Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Demian Maia Talks Mario Miranda Win, Hints at Move to Welterweight

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
"(Mario Miranda) defends really well, and in really sticky situations, where you have to defend taking blows. Sport Jiu-Jitsu is one thing, MMA is really different. He defended really well in difficult positions ... It’s something I need to fix, but credit to him, too."

"I controlled the standup game well, landed good takedowns, but couldn’t manage to finish. I’m going to go back and contemplate that now."

LINK

Post #1   8/31/10 10:51:11AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
It could be a good move for him, dont think cutting the weight would be that much of a problem.

Post #2   8/31/10 12:06:45PM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:
I think he's fine at 185, he looks healthy and strong at MW, don't mess with a good thing by dropping to WW.

Post #3   8/31/10 12:43:03PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Maia's takedowns looked a lot better than when he fought for the belt. If Maia can continue to get that much better at wrestling, he could problly stay at mw and get a title shot imo. The only thing I noticed that Rogan pointed out, was that he kept losing the arm bar on Miranda, and could have tried to hold the leg like Rogan suggested. That said Miranda being a bjj black belt and a good wrestler, he is problly hard to submit.

Maia vs GSP would be entertaining, I wonder if GSP would take Maia down? I wouldnt!!

Post #4   8/31/10 2:04:21PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
dont think its a good idea. most top guys at ww are known for their takedown defense

Post #5   8/31/10 3:30:41PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Chips:

Posted by CCPRIDE99

dont think its a good idea. most top guys at ww are known for their takedown defense

HIs size advantage moving down in weight would do wonders to negate that.

Post #6   8/31/10 5:05:29PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Maia looked great against a nmuch bigger Miranda. A move to WW would siute him just fine IMO. He looks ....for lack of a better term, soft around the midle. With the right coach he should be able to make the move.

Post #7   8/31/10 6:00:26PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,512-891
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Maia's takedowns looked a lot better than when he fought for the belt. If Maia can continue to get that much better at wrestling, he could problly stay at mw and get a title shot imo. The only thing I noticed that Rogan pointed out, was that he kept losing the arm bar on Miranda, and could have tried to hold the leg like Rogan suggested. That said Miranda being a bjj black belt and a good wrestler, he is problly hard to submit.

Maia vs GSP would be entertaining, I wonder if GSP would take Maia down? I wouldnt!!

This is a pretty interesting point that falls more into the realm of Jiu Jitsu than it does MMA, though there is certainly overlap.

Rogan comes from the newer tradition of jiu jitsu. It is more American than Brazilian and focuses much more heavily on No-Gi grappling than Grappling with the Gi. Eddie Bravo in particular (Rogan's main influence) advocates slowly moving from mount to the "Spider Web" position, which is essentially the arm bar position with out having the arm extended. This involves gripping the legs to keep the guy on his back and maintain your base during the transition.

Maia comes from a more traditional Jiu Jitsu base that generally trains first with the Gi and then without it. They modify their Gi techniques to fit No-Gi rather than starting there. The traditional jiu jitsu mounted arm bar involves grabbing the far arm as you fall (the one you aren't attacking) and falling at an angle towards the opponents hips. From this perspective the mistake that Maia made was falling flat on his back instead of at an angle towards the hips.

The point I'm trying to make is that Rogan's commentary, especially on jiu jitsu, can be biased towards his own personal combat experience. There are plenty of examples of fighters completing arm bars without grabbing the leg. In the case of a traditional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu stylist like Maia it is probably unlikely that he ever grabs the leg. Does that mean he never hits any arm bars?

It's just like the fact that Rogan seems to think the only effective guard for MMA is Rubber Guard (Eddie Bravo style) despite the fact that fighters like the Noguieras have used more traditional guards such as double wrist control and under hooks more effectively than Rubber Guard has ever been used in MMA.

Post #8   8/31/10 7:26:04PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

How do you spell KTFO?

Post #9   8/31/10 9:51:25PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

It's just like the fact that Rogan seems to think the only effective guard for MMA is Rubber Guard (Eddie Bravo style) despite the fact that fighters like the Noguieras have used more traditional guards such as double wrist control and under hooks more effectively than Rubber Guard has ever been used in MMA.

i don't think that is a fair thing to say about Rogan's view on JJ. i never personally heard him say that nor do i believe he thinks that. if you have heard otherwise i apologize for doubting what you say, however, like i said i haven't heard anything of the sort.

Post #10   9/1/10 12:06:56PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,276-1,203
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by bjj1605

i don't think that is a fair thing to say about Rogan's view on JJ. i never personally heard him say that nor do i believe he thinks that. if you have heard otherwise i apologize for doubting what you say, however, like i said i haven't heard anything of the sort.

Agreed. I've always heard Joe praise the rubber guard but never once (that I can recall) have I heard him say it's the most effective guard in MMA.

Last edited 9/1/10 12:08PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   9/1/10 12:08:13PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by bjj1605

It's not in his commentary. I'm not sure if it was in a video of his or if I read it in his praise for eddie bravo's book on the rubber guard. Now that I think about it I think it was in the book on rubber guard. That makes it a little understandable since he was trying to sell his friends book, but his argument was essentially like this:

traditional jiu jitsu players rely on the grips that they use with the gi and are lost with out those grips (ie. collar grips, pistol grip on the sleeve). Eddie Bravo's jiu jitsu game uses different positions to get around this problem.

He has also given similar praise to Ceaser Gracie schools and certain Guerilla Jiu Jitsu schools that train exclusively no-gi.

I also distinctly remember either him or Eddie Bravo calling the gi "a useless relic" or something to that effect.

I'm not insulting his opinion (he may even be right) but I was trying to point out that his commentary is biased when it comes to jiu jitsu. Despite explicit statements he has made trying to sell a friends book I believe there are undertones in his commentary on grappling. Such as the statement he made about Maia's arm bar attempt.

PS: Props to anyone who can find the quote from Joe Rogan I'm talking about. I lent my copy of the rubber guard book to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet.

Post #12   9/1/10 11:44:02PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I also distinctly remember either him or Eddie Bravo calling the gi "a useless relic" or something to that effect.

This may be something Eddie Bravo said (and I honestly don't like Eddie Bravo's style much at all) but I can tell you for a fact that Joe Rogan does not believe this. He's said numerous times that numerous fighters need to go and train some gi jiu jitsu in order to strengthen their fundamentals. I've never heard Rogan bash on the gi as a useless relic or anything of the sort

Even if Joe did say this at some point I'm sure it was an isolated incident. I can guarantee you that if you watch every UFC you will hear him say Fighter A needs to go train with the gi for a while numerous times. I would bet that between UFC 50 and now I've heard him say that at least 5 times.

EDIT: That being said, I would 99% believe Eddie Bravo would say that. He's just the kind of... person... who would say that kind of thing. He's kind of taken up a stance against traditional BJJ as a rule of thumb.

Last edited 9/1/10 11:51PM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #13   9/1/10 11:48:01PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:
So I looked up the book and I can't get in it to find the quote I was talking about but I did see the back cover where he says that Eddie bravo's style is much better than traditional jiu jitsu.

Link

Post #14   9/1/10 11:58:03PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

So I looked up the book and I can't get in it to find the quote I was talking about but I did see the back cover where he says that Eddie bravo's style is much better than traditional jiu jitsu.

Link

But that's not bashing on the gi or anything. Of course Rogan will think Bravo's style is better- he's a student of Tenth Planet.

Post #15   9/2/10 12:00:32AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2