Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Sean Sherk: Evan Dunham Won't Do Anything That I Haven't Seen Or Had Done To Me Before

Print  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And he thinks it's just another step in the road back to the UFC Lightweight Championship, and apparently Sherk isn't afraid to be a little cocky ahead of UFC 119. "What I do works and I'm not going to change it now. I don't think (Evan Dunham) is going to do anything in the cage that I haven't seen or had done to me before. I've literally fought the best of the best in this industry for a very long time. I've fought for world titles in two different weight classes. I don't see him beating me at any aspect of the game. My striking is faster, it's crisper. My wrestling is better, my jiu-jitsu is better. There’s a lot of hungry kids out there, I’m hungry too. I want it. I've been there already. I’ve' had that belt. I loved it. I loved being world champion. I want that again."

Article

Post #1   9/9/10 10:02:33AM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
see what i dont like about sherk is that he will stand and trade with anyone. he wont ever knock anybody out and he wont go to plan B if hes getting picked apart. i see him losing a decision simply because he refuses to take guys down anymore

Post #2   9/9/10 11:30:20AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Dunham is very crafty and technical. He took down Tyson, with better timing and tech skills. I think he may suprise Sherk with a sub, and some good standup ability. Lets see if Sherk will go for takedowns or not. His striking is fast but his reach and accuracy were off, according to his performance vs BJ and Edgar imo. Sherk has to take this guy down and stifle the bjj game if he expects to win.

Post #3   9/9/10 12:22:24PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,164-1,334
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

see what i dont like about sherk is that he will stand and trade with anyone. he wont ever knock anybody out and he wont go to plan B if hes getting picked apart. i see him losing a decision simply because he refuses to take guys down anymore

I see Sherk winning a fight with knocking someone out or TKO within his next 3 fights. He has great hands, just needs to believe he can do it. Thats the big thing.

Post #4   9/9/10 2:58:34PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Eventually Sherk's disposition is going to catch up with him. Its good to be confident in your skills, but he seems to not acknowledge that the sport is getting tougher and evolving with the new fighters that come in.

He feel's he has better stand-up, wrestling, and Jiu-jitsu. But the quality in which you string them together is just as vital to winning as the strength of your skill-set.

In a fight, Wrestling-JiuJitsu-Striking all synthesize into a fluid dynamic. Viewing the 3 as isolated entities is going to hinder growth in the long run.

Post #5   9/9/10 5:04:11PM   

supatolacyl

MMA Regular

supatolacyl Avatar

Career:1,157-897
Chips:
I like Dunham in this fight, he is a very crafty fighter and has been thrown in tough fights his last 3 outtings (even forced to train else where for his last fight) and he hasn't batted an I at the competition. The guy is a winner, even when he looks like the fight is being taken to him he still find a way to win, very impressed with him.

Sherk has very good looking stand up, with his combos and speed, but that's all it boils down to, it "JUST" looks good. He has speed for days and cardio like no other, but per the amount of muscle the guy has and his pure strength, his punches just don't have that bone crushing power behind them. It seems odd really, with his speed + strength you would think that would = big time ko power, but it's just not there. Maybe it's mechanics or maybe he's throwing to fast for his own good, I just don't understand it. Even with takedowns, I think Dunham will pull of a sub from his back if he has too, to get the W.

Post #6   9/9/10 8:17:32PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,687-1,701
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by CCPRIDE99

A lot of fighters have this problem lately....Tyson thinks he is a kickboxer now, and BJ has forgotten about BJJ....it mad frustrating!

Post #7   9/9/10 8:19:38PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,910-1,061
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by supatolacyl
It seems odd really, with his speed + strength you would think that would = big time ko power, but it's just not there. Maybe it's mechanics or maybe he's throwing to fast for his own good, I just don't understand it.

I think it has to do with the muscles on his front being over-developed in comparison to the muscles on his back. It enables him to have tremendous grip and latch-on-to you strength, but it's also hinders the speed/force you can throw onto your punches since those muscle groups dont help punching nearly as much as grappling.

Look at Bruce Lee for contrast - a Hugely developed backside that enabled him to punch with incredible speed and force when coupled with a less developed frontside.

Post #8   9/9/10 8:37:25PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
All I know is I have picked against dunham 4 times now and lost all of them
I aint picking against him this time
I do want sherk to win though

Post #9   9/9/10 9:12:13PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I can agree with Sherk here. I mean the guy has been beat down by a number of great fighters, he got his face smashed by BJ, outboxed by Frankie, outwrestled by GSP, and Hughes. I mean he has seen a lot from a bunch of top 3 guys. That said I think Evan takes this fight in a UD boxing match.

Post #10   9/10/10 8:32:42AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
*insert steroid injection joke here*

Post #11   9/10/10 9:09:03AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
LOL Pookie that's not really fair- you posted one pic of a guy flexing his back and another pic of a guy flexing his chest. By scientific standards that's about as unfaithful to the process as it can get I do see your point but I just found that funny

Sherk has fundamental errors in his standup technique for sure. He's fast and I'm sure he'd outbox the **** out of me, but that doesn't mean I can't know what to look for. Sherk throws a lot of arm punches and doesn't really get his body fully involved. That's why people shrug off his punches like they're nothing because they have no legitimate full body torque behind them

Post #12   9/10/10 11:00:41AM