Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ryan Bader vs. Jon Jones Targeted For UFC 127

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
should be interesting this is the first fight Jon Jones will have where he may be tested, I'm split on this fight.

Post #16   10/2/10 11:16:35PM   

billfold9

MMA Regular

billfold9 Avatar

Career:928-645
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Bones/Bader winner vs Rampage/Machida winner 4 title shot!!

Post #17   10/3/10 12:07:08AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by SamPan

I would be surprised if Bader made it out of Rd 1. Even though he's young, I think Jones would beat anyone in the LHW division.

Well said....totally agree. It's only a matter of time until Bones is crowned 205 Champ.

Post #18   10/3/10 12:43:40AM   

wrona666

In Full Mount

wrona666 Avatar

Career:1,102-674
Chips:
I think that the UFC thought that Lil Nog would win that fight and hoped to see LIL Nog and Jones which is a much better fight IMO, but Bader took Nog out so there you go...........

Post #19   10/3/10 1:09:34AM   

FastKnockout

THE RUTHLESS ONE

FastKnockout Avatar

Career:1,647-919
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
DAMN! I was hoping this fight wouldn't happen any time soon. Bader and Jones are my 2nd and 3rd favorites, and I don't want to see either of them lose at this point in their careers.

If I had to choose, I'll be pulling for Bader, but I honestly think Bones will win in devastating fasion.

Post #20   10/3/10 1:24:56AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Bader is way strong early on but he's so big. By the mid second he'll be too tired to avoid Jones punches.

Post #21   10/3/10 3:21:32AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
bader wont go for the takedown, he'll get triangle choked from 3 states over

Post #22   10/3/10 5:30:50AM   

Jiu_Boxu

Learning to Sprawl

Jiu_Boxu Avatar

Career:202-144
Camp: Lux MMA
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Jones will blow through him. This is a fun fight to have but dumb from a business perspective.

Both guys are relatively untested (compared to former champs and vets) so one beating the other doesn't prove much. In other words, one or the other might not be as good as we think. Also, you're going to derail one of your rising stars.

Forrest Griffin or Rampage would be a better match-up for either.

On the flip though... if they gave either of them a gatekeeper fight they'd still be looking towards this match-up. Rampage is still a contender in his own right, so despite HOW GOOD Jones & Bader are the fight is slightly beneath him since they're on the climb...

Griffin would probably get dominated in a testing fashion, which is great in terms of experience for either of 'em but still leaves them where they are now... verging contenders.

Machida beats Page, Shogun beats Rashad then maybe Jones/Bader take on Lyoto for #1 contender... anyone else is a light pretender to the belt IMO and with the division so stacked at the top end we don't need ballast fights.

Bader takes it in heart-breaking fashion too... WAR SUN DOGS!!!

Post #23   10/3/10 6:48:22AM   

brutalbones

MMA Regular

brutalbones Avatar

Career:1,299-861
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:

Posted by postman

Stupid fight Bader has nothing for Jones. Dumb to derail a prospect to push another.

This.

Post #24   10/3/10 8:17:00AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Shogun still has to heal and defend his title vs Rashad next year. I think this is a good fight eventhough its 2 prospects, because there is a lot of time to kill for Shogun to get back. Rampage- machida winner could go against Jones -Bader winner/ It would be even better to have it reversed Machida vs Jones, Bader vs Rampage, but Machida fight is scheduled already.

Jones will destroy Bader in my opinion. Jones is much different now than he was vs Bonnar. Jones is the real deal. It may be harder to take bader down, but Jones has such a long reach, and no one can defend those throws (so far).

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Last edited 10/3/10 2:17PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #25   10/3/10 2:13:42PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,842-1,052
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
This is way too long for Jones to be on the shelf. No reason to make him sit for this long just to get the match with Bader.

Post #26   10/3/10 2:32:16PM   

Tyzzler

MMA Regular

Tyzzler Avatar

Career:291-233
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

If so many of you hate this fight but also think Jones wins easily what sense does it make to baby Bader so he can keep his shiny record?

This

Bader needs to be given a fight that he can't just depend solely on his wrestling for. Yes he has a heavy right hand but that probably fits in about 5% of his gameplan going into a fight.

Post #27   10/3/10 9:14:44PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Both guys are relatively untested (compared to former champs and vets) so one beating the other doesn't prove much. In other words, one or the other might not be as good as we think. Also, you're going to derail one of your rising stars.

It didn't happen with Maynard and Edgar, now they are fighting for the title.

I think it is a fight that needs to happen in a division where the number one contender is not really set in stone.

Post #28   10/3/10 10:35:26PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Jiu_Boxu

Posted by bjj1605

Jones will blow through him. This is a fun fight to have but dumb from a business perspective.

On the flip though... if they gave either of them a gatekeeper fight they'd still be looking towards this match-up. Rampage is still a contender in his own right, so despite HOW GOOD Jones & Bader are the fight is slightly beneath him since they're on the climb...

Griffin would probably get dominated in a testing fashion, which is great in terms of experience for either of 'em but still leaves them where they are now... verging contenders.

Machida beats Page, Shogun beats Rashad then maybe Jones/Bader take on Lyoto for #1 contender... anyone else is a light pretender to the belt IMO and with the division so stacked at the top end we don't need ballast fights.

I'm really not sure where you're coming from. Rampage is a proven vet and former champ. A win over him would be a much bigger deal than a win over Bader or Jones. They may be "on the climb" but Rampage has already climbed the mountain and set up camp.

Posted by wrona666 I think that the UFC thought that Lil Nog would win that fight and hoped to see LIL Nog and Jones which is a much better fight IMO, but Bader took Nog out so there you go...........

Bader eeked out a decision, probably a bad decision, I think it's an overstatement to say he "took Nog out."

I do agree though that Nog would have been a much better fight for Jon Jones.

Post #29   10/4/10 2:19:55AM   

Jiu_Boxu

Learning to Sprawl

Jiu_Boxu Avatar

Career:202-144
Camp: Lux MMA
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by Jiu_Boxu

Posted by bjj1605

I'm really not sure where you're coming from. Rampage is a proven vet and former champ. A win over him would be a much bigger deal than a win over Bader or Jones. They may be "on the climb" but Rampage has already climbed the mountain and set up camp.

You misinterpreted. People are saying this is a wasted fight for Jones & it halts Bader dead, but I still don't see any other feasible fights for them... to match-up with either of them is below Rampage because like you say he's former champ and massively established fighter, and like I said Jones & Bader are still on the climb

Post #30   10/6/10 8:12:23AM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2