Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

KJ Noons and King Mo use Compressed Oxygen at Strikeforce

Print  
Posted By Message

boarderxcosta

Learning to Sprawl

boarderxcosta Avatar

Career:679-523
Chips:
http://www.lowkick.com/Strikeforce/Illegal-Substances-used-in-StrikeForce-Houston-event-9647

Did not see this posted yet here. I thought it very interesting.
What do fighters and fans think of this?
Is it a big deal or not? It is illegal but Strikeforce does not care and does not drug test either.

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #1   8/25/10 1:53:52AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Interesting. I've actually had a shot of O2 from those before and I've got to say it seems to do something for you for sure.

I'd have to say for the short term that it's no different than blood doping and for that reason it should be banned.

Last edited 8/25/10 2:33AM server time by Jackelope
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #2   8/25/10 2:32:58AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:3,003-1,643
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Middleeasy had an article on this. They confirmed, I believe yesterday, that the commission was aware of the canisters and had approved them prior to the event.

I tried a canister of it earlier this year, mainly out of curiosity...it can definitely bring your breathing down to a normal level when you're breathing heavy. I can see a small advantage for sure.

Post #3   8/25/10 5:33:40AM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
i think its ok if it gets inspected by the organization or the athletics commission or ref. they gotta stay on top of it though.

Post #4   8/25/10 5:17:36PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Wow this is news to me. I never thought anything like that would be allowed into the cage! Nor do I think it should be allowed....even if it is just strait O2. It would be too easy to slip in some sort of stimulant or other enhancer IMO

Post #5   9/3/10 7:19:01PM   

Gladiator

In Full Mount

Gladiator Avatar

Career:896-523
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

Interesting. I've actually had a shot of O2 from those before and I've got to say it seems to do something for you for sure.

I'd have to say for the short term that it's no different than blood doping and for that reason it should be banned.

This may be a stupid question but is blood doping illegal in mma? ive always wondered but never bothered to find out...

Post #6   9/5/10 5:16:30PM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:

Posted by Gladiator

Posted by Jackelope

This may be a stupid question but is blood doping illegal in mma? ive always wondered but never bothered to find out...

Unless the process is illegal, but why would blood doping (per se) be illegal in MMA? It is common for fighters to be praised for altitude training which essentially has the same effect, unless blood doping raises RBC counts far beyond that of altitude or oxygen tent training.

Personally, I don't consider O2 shots the same as injecting RBCs in one's bloodstream nor do I consider it the same as standard doping.

I don't have a problem with it provided
1) there are no serious side effects associated with it.
2) and therefore its use is regulated
3) every fighter has the ability to use it

Post #7   9/5/10 10:12:47PM