Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WEC Prospect Alert: Is the 'Mongolian Wolf' the Next 'Korean Zombie'?

Print  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
On Thursday, Zhang Tie Quan will become the first fighter from mainland China to compete in the WEC. The China Top Team featherweight product will close out the preliminary portion of WEC 51 against Pablo Garza — who just made a brief appearance on TUF 12 as a lightweight hopeful — after being originally scheduled to face Alex Karalexis (out, injury) and then Jason Reinhardt (out, bad vision). It's a big moment for Chinese MMA, as well as for Zuffa, which has been angling toward expansion in Asia, but is generally short on Asian rising stars in its promotions. With "The Mongolian Wolf," they couldn't have picked up a better prospect.

Link

Post #1   9/29/10 8:02:05AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:
This is very interesting. I actually had no idea the guy was from China until I went to go fill out my secondary league card. This could be huge for Zuffa. This could create an exodus of Chinese martial artists to the states to compete, and vice versa create a big market for the UFC and WEC over in China.

Just look back to what Yao Ming being drafted by the Rockets did to that country. They became, and still are, crazy about NBA basketball. At first it was nothing but Yao Ming jerseys, but quickly Kobe Bryant became the top jersey seller in China.

When one of their own is exceptional at something, they latch onto it, or at least they did with the NBA. For a country that is so big and important to martial arts in general, it would be hard not to see them getting amped for the Mongolion Wolf and eventually MMA.

Post #2   9/29/10 8:31:36AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:
It certainly appears that this could be something huge for China. You're absolutely right on all points, gartface, the Chinese do latch on (not in a bad way) to things that get them excited when it comes to sports.

This can only be a good thing for MMA. (So long as he delivers...to an extent).

Post #3   9/29/10 8:47:54AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

It certainly appears that this could be something huge for China. You're absolutely right on all points, gartface, the Chinese do latch on (not in a bad way) to things that get them excited when it comes to sports.

I think even if he doesn't do so great, this still does wonders for the exposure in his country. So many are going to be tuned in(assuming they have access to it) and bear witness to great fighters like Aldo, Gamburyan, Cerrone, and Varner. Not to mention a great fight between Hominick and Leonard Garcia, and Miguel Torres is on the card!

This is the absolutely perfect card for them to watch, they'll be treated to some of the more exciting fighters in today's MMA.

Post #4   9/29/10 8:59:47AM   

tallica62

MMA Sensei

tallica62 Avatar

Career:2,063-1,277
Chips:
It seems most Asian fighters have an unexciting style of fighting and end up with decisions a lot... nice to see this guy with tons of actual finishes

Post #5   9/29/10 9:03:07AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:
I'd say nearly every fight I've seen in the WEC with Asian fighters, I have found exciting. The fight between Yoshiro Maeda and Miguel Torres, Jung and Garcia, Mizugaki and Torres, etc. They usually never say die, much like the Goonies, and that usually makes the fight exciting, at least to me anyway.

Post #6   9/29/10 9:05:15AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

I think even if he doesn't do so great, this still does wonders for the exposure in his country. So many are going to be tuned in(assuming they have access to it) and bear witness to great fighters like Aldo, Gamburyan, Cerrone, and Varner. Not to mention a great fight between Hominick and Leonard Garcia, and Miguel Torres is on the card!

This is the absolutely perfect card for them to watch, they'll be treated to some of the more exciting fighters in today's MMA.

True, but success is important within that culture. They're going to want to at least walk away from this feeling a sense of pride. Yao Ming wasn't the first Chinese basketball player.

Wang Zhizhi was. However, Yao had the greatest amount of success and, therefore, gave the Chinese something to be proud of.

Post #7   9/29/10 9:05:42AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

True, but success is important within that culture. They're going to want to at least walk away from this feeling a sense of pride. Yao Ming wasn't the first Chinese basketball player.

Wang Zhizhi was. However, Yao had the greatest amount of success and, therefore, gave the Chinese something to be proud of.

Completely agree. They are a very proud people, and I think with this being their first real crack at top level MMA, that might be enough pride to take away from the fight.

I would liken the guy more to Yao, or even Yi, because he's looking like a highly touted prospect. Wang Zhizhi was a bottom of the barrel role player when he came in, and played mostly during garbage time. He later became a niche player when he became a three point shooting big man.

This guy, or at least his record, leads me to believe that he's destined for at least some sort of success. I for one, am excited to watch him fight, hopefully it will get aired.

Post #8   9/29/10 9:12:52AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Completely agree. They are a very proud people, and I think with this being their first real crack at top level MMA, that might be enough pride to take away from the fight.

I would liken the guy more to Yao, or even Yi, because he's looking like a highly touted prospect. Wang Zhizhi was a bottom of the barrel role player when he came in, and played mostly during garbage time. He later became a niche player when he became a three point shooting big man.

This guy, or at least his record, leads me to believe that he's destined for at least some sort of success. I for one, am excited to watch him fight, hopefully it will get aired.

Maybe Yi, but he's only averaged around 10 PPG per season since he's been in the league. Yao was the first SUCCESS in China. Once he became big, the rest of the interest followed.

If Quan gets KO'd or subbed early, it won't be a pleasant showing for the Chinese, who expect a great deal from their athletes.

On paper, he has the skills, but as someone whose opinion I respect on MMA, surely you would agree that paper and performance differ more often than not.

Post #9   9/29/10 9:21:29AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Posted by gartface

Maybe Yi, but he's only averaged around 10 PPG per season since he's been in the league. Yao was the first SUCCESS in China. Once he became big, the rest of the interest followed.

If Quan gets KO'd or subbed early, it won't be a pleasant showing for the Chinese, who expect a great deal from their athletes.

On paper, he has the skills, but as someone whose opinion I respect on MMA, surely you would agree that paper and performance differ more often than not.

Yeah, he's more like Yi in the sense it's mostly on paper at this point, as you said. The Chinese do demand a lot from their people, and I don't think they'll be disappointed tomorrow night (thanks Fleek).

But you're right, performance and paper differ. Here's to hoping he delivers and we see more Chinese/Taiwanese mixed martial artists in the states! Because with over a billion people, and their martial arts history, they're bound to have some bad asses there.

Post #10   9/29/10 9:41:04AM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gartface

Yeah, he's more like Yi in the sense it's mostly on paper at this point, as you said. The Chinese do demand a lot from their people, and I don't think they'll be disappointed tomorrow night (thanks Fleek).

But you're right, performance and paper differ. Here's to hoping he delivers and we see more Chinese/Taiwanese mixed martial artists in the states! Because with over a billion people, and their martial arts history, they're bound to have some bad asses there.

Agreed. Let's hope he delivers and gets the Asian market amped up. Chinese-Taipei and People's Republic of China are two great markets to corner if it works out that way.

Post #11   9/29/10 9:54:59AM