Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Florian Says Wrestling Ability, Not Mental Game Responsible for UFC 118 Loss

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
UFC president Dana White saw Kenny Florian's loss to Gray Maynard at UFC 118 on Saturday night as yet another sign that Florian cracks under the pressure of the big fights, falling short just as he's about to reach the top.

But to hear Florian tell it, the defeat was far more physical than mental.

LINK

Post #1   8/31/10 10:49:39AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
For a guy who is a kung fu master
If I was a black belt bjj. Ufc sub master. I would take his ass down!!!

But I guess kenny plan was better. Just stand and strike with him

Post #2   8/31/10 11:23:27AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

If I was a black belt bjj. Ufc sub master. I would take his ass down!!!

Easier said than done when dealing with a much stronger wrestler.

Post #3   8/31/10 11:24:56AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
This just goes back to what I said when Dana's comments first came out. Glad to see Kenny being a man about it all and telling it like it is.

Post #4   8/31/10 12:04:15PM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I believe/agree with Kenny.

Post #5   8/31/10 12:30:19PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
i really don't see how you can look at it any other way. this is 100%, imo, due to Gray Maynard having he best TDs in the LW division when he chooses to use them. hell, he took down the guy that made BJ look like he had no TD defense. Gray is an amazing wrestler, and as the sport is evolving it seems that more often than naught 15 minutes isn't enough time to submit these great wrestlers. i tip my hat to Grey and can't wait to see his rematch with Edgar as Edgar has evolved a lot since their last fight.

Post #6   8/31/10 1:29:15PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
Best way to counter these wrestlers is to take them down first- wrestlers hate being on thier back more than other styles it seems

, or get a killer guard. It seems most people are good on top with bjj, only Mir, Nog, Maia Werdum, Jacare and a handfull of others have killer guards.
However a powerful wrestler with good sub defense could styfle the guard.

Judo is good to use against wrestlers. Use their takedown aggression against them, and toss them on their heads.
Every mma fighter should improve their takedowns to be more of a sucess imo..

Last edited 8/31/10 2:00PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   8/31/10 1:58:39PM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

Best way to counter these wrestlers is to take them down first- wrestlers hate being on thier back more than other styles it seems

, or get a killer guard. It seems most people are good on top with bjj, only Mir, Nog, Maia Werdum, Jacare and a handfull of others have killer guards.
However a powerful wrestler with good sub defense could styfle the guard.

Judo is good to use against wrestlers. Use their takedown aggression against them, and toss them on their heads.
Every mma fighter should improve their takedowns to be more of a sucess imo..

you better be a judo master. personally im a high level wrestler that trains at a gym where my coach is a high level blackbelt in judo and hes never once been able to throw me. tries all the time and never does

Post #8   8/31/10 4:30:06PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I definitely agree that taking down Gray Maynard is easier said than done. But I would like to point out that wrestlers in MMA often get taken down more than you would expect. You have to modify your stance a lot in order to be able to strike effectively. A lot of times this changes the way you sprawl.

For examples recently look at:

Hendo vs Shields
Anderson vs Chael (despite the fact that Chael mostly dominate the wrestling Anderson did hit a couple successful takedowns, something you wouldn't expect based on their pedigrees and something that would never happen in a pure wrestling match)

So I agree that taking down a wrestler can often be a better strategy than trying to sprawl and brawl with them when you know they can probably take you down.

I thought the same thing with BJ vs Edgar. BJ shot two takedowns and got both. If he would've come in based on that strategy he might have the LW Belt around his waist again.

Post #9   8/31/10 7:34:30PM