Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

FightMetric to Be the UFC's Official Statistics Provider

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
FightMetric® is now the official statistics provider of the Ultimate Fighting Championship® (UFC®), supplying the world's first comprehensive mixed martial arts (MMA) statistics and analysis system to the largest MMA organization in the world. The inclusion of official FightMetric data into the evaluation of both fights and fighters will, for the first time ever, provide media members and fans with a chance to track the history and performance of UFC competitors beyond simple wins and losses.

The FightMetric system utilizes a precise and scientific methodology to analyze MMA bouts across 67 statistical categories, encompassing all strikes, takedowns, submissions, and position changes. In addition to raw statistics, FightMetric is at the vanguard of advanced MMA analytics, creating a proprietary algorithm to produce an overall Effectiveness Score and pioneering the use of other metrics to foster greater understanding of how MMA bouts are fought.

LINK

Post #1   9/2/10 2:25:08PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

I've been anticipating something big from FightMetric for a while. Oh yeah...and Compustrike sucks.

Post #2   9/2/10 2:55:32PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
Eenteresteeng...

*scratches chin thoughtfully*

It's not clear to me yet what this will mean. They note that judges will not be given access to stats during the match. I can see two sides to that idea. Hopefully, one of the effects of this is that FightMetric stats will be available for all UFC fights, instead of just the few. On the other hand, it could mean that FightMetric stats for non-UFC fights will no longer be available (the article doesn't say the deal is in any way exclusive, but it doesn't say it's not either).

Post #3   9/2/10 2:56:33PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Eenteresteeng...

*scratches chin thoughtfully*

It's not clear to me yet what this will mean. They note that judges will not be given access to stats during the match. I can see two sides to that idea. Hopefully, one of the effects of this is that FightMetric stats will be available for all UFC fights, instead of just the few. On the other hand, it could mean that FightMetric stats for non-UFC fights will no longer be available (the article doesn't say the deal is in any way exclusive, but it doesn't say it's not either).

Some time ago, they went back and did every fight in UFC history, so I'm sure they'll be doing every fight in the future. I've talked to Rami on a couple of occasions and it seems as though he currently only posts the most talked about fights.

Post #4   9/2/10 3:06:52PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
that's really cool. People having easier access to more information can only be a good thing. I have always loved fightmetric's site, good news. Even if the judges won't have access to the stats during the fights, just the fact that they're going to be that much more publicized will force them to become more aware of how their scoring differs from the scoring of someone who has the time and means to count every single strike and submission attempt thrown.

I still think the biggest problem with judging is the fact that the judges literally sit cageside. Keizer has said that this means they get a better view, but anyone with half a brain realizes that's complete bullshit. The people who have access to 10 camera angles being switched to the best possible angle on a slight delay have infinitely better views. The cage obscures your view, the posts in the corners of the cage will sometimes completely block your view, the fighters are spinning and circling around the entire fight and with one vantage point you will surely be staring at one fighter's back for large portions of the fight.

They need to put these guys in booths with video panels that show several different angles. I know this isn't about judging, but ultimately fightmetric acts as a verification source for judge's decisions.

Post #5   9/2/10 3:32:10PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
They should have it like strikeforce
At end of fight show the statistics

Post #6   9/2/10 4:15:49PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Some time ago, they went back and did every fight in UFC history, so I'm sure they'll be doing every fight in the future. I've talked to Rami on a couple of occasions and it seems as though he currently only posts the most talked about fights.

Oh, I see. So this may not change that. Bummer, if so.

Post #7   9/2/10 5:12:00PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,164-1,334
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
LOL
Will this even matter? Yeah it will give us some insight, but will the judges use this? How will it help the UFC is what I would like to know!!

Post #8   9/2/10 6:12:20PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

This!! I really like that aspect of SF's show. It better reflects how the fight went.

Post #9   9/2/10 6:58:27PM   

DJSyko

MMA Regular

DJSyko Avatar

Career:1,231-718
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Posted by prozacnation1978

This!! I really like that aspect of SF's show. It better reflects how the fight went.

am pretty sure thats what this deal is for isnt it? or else there is no point of it, it would just be the same thing with a couple of UFC logos on there site. great news btw.

Post #10   9/2/10 10:39:20PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
Good for the fightMetric guys, We should be happy for them. They are making big bucks now.

Post #11   9/2/10 11:30:55PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,916-1,093
Chips:
Fightmetric is a brilliant idea by a hardcore mma fan made good. There is no perfect way to score mma action for action, but fightmetric is the best of what there is. They have been a favorite site of mine for a long time, and I hope they get all they deserve for the awesome work they do.

Post #12   9/4/10 12:33:02AM