Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

WEC version of TUF coming

Print  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
link
With the season 12 debut of the "Ultimate Fighter" just a couple of weeks away, the UFC is mapping out the future of the reality show that will include an international flavor and a WEC version of the show coming soon. White also confirmed the flyweight division in the WEC, in a move that could be completed before the end of the 2010 calendar year.

Post #1   8/30/10 11:42:14PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I would watch a WEC TUF but would enough other people watch it though.

Would like to see a Featherweight one.

Post #2   8/30/10 11:52:26PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
The WEC has been working on the flyweight deal for a long ass time now. Glad to see they're finally going to make it happen. I have a buddy who is one of the highest ranked flyweights in the world and I'll be very happy to see him finally get a crack at the limelight. You wanna talk about some exciting fights... flyweights are barn burners

Post #3   8/31/10 12:08:13AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i agree man, the little guys are awesome to watch. there's no rest, very rarely is there a boring flyweight fight.

Post #4   8/31/10 12:19:09AM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,546-1,579
Camp: country KO
Chips:
just disolve the light weight part of the WEC and we have the future of cable MMA. With the fly weight division added I'm on board!

Post #5   8/31/10 12:19:26AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
I wonder if they will use this to bring in new talent or if they will use current fighters to set up a title shot?

Post #6   8/31/10 12:23:01AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by machodog76

just disolve the light weight part of the WEC and we have the future of cable MMA. With the fly weight division added I'm on board!

Why dissolve the LW division in order to do it? Why can't they keep it and just do more shows now?

Post #7   8/31/10 1:40:13AM   

CCPRIDE99

Standup Guy

CCPRIDE99 Avatar

Career:1,224-710
Chips:
i really like this. cant wait for it

Post #8   8/31/10 9:00:07AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,255-1,187
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

...only because I don't have Versus.

Post #9   8/31/10 9:02:24AM   

Chael_Sonnen

Follow.The.Buzzards

Chael_Sonnen Avatar

Career:1,277-785
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by machodog76

Why dissolve the LW division in order to do it? Why can't they keep it and just do more shows now?

Good point, don't dissolve it, keep it intact, and do more shows, I love it the way it is.

Post #10   8/31/10 1:16:26PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by machodog76

Good point, don't dissolve it, keep it intact, and do more shows, I love it the way it is.

Exactly... I mean... I dunno maybe I'm in the minority or something, but I find the WEC's lightweight division to be extremely exciting. Think about all the great title fights at 155 over the last couple years-

McCullough vs. Varner
Varner vs. Hicks
Varner vs. Cerrone
Varner vs. Henderson
Henderson vs. Cerrone #2

On top of that you had non title fights-

Henderson vs. Cerrone #1
Roller vs. Henderson
Cerrone vs. Ratcliff
Varner vs. Shalorus

Those were all extremely exciting fights IMO and the upcoming bout of Varner vs. Cerrone promises to be exciting, too. I say definitely keep the LW division around and keep making exciting fights!

Post #11   8/31/10 1:39:15PM   

machodog76

MMA Sensei

machodog76 Avatar

Career:2,546-1,579
Camp: country KO
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by Chael_Sonnen

Posted by Jackelope

Posted by machodog76

Exactly... I mean... I dunno maybe I'm in the minority or something, but I find the WEC's lightweight division to be extremely exciting. Think about all the great title fights at 155 over the last couple years-

McCullough vs. Varner
Varner vs. Hicks
Varner vs. Cerrone
Varner vs. Henderson
Henderson vs. Cerrone #2

On top of that you had non title fights-

Henderson vs. Cerrone #1
Roller vs. Henderson
Cerrone vs. Ratcliff
Varner vs. Shalorus

Those were all extremely exciting fights IMO and the upcoming bout of Varner vs. Cerrone promises to be exciting, too. I say definitely keep the LW division around and keep making exciting fights!

I agree that the fights are exciting but I just don't see the point of zuffa having 2 lightweight divisions I would like to see all of the above fighters in the UFC. I guees the talent pool is probably deep enough to have both but I would love to see how some of the WEC fighters would fare against UFC fighters, some of them would probably make more money as well.

Post #12   8/31/10 2:02:52PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by machodog76

I agree that the fights are exciting but I just don't see the point of zuffa having 2 lightweight divisions I would like to see all of the above fighters in the UFC. I guees the talent pool is probably deep enough to have both but I would love to see how some of the WEC fighters would fare against UFC fighters, some of them would probably make more money as well.

Sometimes I think that, too. Unfortunately I think half or more of the guys would end up getting cut. I know Cerrone, just based on his wrestling skills, would probably be one of the first out the door. Followed by Henderson due to his lack of stand up skills. Varner and Shalorus would probably last the longest just based on how well rounded they are (Varner = boxing, wrestling, Shalorus = wrestling, chin).

Personally, even though I can't stand his personality, I think Cerrone is an exciting fighter to watch. I'd hate to see him relegated to these other promotions where he fights MAYBE twice a year. Henderson seems like a good dude on top of having some great BJJ skills. And even for as much as people knock on Varner for his injuries you have to admit he has a knack for getting into exciting fights.

I dunno, just based on all of those things listed above I would hate to see the WEC dissolve their LW division. That's just my side of the story, though

Post #13   8/31/10 2:09:30PM