Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Referee Shoved by Keith Jardine Reacts to Fighter's Actions, Suspension

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Steve Armstrong's night was nearly over. The Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation referee had just presided over the Shark Fights 13 co-main event, and now he was waiting to do his last pre-fight check over main event participant Keith Jardine.

Armstrong waited in the aisle of the Amarillo Civic Center as Jardine threw his arms up for the cheering crowd and approached him. As they intersected, Armstrong stopped Jardine with his right hand in order to begin his mandatory check. In a flash, Jardine pushed Armstrong's hand away and then stared at the veteran referee for a beat before shoving him backwards.

That quick exchange, which took just 2.5 seconds in real time, landed Jardine an indefinite suspension at the hands of the state's athletic sanctioning body, TDLR. In an interview with MMA Fighting, Armstrong explained how the incident took place and his thoughts on the actions that landed the MMA veteran in hot water.

"I think he was zoning," said Armstrong, who has been a referee in Texas for five years, but has been around martial arts since 1973. "He was fixing to fight a big fight. I was trying to stop him, and he smirked and pushed me. I said, 'You push me again, you're DQ'd.' Then he patted my shoulder like he realized what was going on. I think he got caught in the moment."

LINK

Post #1   9/17/10 10:58:31AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Anything more than a $250 fine is overkill.

Post #2   9/17/10 12:46:45PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
thats BS. if the ref is cool with it and jardine apologizes and makes it clear that he didnt do it to be a dick then there should be no suspension.

Post #3   9/17/10 3:30:30PM   

Wand_is_GOD

MMA Regular

Wand_is_GOD Avatar

Career:97-61
Chips:
i think the suspension came way to fast I think he got suspended like 2 days after the event

Post #4   9/17/10 5:48:04PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
Is it not suspension pending further inquiries? He'll be back in the cage soon if common sense prevails.

Post #5   9/17/10 6:31:02PM