Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Trilogy: Hughes-Penn 3 Confirmed For UFC 123

Print  
  Page 3 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Posted by postman
I think Huges has been passed by GSP and Anderson as far a single most dominant in one weight class. To ne honest I really don't like the thought of BJ getting a win at 170. Next thing you know he wants to stay there and its just not the place for him.

I respectfully disagree.......While Anderson Silva is definately the most dominant Champion in the UFC's History (7 straight title defenses 5 by finish plus his 6 other wins intertwined in that time), Hughes definately has GSP beat IMO. Hughes has 5 straight title defenses (4 finishes) while GSP has 4 straight title defenses (1 finish). Hughes has 45 wins at WW (35 finishes) against 7 losses in his career, GSP has 20 wins (13 finishes) against 2 losses in his career. Now GSP has more recent wins with a great list of the recent "who's who" in the UFC, Hughes has a legacy that only the numb can ignore.

Let me start by saying when I first started watching the UFC Hughes was hands down my fav fighter. He currently still one of my fav fighters. The way I read his post he was speaking in terms of UFC Legacy. If that’s the case I can't see how GSP has not passed Hughes at this point.

The most obvious point being that they have fought 3 times GSP having went 2-1. Hughes is 1-1 with BJ, GSP is 2-0. Alves stopped Hughes, GSP beat Alves. Both beat Sherk and Trigg. GSP went 1-1 with Serra Hughes 1-0. That’s all for head to common opponent.

Other opponents in UFC

Hughes: GSP:
Almeida Hardy
Renzo Fitch
Lytle Kos
Royce Jason Miller
Riggs Hieron
Verissimo Karo
Castillo
Newton x 2
Sakurai
Valeri Ignatov
Marcelo Aguiar
Loss Dennis Hallman

While Hughes has more wins as we look back are wins over Renzo Royce Riggs and Newton as impressive as the names might make one think? You could say that about Karo but at the time GSP was brought in to lose to Karo. Wins over Fitch and Kos are much bigger in my eyes then any of Hughes. I think this argument is still close due to Hughes having more wins but quality of opponent seems higher for GSP.

Last edited 9/15/10 8:05PM server time by postman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #31   9/15/10 8:23:28AM   

Page 3 of 3     1     2     3