Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Alan Belcher Faces Possible Retirement From Eye Injury

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,428-1,454
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Story

"Worst case is I don't get any better than this and I'm only working with one eye and then I probably don't want to risk fighting again with only one eye, cause if I lose that one, then I'm going to be blind," Belcher said. "So it's just -- I'm not even really thinking about fighting right now. I'm just going to wait a couple months and see where I'm at. It's disappointing cause I was on a roll and getting close to a title [shot]."

p.s. this is very sad news to me..as one of my top tier fighter in MW might have to retire from MMA..

Post #1   9/1/10 2:42:59PM   

MattHughesRules

MMA Regular

MattHughesRules Avatar

Career:710-388
Camp: Tapout or Passout
Chips:
This is sad news. Never like to see a fighter get his career shortened by injury. Especially in a case like this where he was on his way up and fighting in the prime of his career. Even though he lost I think his fight with Akiyama was the best and most exciting of his career. Hopefully we get a chance to see more of him in the future!

Post #2   9/1/10 3:02:51PM   

ChokeUout

In Full Mount

ChokeUout Avatar

Career:446-268
Chips:
Keep whoever poked Alan away from Marcus "Big Baby" Jones!

Post #3   9/1/10 3:16:58PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Wow...the website that posted this article needs to get with the program. This interview is 3 weeks old.

LINK

Post #4   9/1/10 3:21:00PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by ChokeUout

Keep whoever poked Alan away from Marcus "Big Baby" Jones!

too funny!

seriously, Alan Belcher is a fun fighter to watch. hope he gets better.

Post #5   9/1/10 3:37:48PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Well all he can do is wait and see I geuss. I hopw for his sake he can come back or at lweast has some kind of career to fall back on!?

Post #6   9/1/10 6:59:30PM   

JoeWarren33

MMA Sensei

JoeWarren33 Avatar

Career:2,164-1,334
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
This is some sad news IF he does retire.
Great fighter, very fun to watch and seems like a good guy.

Whats wrong with wearing a pirate patch? He would look creepy, maybe scare the opponents. Not only that he would get mad respect, winning with only one eye.
Just a thought Alan :)
Either way, he was a great fighter, and brought it every fight. He will be missed IF this is true.

Post #7   9/1/10 7:19:34PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
Finally, a topic that I know more about than most people. YAY!

I've had the same procedure that Belcher had/will have. I was involved in an altercation where someone threw a beer at my face and it hit me in the left eye which caused it to detach some month and a half later.

Belcher's chances for full recovery are nil and not. He will be on a healthy dose of eye drops known as Vigamox, Acular, OmniPred, and Atropine. Additionally, he will likely be taking steroids such as Prednisone. He will also have to take an eye pressure medication such a Diamox to ensure that his pressure doesn't spike to around 16-18 which will cause incapacitating headaches.

The drops, regular check ups to ensure that the retinal band has taken, and the medication, will help to ensure that there is some recovery, but it's doubtful, and when I say doubtful I mean it would take a miracle, that Belcher will recover without needing the aid of contacts, glasses.

The good news, which I will share with the playground, is that I'm almost 100% certain that my vision (pre retinal-reattachment surgery) was worse than Belcher's. I'm not blind in the Ray Charles sense. I just need really powerful contacts or I am legally blind in one eye. I couldn't see dick anyhow before so I'm not too sure if that much of a difference was made.

This surgery is done often enough that Belcher has a chance for a good recovery. As I've stated he, most likely, will NOT fully recover, but I don't see why he can't live a normal life. That doesn't mean he will be able to fight again, but it shouldn't mess with his normal day-to-day activities.

EDIT: This is really old new BTW.

Last edited 9/1/10 8:22PM server time by BlueSkiesBurn
Edit note/reason: n/a
4 total post edits

Post #8   9/1/10 8:20:15PM