:40AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
Two Skorpions :)

But yeah, probably a shotgun.

Post #9   10/13/10 10:47:38AM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
shotguns?!?! never

UMP .45 is the beast

edit or maybe an AK-74

Last edited 10/14/10 2:18AM server time by mkiv9secsupra

Post #10   10/14/10 2:06:16AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
If we're taking zombies, I'd go with a Springfield XD in 9mm and get some really low-power rounds. It hold hold 17 rounds per magazine, and with a low-presssure round, you could make head shots all day with little recoil.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #11   11/9/10 2:27:12PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

[...]with a low-presssure round, you could make head shots all day with little recoil.

Yeah, that sounds good.

After watching the second episode of "The Walking Dead", I'm also thinking that something with a sound suppressor might be in order too. For one, you don't want to attract every bad guy for miles around. Second, if you're in tight quarters, you might not want to blow your own eardrums through either side of your head (during the scene where they scout out the sewer I was thinking, "crap, don't go shooting anything while you're in there"). You wouldn't want to wear ear protection, for obvious reasons.

Post #12   11/9/10 3:12:13PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

edit or maybe an AK-74

Yeah, see, aren't these in the "really friggin' loud" category? Like whatsername said, 'you just rang the dinner bell.'

Post #13   11/9/10 3:16:38PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Chips:
Ah, here's 15 or 16 rounds from a Springfield XD 9mm with a suppressor. It's loud, but if you were inside, you might not be heard from too far away.

And some Chow Yun Fat action! (I wonder if she hit anything..?)

Last edited 11/9/10 3:25PM server time by AchillesHeel

Post #14   11/9/10 3:23:33PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Svartorm

[...]with a low-presssure round, you could make head shots all day with little recoil.

Yeah, that sounds good.

After watching the second episode of "The Walking Dead", I'm also thinking that something with a sound suppressor might be in order too. For one, you don't want to attract every bad guy for miles around. Second, if you're in tight quarters, you might not want to blow your own eardrums through either side of your head (during the scene where they scout out the sewer I was thinking, "crap, don't go shooting anything while you're in there"). You wouldn't want to wear ear protection, for obvious reasons.

At a certain point suppressors won't be effective in some place like a sewer. It's only gonna lower it to around 80 decibels or so, which in a confined space, will resonate rather loudly. This is just my understanding of suppressors. I've never had the need to purchase one and I hear that unless you intend on keeping it for life it has a horrible resale value. So, I've only really seen people fire suppressed weapons and I can't really say that I believe it would be all THAT helpful in a closed quarter environment like a sewer.

Post #15   11/9/10 3:27:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2