Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Chinese import Tiequan Zhang encouraged by pressure of representing a nation

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
BROOMFIELD, Colo. – Any time a fighter enters the cage of the WEC or UFC for the first time, nerves are certain to factor into the combatant's performance.

Fighting on the biggest stage in the world, no one wants to let himself down, much less his fans, coaches or training partners.

But lightweight Tiequan Zhang (12-0 MMA, 1-0 WEC) had a few more people on his mind when he stepped in the cage for his WEC debut at Thursday's WEC 51 event – like the 1.3 billion citizens of his native China.

LINK

Post #1   10/1/10 10:46:49AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
BlueSkies and I had a discussion on this the other day, and I must say I was glad to see him succeed last night. That's huge for China, and hopefully will result in many more imports coming over.

Post #2   10/1/10 11:01:16AM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
His frame may ultimately prove more suitable for the 145-pound division, and his ability to defend against top-level wrestling has yet to be seen.

My thoughts exactly. Any of those other LW's would have put up a better fight IMO. Garza looked lost.

Post #3   10/1/10 2:37:16PM