Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Gray Maynard Isn't Finishing His Opponents-But Neither Is Anyone Else

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
And he doesn't understand what the fuss is all about with regards to his last 7 wins-all decisions. "That's what I keep telling people! Who is stopping them? Name a name and I'll bow down, but who is stopping these guys? That's why I can't pay attention to these people. If you're a true sports fan who enjoys MMA and really try to understand it, you'll get it. Look at Edgar. He's only ever lost to myself. Look at Clementi, who has 52 professional fights and has only been stopped a handful of times. Jim Miller has only lost to the champion and myself. Huerta has never been stopped. Pretty much the same thing with Nate Diaz. Florian did get stopped by Penn, but you see what I mean. It's an excuse, but that's just how it is. I'm asking for the top guys. The decisions are just part of it. The sport is growing so much that these fights are just going to keep getting closer and closer. I don't know what people are going to do, but there are going to be a lot more close fights. More fighters are able to pull in the cash you need to hire the top coaches and eat and train right. We're going up against the guys where that's all they do year round. They train everyday. The gap is going to start to close on these title fights. Guys are getting better and better. People will start to appreciate it, it just takes time."

Article

Post #1   8/31/10 8:23:23AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
+1

I get so sick of hearing people bitch and moan about guys not finishing fights.

Last edited 8/31/10 8:42AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   8/31/10 8:41:41AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

+1

Me too.

Post #3   8/31/10 9:45:13AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
thats an intelligent response to his critics by gray. every time i hear the guy talk he seems like a good guy, and people i know that have met him have said the same thing. same can be said for edgar, and i think that its pretty refreshing that a couple of guys that didnt try to talk themselves up or their opponents down on the way to the top of the ladder. its going to be hard to pick a winner in that fight, my head and heart are both not sure who theyre leaning towards.

Post #4   8/31/10 9:49:28AM   

Wand_is_GOD

MMA Regular

Wand_is_GOD Avatar

Career:97-61
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by emfleek

+1

Me too.

Same

Post #5   8/31/10 10:29:15AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I will buy that load, seriously, unless a guy is hurt bad getting rnc is hard as heck these days.

P.S.

dont know enough about BJJ, so I am editing myself. All I can say is I took classes at a gracie gym, and most of the stuff I learned was off my back. I cant understand,how abjj black belt, no one in paticular, cant do subs off the back???
imo

Last edited 8/31/10 1:48PM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   8/31/10 10:45:00AM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by Wand_is_GOD

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by emfleek

+1

Me too.

Same

Uh, is it uncool to follow along this trend now?

I love his take on this, and he's right, he's fought a very tough crop of opponents.

Post #7   8/31/10 10:46:20AM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,530-1,341
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
There is a world of difference from guys like tyson griffin, edgar and
Okami, and stout. Then
From guys like maynard, sherk, fitch.

And then there are guys like lentz, madsen. Who put people to sleep

Nothing against maynard. His style wins fights. But he is boring to watch
And I have seen him fight 3 times now live

Tyson griffin. Paul taylor edgar. At least when they go to decisions they make them exciting. Probably reason why they win fight of the night honors all the time

Post #8   8/31/10 11:32:50AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Posted by Wand_is_GOD

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by emfleek

+1

Me too.

Same

Uh, is it uncool to follow along this trend now?

I love his take on this, and he's right, he's fought a very tough crop of opponents.

Me 5

Post #9   8/31/10 12:06:15PM   

sparky

AV BET Record: 41-10

sparky Avatar

Career:2,843-1,563
Camp: Team Fry Guy
Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

There is a world of difference from guys like tyson griffin, edgar and
Okami, and stout. Then
From guys like maynard, sherk, fitch.

And then there are guys like lentz, madsen. Who put people to sleep

Nothing against maynard. His style wins fights. But he is boring to watch
And I have seen him fight 3 times now live

Tyson griffin. Paul taylor edgar. At least when they go to decisions they make them exciting. Probably reason why they win fight of the night honors all the time

Post #10   8/31/10 12:06:24PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by icantthinkofanything

I will buy that load, seriously, unless a guy is hurt bad getting rnc is hard as heck these days.

P.S.

What is a black belt in BJJ who cant defend off his back?
a fraud imo

it;s a completely different game. go to the thread where Maia mentions that it is completely different if you don't take my word for it. now, don't get me wrong, i agree with you to the point where people have black belts and they get their guard passed like it's nothing...which to me is just disgraceful (Babe Rudiger). however, when you face a high level wrestler like Gray Maynard who has been practicing JJ for years now it is like facing another black belt. the sport of grappling is becoming a fusion between wrestling and JJ to the point where they are almost one. i don't discredit Florians black belt for not being able to sub Maynard, who is an extremely high level grappler, and also because in MMA it is just a different animal.

Post #11   8/31/10 1:37:04PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by icantthinkofanything

P.S.

What is a black belt in BJJ who cant defend off his back?
a fraud imo

it;s a completely different game. go to the thread where Maia mentions that it is completely different if you don't take my word for it. now, don't get me wrong, i agree with you to the point where people have black belts and they get their guard passed like it's nothing...which to me is just disgraceful (Babe Rudiger). however, when you face a high level wrestler like Gray Maynard who has been practicing JJ for years now it is like facing another black belt. the sport of grappling is becoming a fusion between wrestling and JJ to the point where they are almost one. i don't discredit Florians black belt for not being able to sub Maynard, who is an extremely high level grappler, and also because in MMA it is just a different animal.

Exactly Throw a gi on these guys, take away punches, and everything changes IMO. Even if you just take away gloves and punches and leave the gi off I guarantee everything changes

Post #12   8/31/10 1:42:20PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
My problem with Gray isn't that he DOESN'T finish fights. It's my perception that he isn't trying sufficiently hard to finish fights.

This is my opinion and I have no way of getting in his head and knowing the extent to which he is trying.

At the end of the day though I don't find his fights as exciting compared to other fighters facing similarly tough competition.

Post #13   8/31/10 7:15:40PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

My problem with Gray isn't that he DOESN'T finish fights. It's my perception that he isn't trying sufficiently hard to finish fights.

This is my opinion and I have no way of getting in his head and knowing the extent to which he is trying.

At the end of the day though I don't find his fights as exciting compared to other fighters facing similarly tough competition.

I'll chime into this just to add to the debate.

I will not center a particular fighter out, but I agree. I am and have never been interested in seeing three rounds of jabs being thrown trying to set up the one big punch, which happens more frequently than some people want to believe.

I don't buy into the fact that "my opponent" was tough which is why I didn't finish the fight 100%. Sure this is true, but not in every circumstance.

IMO, there is a differences between

1) fighting a smart fight with a plan.

and

2) playing it too safe to the point where you look like you have no gameplan

Of all the times I have fought and won cleanly, I had a plan and executed it methodically. The times I fought and was lost, I just basically kept pumping my jab out there. Based on my experience, I can't agree that not finishing a fight has everything to do with the opponents' toughness/skill.

Post #14   9/1/10 1:17:02AM   

UNTAMED_FEELING

Learning to Sprawl

UNTAMED_FEELING Avatar

Career:250-211
Chips:
I myself am interested to see what happens with Gray when he gets into the championship rounds, maybe we might see a finish out him him there.

Post #15   9/1/10 1:17:34AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2