Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sonnen Positive for PEDs at UFC 117

Print  
  Page 3 of 5     1     2     3     4     5  
Posted By Message

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Am I the only person that's curious as to why it took so long for this to come to light? Normally we find out about these things WAY earlier. I mean, this fight was almost 40 days ago. Even full work-ups don't take that long.

Post #31   9/19/10 5:03:23PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by DCRage

Posted by kopower

Posted by warglory

I also want to make mention that this is the CSAC, which is a tarnished organization within itself when dealing with positive drug tests.

Agreed. I'm not jumping to any conclusions yet. Seems like these problems always pop up in California. Didn't Sherk have the same problem with the CSAC?

Yes, but ultimately he failed to get it overturned.

As for Sonnen...I think all I hear now are chirping crickets.

LOL, yeah... he's gonna get REAAAALLLL quiet I'm willing to bet. What's crazy is how badly this will affect his political aspirations, too. Stupid mistake on his part. Big time.

He actually already ruined his political career because of a lawsuit/court case with undisclosed details.

Post #32   9/19/10 5:10:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

ROFL @ ppl who try to discredit drug tests from CSAC. They catch more ppl than other states and somehow it makes them controversial? Sean Sherk wasn't controversial he's just one of the few **cough**RogerClemens**cough** that refused to admit it after being caught cheating thinking it somehow makes him more believable than the tests. As much as I find it unfortunate when anyone tests positive because it's bad for the sport, I feel like the vast majority of all pro athletes are on things that are borderline at best or "it'll be the next thing banned but it's ok til then" or straight up juice. Those that are caught need to be dealt w/ severely to try to curb it as much as possible. Sure there are going to be false positives but I doubt the percentage of them comes anywhere close to the number of ppl who cycle off for tests. Ppl bitch about how long the fighters take off and compare it to similar combat sports such as boxing/kickboxing where much more active schedules are kept (esp in countries that don't test), don't they realize that it isn't just training that needs to be cycled? Of course it's a problem in fighting and to bitch about CSAC and try to discredit the testing rather than attacking the problem itself and requiring extremely regular testing for all contracted fighters is just putting your head in the sand. I think anyone under contract should face tests once a month plus randomly and anyone who isn't under a contract but is licensed should either be tested the same or the same when awaiting a scheduled fight and randomly when not.

took the words right out of my mouth

Post #33   9/19/10 5:12:00PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

ROFL @ ppl who try to discredit drug tests from CSAC. They catch more ppl than other states and somehow it makes them controversial? Sean Sherk wasn't controversial he's just one of the few **cough**RogerClemens**cough** that refused to admit it after being caught cheating thinking it somehow makes him more believable than the tests. As much as I find it unfortunate when anyone tests positive because it's bad for the sport, I feel like the vast majority of all pro athletes are on things that are borderline at best or "it'll be the next thing banned but it's ok til then" or straight up juice. Those that are caught need to be dealt w/ severely to try to curb it as much as possible. Sure there are going to be false positives but I doubt the percentage of them comes anywhere close to the number of ppl who cycle off for tests. Ppl bitch about how long the fighters take off and compare it to similar combat sports such as boxing/kickboxing where much more active schedules are kept (esp in countries that don't test), don't they realize that it isn't just training that needs to be cycled? Of course it's a problem in fighting and to bitch about CSAC and try to discredit the testing rather than attacking the problem itself and requiring extremely regular testing for all contracted fighters is just putting your head in the sand. I think anyone under contract should face tests once a month plus randomly and anyone who isn't under a contract but is licensed should either be tested the same or the same when awaiting a scheduled fight and randomly when not.

I am not discrediting the CSAC, but there have been some questionable issues that have come to light with this organization, mostly since the Sherk hearings. That's all I am saying.

Post #34   9/19/10 5:22:05PM   

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:

Posted by BlueSkiesBurn

Am I the only person that's curious as to why it took so long for this to come to light? Normally we find out about these things WAY earlier. I mean, this fight was almost 40 days ago. Even full work-ups don't take that long.

I'm with you on this. I did a little research and it turns out that both Sean Sherk and Hermes Franca were suspended for their fight on July 19 of 2007 which was only 12 days after their fight on July 7. Why is this now coming out more than a month later? I'm not saying that something fishy is definately going on but normally we read about these tests a little earlier.

Post #35   9/19/10 5:51:28PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I'm completely indifferent to the fact that he popped positive. Could care less frankly. I can say however that I'm keenly interested in watching him put the spin on this. Something tells me that Chael's not going to stop all his talking just because of a little hot piss.

Most politicians know when to shut up. That's not one of Sonnen's traits. He's going to run with this in one direction or another and hilarity will likely ensue.

"I didn't take that piss test! It was some guy with a Spanish penis!"

Post #36   9/19/10 5:56:50PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by JimiMak

One thing I will always back Sherk up on is that one of the supplements he was taking was pulled from the market after trace amounts of banned substances where found. (It was a xience product).

I'm not sure if that was the same substance that Sherk was actually busted on but still, it makes me wonder if a stronger look shouldn't be given at the companies that are suppose to be selling legal stuff.

Post #37   9/19/10 6:20:18PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

I'm completely indifferent to the fact that he popped positive. Could care less frankly. I can say however that I'm keenly interested in watching him put the spin on this. Something tells me that Chael's not going to stop all his talking just because of a little hot piss.

Most politicians know when to shut up. That's not one of Sonnen's traits. He's going to run with this in one direction or another and hilarity will likely ensue.

"I didn't take that piss test! It was some guy with a Spanish penis!"

I already propped you for this, but as soon as I can I'm going to prop you again. That was f*cking gold.

Post #38   9/19/10 6:33:53PM   

Chieftan1997

MMA Regular

Chieftan1997 Avatar

Career:1,988-1,076
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I thought the same thing as Emfleek, all that bacne was suspicious!!

Post #39   9/19/10 6:53:19PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I am actually gutted. The one man who looked like he might end the Silva era gets caught cheating. Ahhhh maaaan.

Post #40   9/19/10 6:57:39PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by Chieftan1997

I thought the same thing as Emfleek, all that bacne was suspicious!!

You mean it's not normal for 33 year olds to break out allover their backs like 14 year olds?

It must be sweat from all the not laying on his back he's doing.

Last edited 9/19/10 7:45PM server time by seanfu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #41   9/19/10 7:44:15PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,959-1,091
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Ha! Awesome.

Last edited 9/19/10 9:15PM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a