Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Who Wants to Get TUF

Print  
Posted By Message

icebergsnoopy

MMA Regular

icebergsnoopy Avatar

Career:361-286
Chips:
By Jason Kelly

A house fuelled with testosterone, alcohol, and macho egos. Sounds like a typical bar but, no no, we’re talking about The Ultimate Fighter house, a breeding ground for up and coming fighters and a platform for circus acts that generate money for television executives. At times one outweighs the other and when the circus acts become the focal point of the show, the show loses its intended purpose.

Season 1 had its fair share of wrinkles to be ironed out, the challenges that had absolutely nothing to do with fighting were a mistake that took 2 seasons to disappear, along with Willa Ford. The most important thing TUF 1 provided was quality fighters who have went on to have great careers for the most part, something that lacked in latter seasons.

In the first 3 seasons, TUF fighters went on to become household names like as Forrest Griffin, Kenny Florian, Rashad Evans, and Michael Bisping. That would be the program`s golden days, when I didn’t want to miss a Wednesday fight because it was the equivalent to watching tomorrows stars on HDNET today, what a true fight fan wants to tune in to. However, the good people of Spike TV couldn’t keep seasons filled with talented fighters and their pockets filled with the kind of money they would encounter if they threw in a sideshow, alcoholic, or person who`s fighting experience is limited.

Chris Leben was our first taste of a troubled, drunken disaster, who was full of anger and demons yet, Leben had real skills. The Junie Brownings are not the reason this show was created but, it gains the same viewers that watch other reality shows, unfortunately that isn’t me. Frank Mir was completely right when he wondered who has access to alcohol when they are in somewhat of a training camp, trying to win a contract. It’s a disgrace to the organization and disrespect to the fighters involved who are for real when a so called fighter is there to put on a show, a show that doesn’t incorporate fight skills, when those open slots could be consumed by real up and coming fighters.

The TUF house served its purpose in the beginning but, if their purpose was consistent, we should’ve seen prospects continue to grow off that show. Jon Jones, Cain Velasquez, and Junior Dos Santos were all absent from seasons of TUF; proving the show is not breaking tomorrow`s stars anymore. We have seen glimpses of talent since the early days, but when Dana White is trying to sell me Phillipe Nover as the next GSP or Anderson Silva, I’m not buying it.

The Ultimate Fighter 12 is being sold off the coaches thus far, I hear more about Georges St. Pierre and Josh Koscheck coaching than I do about who is going to tear this season up. I have seen the fighters who were advertised for this season, and I`m not terribly excited to see Alex “Bruce Leroy“ Caceres, that being said; they have already begun promoting the circus act. Over the seasons of The Ultimate Fighter I have enjoyed some of the fighters and some of the personalities but, I am mostly interested in the fight and they haven’t been able to provide that steadily since season 3. If this season fails to give me what I desire, maybe they should try another “Comeback“ season. The first time they did that it was their fourth season and after 7 more seasons, I think we may be overdue or completely done.

Post #1   9/15/10 4:20:47PM   

papercut

Hulk Status

papercut Avatar

Career:1,290-1,016
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
I havent watched since season 6. it has gotten worse every year. and there arent many competitiors from these latter seasons make any kind of wave in any division and i doubt that any will be a serious contender at any time in their career

Post #2   9/15/10 6:26:36PM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:
Well, I LOVE TUF and look forward to it every week. There hasnt been a bad season....

Agree with the another comeback season, I would like a season of active UFC fighters, All fighting for a title shot.

Post #3   9/15/10 6:54:24PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
What about Gray Maynard, Roy Nelson, George Sotiropoulos, Gerald Harris, Jesse Taylor and some others who I am definitely missing? The guy who wrote this article clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

There has ALWAYS been drunken shenanigans on the show, it's just a fact of life for this show to survive on tv. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but it's not going to change.

Post #4   9/16/10 8:50:52AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by warglory

What about Gray Maynard, Roy Nelson, George Sotiropoulos, Gerald Harris, Jesse Taylor and some others who I am definitely missing? The guy who wrote this article clearly has no idea what he is talking about.

There has ALWAYS been drunken shenanigans on the show, it's just a fact of life for this show to survive on tv. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, but it's not going to change.

Agreed. It is what it is. You either like it or you don't. It will survive without you.

Not to mention that, no matter how you look at it, not every fighter (on TUF or anywhere) is going to be a superstar.

Actually, there are quite a few successful TUF guys that are still in the UFC.

Roy Nelson (2-1 in the UFC...has been very impressive)
George Sotiropolous (6-0...in line for a title shot soon and is the face of Australian MMA)
Gray Maynard (8-0-1 in the UFC...in line for a title)
Ross Pearson (3-1 in the UFC)
Krzysztof Soszynski (4-2 in the UFC)
Ryan Bader (4-0 in the UFC)
Kyle Kingsbury (2-1 in the UFC)
Tim Credeur (3-1 in the UFC)
Matthew Riddle (5-1 in the UFC)
Amir Sadollah (3-2 in the UFC)
Gerald Harris (3-0 in the UFC)
Matt Brown (4-3 in the UFC)
CB Dollaway (4-2 in the UFC)
Cole Miller (6-2 in the UFC)
Joe Lauzon (6-2 in the UFC...had a title shot at one point)
Matt Wiman (6-3 in the UFC)
Manny Gamburyan* (6-3 w/Zuffa-owned promotions)
Nate Diaz (8-3 in the UFC)

* in the WEC...about to fight for a title.

Elite guys are few and far between. I'd say there are quite a few successful guys from past TUF seasons. You can't expect everyone to be the next GSP or Anderson Silva.

Last edited 9/16/10 9:28AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #5   9/16/10 8:52:39AM