Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

WEC official condemns Donald Cerrone's recent slurs, threats of violence

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

brutalbones

MMA Regular

brutalbones Avatar

Career:1,314-868
Camp: UHF Supplies
Chips:
He shouldn't have said that in a interview. That being said, I hope he smashes Varner, he's a d bag.

Post #16   9/15/10 6:18:34PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

He called the guy a fag, big deal. I suspect every fighter has called someone they dont like a fag, at least once.

The WEC is overreacting, he called him a fag. So what? These are professional fighters for **** sake.

"Sticks and stones may brake my bones, but words will never hurt me."
I learned that when i was 5. Am i really to believe that this is a big deal?

The big deal is threatening to kill someone during an MMA fight. Are you hoping for a nationwide MMA ban?

Post #17   9/15/10 7:40:17PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by Pookie

He called the guy a fag, big deal. I suspect every fighter has called someone they dont like a fag, at least once.

The WEC is overreacting, he called him a fag. So what? These are professional fighters for **** sake.

"Sticks and stones may brake my bones, but words will never hurt me."
I learned that when i was 5. Am i really to believe that this is a big deal?

The big deal is threatening to kill someone during an MMA fight. Are you hoping for a nationwide MMA ban?

Do you seriously believe something so drastic will happen in response to something so inconsequential?
That's not even plausible. Cerreone could actually kill Varner in the cage, and i'd bet you money that there still wouldn't be a nationwide ban on MMA. A sport can not be sunk or tarnished by the actions of any one individual. Period.

Post #18   9/16/10 12:14:14AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,849-1,024
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

On a personal level- I could care less. If I'm the president of the WEC or some person who makes money off the company's image- I care a lot. Think about how many California fights the WEC puts on. Especially in the Sacramento area. You don't think the gay community will get pissed off about some comments like that? It's apparent they already did because they left the interview up for days before ever making a statement like this. Clearly somebody somewhere said something to someone. Hell, if California will boycott AZ for a law that was never even signed into the books then why wouldn't they boycott the WEC for bashing on gays?

I hate all the politically correct crap, but I think Cerrone's comments were uncalled for too. I'm not going to make a stink about it, but I'm not naive enough to think it won't affect the company business model when they do a majority of their business in possibly the most politically correct state with probably one of the highest percentages of homosexuals of all states in the union. Especially a state where many elected officials are openly gay.

Anyways it's all pointless. Cerrone will get put on his back and punched all day once again. If he's lucky Varner will get hurt again and fade due to how injury prone he is. But my money says Varner will dominate at least the first round and some of the second if not all of the second. In a 3 round fight that's all the man needs.

Firstly, i am from that region of California. I think most gay people understand that fag is a derogatory term for people and not just gay people.
The boycott on AZ had to do with Racism, but this isnt even an "Ism". This is **** talking. Anyone who cant see that is probably too stupid to even rile up numbers for their cause.

I sincerely doubt it would hurt business, fag is used so commonly in this state that i am aghast that anybody would take it personally.

Post #19   9/16/10 12:23:09AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,616-882
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Firstly, i am from that region of California. I think most gay people understand that fag is a derogatory term for people and not just gay people.

The reason "fag" offends gay people, like any other derogatory term, is because using it implies that somebody else is gay and that for being gay that he or she is inferior to everybody else.

The best example is the use of the word retarded. When one person calls another a retard, that person implies that being mentally handicapped is a bad thing.

WEC isn't to blame here, and I will be rooting hard against Cerrone at the next WEC.

Post #20   9/16/10 12:43:03AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Jackelope

On a personal level- I could care less. If I'm the president of the WEC or some person who makes money off the company's image- I care a lot. Think about how many California fights the WEC puts on. Especially in the Sacramento area. You don't think the gay community will get pissed off about some comments like that? It's apparent they already did because they left the interview up for days before ever making a statement like this. Clearly somebody somewhere said something to someone. Hell, if California will boycott AZ for a law that was never even signed into the books then why wouldn't they boycott the WEC for bashing on gays?

I hate all the politically correct crap, but I think Cerrone's comments were uncalled for too. I'm not going to make a stink about it, but I'm not naive enough to think it won't affect the company business model when they do a majority of their business in possibly the most politically correct state with probably one of the highest percentages of homosexuals of all states in the union. Especially a state where many elected officials are openly gay.

Anyways it's all pointless. Cerrone will get put on his back and punched all day once again. If he's lucky Varner will get hurt again and fade due to how injury prone he is. But my money says Varner will dominate at least the first round and some of the second if not all of the second. In a 3 round fight that's all the man needs.

The boycott on AZ had to do with Racism, but this isnt even an "Ism". This is **** talking. Anyone who cant see that is probably too stupid to even rile up numbers for their cause.

I sincerely doubt it would hurt business, fag is used so commonly in this state that i am aghast that anybody would take it personally.

Even if what you say is true how do you explain the fact that the WEC went out of its way to condemn the comments? Clearly somebody somewhere was pissed and/or disappointed. Clearly it was going to negatively impact the company in one way or another. I don't even understand how this can be disputed in any logical fashion as the evidence of the company's comments points to the fact that the comments were negative toward the company image.

On the topic of the AZ thing I was using it to illustrate the point that Californians are clearly capable of taking a stance against something as indicated by recent history. I also beg to differ that this isn't an "ISM". Prejudice against gays is also called "Heterosexism"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heterosexism

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosexism

http://psychology.ucdavis.edu/rainbow/html/sexual_prejudice.html

Last edited 9/16/10 1:23AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #21   9/16/10 1:21:25AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,523-1,604
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
He needs to take a trash talking lesson from Daley, Mir or Sonnen.....that was not the way to do it!

Post #22   9/16/10 2:42:58AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Chips:

Posted by danr83

No one cared when Frank Mir said that exact same thing..... double standards, what a fk'n joke.

WEC removed Mir from their broadcast team for it. Many fans made a stink about it.

My point? You're wrong.

Post #23   9/16/10 8:42:42AM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
censoring trash talk in any sport is complete bs

Post #24   9/16/10 5:31:08PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2