Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

New York Assemblyman Bob Reilly explains anti-MMA stance on HDNet's 'Inside MMA' (Video)

Print  
Posted By Message

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Bob Reilly explains his view of MMA and why he is strongly opposed to it being legal.

Link to video

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #1   9/4/10 11:04:28AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
Bob Reilly is a moron. How the hell can he say MMA's viewers are drawn to the violence but not have a problem with boxing or any other striking sport?!

Its proven fact that MMA is safer than boxing with less serious injury, less trauma to the brain and has stricter licensing criteria all of which make it a safer sport.

If you actually take his point seriously the news should be taken off air incase people hear about a murder and decide its a good idea and go on a killing spree.

I don't buy into the whole violence begets violence. There is always going to be assholes who think they can pray on the weak. Blaming a sport or even trying to link a sport to domestic violence, street violence or any other type of violence is a joke and shows just how uneducated this man is about the facts and life in general.

Last edited 9/4/10 11:16AM server time by SmileR
Edit note/reason: n/a

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #2   9/4/10 11:15:04AM   

teddythetuna

In Full Mount

teddythetuna Avatar

Career:1,164-752
Chips:
To say that mma will cause me to go beat somebody up or im attracted to the violence is absurd. I watch MMA because, like any sport, i enjoy the entertainment value. I like a grinded out decision as much as a devestating knockout and i actually take offense to this stereotype. Is Bob Anti religion, Anti cars, Anti planes etc. Because more people die or get hurt from religous wars and car accidents than they ever will in mma. Most of the arguments from people like him are uneducated and they do it for the press. What better way to get yourself noticed than by being the center of any kind of mma topic. What a buttcrack

Post #3   9/4/10 2:14:11PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,506-1,559
Camp: country KO
Chips:
football is much more dangerous than any martial art or MMA.

Post #4   9/4/10 2:47:28PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
There's also a reason that you're an assemblyman and not a doctor or psychologist.

Post #5   9/4/10 2:55:59PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Random thoughts...

1. He seems to go back and forth between concern over safety and a more general, philosophical objection to violence. There's some natural overlap between the two, but I'm not sure he has a grasp of the differences.

2. He says that if the rules were changed so that it was less violent and/or less dangerous (again, it's unclear exactly which he means) he would accept MMA more. Then he cites the rules used in PRIDE. Either he doesn't know that New York wouldn't be using PRIDE rules, or he's being deliberately misleading.

3. He says he believes that "violence begets violence." He's not wrong, in a general sense, but to legislate something, I feel like you need to do more than generalize. If he's an Assemblyman, I assume he's involved in this, and not just commenting on it. I could be wrong about that, though.

4. He says he believes MMA encourages domestic violence and violence in schools, but I'm skeptical that he's read a study on the subject. The cynic in me suspects that he's just making [stuff] up. Again, I could be wrong.

It's altogether possible that men who attend fight-sport gyms actually get into less trouble in school, on the street, and at home than they did before. Maybe somebody has already done a study on that, I dunno. I can say with some amount of certainty that encouraging women to study MMA would be beneficial; I wrote a research paper on that in college. Of course, watching MMA on television or in an arena is different from studying it in a gym, and NY doesn't bar gyms or television broadcasts, to my knowledge.

5. Does he think that every other sport should be banned? Hockey and football aren't exactly safe or non-violent. And, heck, I got hurt playing baseball as a kid several times.

6. His analogy of combining boxing and wrestling with allowing people to drive on either side of the road was just stupid. Even people who agree that MMA is too violent and shouldn't be sanctioned must be doing a "facepalm" at that one.

It seems to me that he shouldn't have given a statement on the subject yet, because he has more research to do. He doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

Post #6   9/4/10 4:46:14PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,649-1,474
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

...It seems to me that he shouldn't have given a statement on the subject yet, because he has more research to do. He doesn't seem to know what he's talking about.

Unfortunately, this is the same butthole that been dragging the issue out this whole time.

Post #7   9/4/10 10:29:58PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
His argument makes no sense. What difference does it make what the objective is? If football's objective is to get the ball in the end zone and it's more dangerous than MMA (who's goal is to damage your opponent) does it matter what the reason is? Or is the fact that it is more dangerous the problem, not the objective?

In other words who gives a flying f**k why the sport is dangerous if it's dangerous.

Post #8   9/5/10 12:15:11AM