Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

excercise advice appreciated

Print  
Posted By Message

lakaidude7

Learning to Sprawl

Career:19-14
Chips:
this summer im going to start attending bjj classes here;www.fbjjonline.com and I'm here to ask what kind of things i should do to prepare for the classes besides cardio?And also do i need more experience before i can take the mma classes? or could i start right off the bat?
any answers appreciated

Post #1   4/21/07 2:39:21AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Career:2,077-1,253
Chips:
Cardio will help, and also getting your legs limber as possible by stretching. Some low weight/high rep weight lifting will build some muscle endurance as well.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts
Cage Rage 23 - 6th in Pts
Secondary League Season 3 - 12th in Pts
Secondary League Season 7 - 16th in Wagers
Primary League Season 7 - 26th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 6 - 30th in Pts
Secondary League Season 1 - 31st in Pts
Primary League Season 6 - 39th in Wagers
Secondary League Season 7 - 41st in Pts

Post #2   4/21/07 3:15:21AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Career:239-153
Chips:
You'll find when rolling that a unique type of strength is required... I would strongly suggest body workouts such as pushups, situps, frog leaps, etc... anything you can find will help, but once you start rolling youll notice what will work for you best.

A little tip on cardio too, you may be able to run an hour straight without breaking a sweat, but I tire people like that out in minutes, just like the strength aspect the cardio is unique and different, however running will still help immensly, I would suggest pushing yourselg with circuits of whatever body workouts you chose...

Best of luck to ya, let me know how it goes... if you need any more advice on grappling don't be afraid to post, or even shoot me a pm...

Post #3   4/21/07 3:30:28AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Very true. Basically, the best work out to help you in grappling is to grapple as much as you can. Another thing that helps is to strengthen the grip, being as you'll use a lot of grip in BJJ. Theres a ton of ways to do this, like using a kettlebell, pulling sleds of weights, farmers carry, those weird spring things with the handles, etc

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #4   4/21/07 3:40:15AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Very true. Basically, the best work out to help you in grappling is to grapple as much as you can. Another thing that helps is to strengthen the grip, being as you'll use a lot of grip in BJJ. Theres a ton of ways to do this, like using a kettlebell, pulling sleds of weights, farmers carry, those weird spring things with the handles, etc

Yup, the better grip you got the better you'll do, even moreso in judo... theres one workout I do from time to time that improves your grip immensly... it's so simple though that you may even laugh, but just open and close your hands (all the way, and as tight as you can) around 500 times or more if you can...

Post #5   4/21/07 3:48:47AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
Sounds good to me. I pride myself on having a tremendous grip. In my last fight my opponent told me he felt the bones of his wrist touch at one point while I was working or a kimura.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #6   4/21/07 4:00:49AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

Sounds good to me. I pride myself on having a tremendous grip. In my last fight my opponent told me he felt the bones of his wrist touch at one point while I was working or a kimura.

haha you gotta know youre doing something right when someone tells you that... any vids?

Yea my sensei has plenty of unique excersises for individual traits, and when he gets a hold of some gi that hand aint going anywhere... it's even worse going nogi lol...

Post #7   4/21/07 4:04:38AM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:
I own a copy of the vid, but have no way to get it onto a computer. I lost that one anyways, so you don't want to see that.

Yeah, I have a friend who trains with Jimmy Pedro, and that guys the same way going no-gi. He ends up with handprint-shaped bruises all over him. hehehe

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #8   4/21/07 4:20:49AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

I own a copy of the vid, but have no way to get it onto a computer. I lost that one anyways, so you don't want to see that.

Yeah, I have a friend who trains with Jimmy Pedro, and that guys the same way going no-gi. He ends up with handprint-shaped bruises all over him. hehehe

Sure I do, it's always fun watching ammy MMA with people you know... I have 4 fighters on my forum and theyre all the same way with not showing their losses lol...

Post #9   4/21/07 11:45:43AM   

loller90278

BANNED

loller90278 Avatar

Career:384-262
Chips:

Posted by Svartorm

same with me but my opponent was my wang

Post #10   4/21/07 3:15:09PM   

lakaidude7

Learning to Sprawl

Career:19-14
Chips:
thanks for all the advice,the only thing i have to really work on is cardio and making myself go run.As far as my other question goes, would you guys reccomend jumping right into mma classes?

Post #11   4/21/07 5:31:34PM   

Svartorm

Hammer of the Gods

Svartorm Avatar

Chips:

Posted by richieb19

Posted by Svartorm

Sure I do, it's always fun watching ammy MMA with people you know... I have 4 fighters on my forum and theyre all the same way with not showing their losses lol...

hehehe I'm just joking. I've only got two loses, but I did well in both of them, so I'm not ashamed of them at all. If I didn't have dial-up I could probably figure out how to put the videos online, but theres no way I can upload anything at 56k. Plus I'd have to clear it with my opponents.

DREAM 1 - 2nd in Pts

Post #12   4/22/07 2:42:22AM   

richieb19

MMA Sensei

richieb19 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lakaidude7

thanks for all the advice,the only thing i have to really work on is cardio and making myself go run.As far as my other question goes, would you guys reccomend jumping right into mma classes?

Totally up to you on that one, but IMHO oppiniong it's better to get a solid base before making the transition.. .you can really tell who went to MMA from a background in whatever it may be as opposed to true amateurs of the sport who are just equally crappy in every aspect...

Post #13   4/22/07 3:57:49PM   

garrick

MMA Regular

garrick Avatar

Career:222-122
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:
One of the main pieces of advice is conditioning. You need to be able to go longer and harder then your opponents. Running helps, also doing exercises until you can't do them anymore, builds endurance. Grappling alot will also make you much stronger. Also buy a racketball and squeeze it all day and your grip will be amazing. good luck!

Post #14   4/22/07 4:42:56PM   

mmaarmorprogram

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
One of the most important aspects of training mma as well as your bjj is that you need to have the endurance.Top performing athletes know in order to succeed in MMA they can't waste time in the gym lifting heavy weights which will ultimately affect their overall performance (striking - flexibility - endurance). Instead they focus on exercise routines that enhance movements performed in the ring such as twisting, turning, lunging, pushing and pulling. These are the same type of exercises that you should perform as to increase your endurance for mma.

Increasing your grip strength is key as well. You can incorporate both endurance and grip development by performing "battle rope" routines. Hope that bit of information helped.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #15   6/15/11 12:55:53PM