Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Florian Hires Wrestling Coach, Back in 5 Months

Print  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,497-1,576
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link "I'm more motivated than ever. I'm pissed, to be honest. I want to crush my training. That's what I'm focused on right now. I just hired the assistant wrestling coach at Boston University (Sean Gray) to be my wrestling coach here in Boston and I have other plans for a lot of other things as far as training goes."

Post #1   9/8/10 10:35:09PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
I mean that's all good and everything but isn't this a move you should have made 3 months ago when you knew you were fighting Maynard?

Honestly I wish the best for him and his training but if you start taking things seriously AFTER they're a problem then I think you've got a whole 'nother problem you need to address too.

Post #2   9/8/10 10:47:20PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

I mean that's all good and everything but isn't this a move you should have made 3 months ago when you knew you were fighting Maynard?

Honestly I wish the best for him and his training but if you start taking things seriously AFTER they're a problem then I think you've got a whole 'nother problem you need to address too.

True. But he might not have known it was a weakness. He trains with GSP and must have thought that his wrestling was enough as it was.

Introspection is a lot harder than criticizing from the outside.

I think his coach should have been the one to point it out to him. "Listen Kenny, if you want to beat Gray Maynard, we need to step it up with your wrestling."

Post #3   9/8/10 11:21:49PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

link "I'm more motivated than ever. I'm pissed, to be honest. I want to crush my training. That's what I'm focused on right now. I just hired the assistant wrestling coach at Boston University (Sean Gray) to be my wrestling coach here in Boston and I have other plans for a lot of other things as far as training goes."

Since he was basically undefeated aside from BJ and Sherk he probably thought his game was good enough to win by sub finish. And underestimating him is not something to do.

He lost to BJ, what did he do? Learned how to jab arguably as well so he could win in a rematch standing. Thats a hell of a thing to go from crappy at to amazing.

Last edited 9/8/10 11:49PM server time by seanfu
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   9/8/10 11:47:29PM   

DevonFoxy

MMA Sensei

DevonFoxy Avatar

Career:1,450-848
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Yea idk maybe after the whole Sean Sherk fight and such. I'm assuming he just practiced wrestling as opposed to having a coach?? Weird lol but hey hes trying to fix it so that's a plus but yea this....idk how I feel about it when he's been in the game this long knowing its been a huge problem in his game or at least his biggest weakness in a class that has sun strong wrestlers. I think the more i think about it the more I feel its a little too late for this kinda move liking it less and less.

Post #5   9/9/10 12:15:04AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

True. But he might not have known it was a weakness. He trains with GSP and must have thought that his wrestling was enough as it was.

Introspection is a lot harder than criticizing from the outside.

I think his coach should have been the one to point it out to him. "Listen Kenny, if you want to beat Gray Maynard, we need to step it up with your wrestling."

Well that's kind of my point in a nutshell. For me, the 11 points I got from that match were never in question. I knew from the instant I saw this fight signed that it would end that way and I think a lot of other people did too.

I do grant that introspection is harder than criticizing from the outside, but that's why you keep good people around you like the coach you mentioned. Going into that fight we knew standing Kenflo had the slight edge but we probably also all knew his BJJ and wrestling weren't going to be good enough to keep Maynard from grinding out a decision.

Post #6   9/9/10 12:39:26AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Well that's kind of my point in a nutshell. For me, the 11 points I got from that match were never in question. I knew from the instant I saw this fight signed that it would end that way and I think a lot of other people did too.

I do grant that introspection is harder than criticizing from the outside, but that's why you keep good people around you like the coach you mentioned. Going into that fight we knew standing Kenflo had the slight edge but we probably also all knew his BJJ and wrestling weren't going to be good enough to keep Maynard from grinding out a decision.

I'm glad you knew that

I didn't. I figure the fight would go down something like his fight with Clay Guida. Not saying that a grinded out decision from Gray was a far flung thought (I considered picking him) but I thought Kenny would be able to deal with it.

His fights with Guida, Stevenson, and Lauzon showed really good wrestling. All of those guys are good grapplers/wrestlers. IMO he should have shot on Gray and tried to get on top.

I guess part of my rationale was what you alluded to earlier, I thought he had already fixed the problem with his wrestling after his losses to Sanzhez and Sherk.

Post #7   9/9/10 1:40:21AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I don't know why Florian didnt do this after Sherk layed on him for 5 rds. I don't get how bjj guys expect to win, without the takedown. Kenny took down Joe daddy, im suprised he didnt attempt a takedown on Grey (which would be a lot harder granted) or Kenflo should take DW'S advice and fight aggressive always. He used his jab very well vs Gomi, and vs Grey he put a lil bit of pressure on, but didnt throw the jab nearly as much. I hope kenflo gets his act together soon. I thought he was gonna jab and kick the crap outts grey leg, than submit heim, biy was I wrong!

Post #8   9/9/10 12:15:33PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

His fights with Guida, Stevenson, and Lauzon showed really good wrestling. All of those guys are good grapplers/wrestlers. IMO he should have shot on Gray and tried to get on top.

I guess part of my rationale was what you alluded to earlier, I thought he had already fixed the problem with his wrestling after his losses to Sanzhez and Sherk.

Well no offense but if you think Guida, Stevenson and Lauzon's wrestling is on the level of Maynard's then as a friendly piece of advice I would say you might need to get your head checked

Not trying to be a jerk but I'm just a little disappointed in Kenny and I think he's doing a good thing here by hiring a coach. I just think it should have been something he did BEFORE he fought a D-1 wrestler from Michigan State not AFTER he fought him lol

Post #9   9/9/10 3:17:41PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Well no offense but if you think Guida, Stevenson and Lauzon's wrestling is on the level of Maynard's then as a friendly piece of advice I would say you might need to get your head checked

Don't worry. I'm well aware of the difference in levels.

It was just one of those imperfect comparisons we use in sports to try and make a prediction.

I agree that he should've had a coach already but like I said he probably thought he was going to be OK. I distinctly remember him referring to training with GSP as a reason for why he'd be able to stop Maynard.

Any way, I think we mostly agree and we've pretty much exhausted this topic.

Post #10   9/9/10 7:16:05PM