Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Frankie Edgar defends title against Gray Maynard at UFC 125

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
An old matchup becomes new again, but this time a UFC title is on the line.

As was previously expected, UFC lightweight champion Frankie Edgar (13-1 MMA, 8-1 UFC) will defend his title against undefeated challenger Gray Maynard (10-0 MMA, 8-0 UFC) at UFC 125.

While not officially announced by the organization, UFC 125 is expected to take place Jan. 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas and air on pay-per-view.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) confirmed that verbal agreements are in place for the contest, which was first reported by MMAFighting.com.

LINK

Post #1   9/29/10 4:45:12PM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
Frankie will make this fight exciting. Got to go with Edgar on this one. He should have a little more momentum coming in having just beat up ,arguably ,the best lightweight in the world twice.

Post #2   9/29/10 6:26:08PM   

Meanrighthand88

Learning to Sprawl

Meanrighthand88 Avatar

Career:218-118
Chips:
Not to be a dick, but, that's a misleading title for this article. "Defends" is in the past tense, "will defend title" would have been a better choice of words. Not to be an English teacher, but, this is simple stuff that should help the website out.

If I'm looking at this site for the first time, I'm thinking that Edgar had already beat Maynard for the title defense.

Post #3   9/29/10 11:42:00PM   

DANZANRYUGUY

MMA Regular

DANZANRYUGUY Avatar

Career:1,468-1,123
Camp: Mountain Storm Combat Club
Chips:
this fight will be diffrenent than the 1st one. Frankie is gonna turn it up and KO Maynard. He wants revenge for his only loss. Maynards gonna have a hard time taking him down this time. I actually get tired watching Edgar fight, he just never stops moving. He attacks then hes out of range but before his opponent can even think about what just happened, he's back in thier face again.

Post #4   9/30/10 4:31:21AM   

Adrenaline

MMA Sensei

Adrenaline Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by Meanrighthand88

Not to be a dick, but, that's a misleading title for this article. "Defends" is in the past tense, "will defend title" would have been a better choice of words. Not to be an English teacher, but, this is simple stuff that should help the website out.

If I'm looking at this site for the first time, I'm thinking that Edgar had already beat Maynard for the title defense.

Made perfect sense to me because:

1) Well....it just does. It may not use the proper tense of the verb but it is fairly obvious what the headline means. Besides, it's MMA Junkies headline, Emfleek was just nice enough to share it with us.

2). The title clearly says "at UFC 125" . A little common sense would tell you that this fight has not happened being that we just had UFC 119.

Post #5   9/30/10 6:29:29AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Meanrighthand88

Defends is present tense, along with "is defending" being the present progressive. Defended would be the past tense, with "will defend" as the future tense.

In news, whether it's writing or speaking, you're always taught to use the present tense as much as possible. It gives the news a sense of urgency. I understand where you are coming from, but if you look at a lot of headlines, they're written in this fashion.

That being said, Maynard dominates him in the same fashion as the first fight.

Post #6   9/30/10 9:46:24AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
I hope this isn't the main event they expect people to pay too much money for.

Post #7   9/30/10 11:30:57AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,339-1,246
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I guess I should be happy that its a title fight
Since last two trips to vegas wEre non title fights

I do expect a silva vs belfort main event

I am not a fan of either maynard or edgar to be honest
I do expect and will cheer for lil jersey boy to win
The kid should been a featherweight fighter but he has the heart
And guts of a champ

Post #8   9/30/10 12:35:32PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:
This fight isnt at mile-high stadium, frankie's not going to gas out this time. I expect this to look nothing like the first fight, even if maynard wins.

Post #9   9/30/10 2:06:14PM   

jjeans

Emma Watson Picture Incoming

jjeans Avatar

Career:1,126-675
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
this is going to need a solid undercard if this is maineventing if they want to sell...

Thiago Silva nuthugger.

Admin of MMA Memes of Facebook. A Roundtable Analyst on The MMA Podcast. Journalist for MMA Mental.

Dirty Blue #DoItForWatson

Post #10   10/1/10 11:39:03AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

This fight isnt at mile-high stadium, frankie's not going to gas out this time. I expect this to look nothing like the first fight, even if maynard wins.

The only thing I can think about is, how much will strength play a role?

Post #11   10/1/10 3:30:17PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Posted by Pookie

The only thing I can think about is, how much will strength play a role?

It could play a huge role if Frankie continually collapses the pocket against Maynard again like the first fight. Edgar used his hands to throw combo's and get up close. But i would assume that he would actually have the exact opposite gameplan now that he knows How threatening Maynard actually is up close.

The first Edgar v. Maynard fight is basically the fight where Maynard emerged as a threat, i doubt Edgar knew to be wary of Maynard's take-downs, expecially considering Edgar hadn't fought someone who could outwrestle him yet.

In this fight id expect Frankie to use his reach, footwork, and speed advantages to keep distance from gray to compliment his takedown defense in shutting Maynards game down.

Post #12   10/1/10 4:06:44PM   

billfold9

MMA Regular

billfold9 Avatar

Career:935-650
Camp: TKO
Chips:
Edgar by TKO in 5th

Post #13   10/3/10 12:20:04AM