Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Mauricio "Shogun" Rua vs. Rashad Evans UFC title fight on hold until mid-2011

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The UFC's light-heavyweight championship will be on hold for a year.

Current champ Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (19-4 MMA, 3-2 UFC), who won the title with a knockout of Lyoto Machida in May, will be out till the spring or summer of 2011.

As expected UFC president Dana White today told ESPN's "SportsCenter" he'll meet top contender and former champ Rashad Evans (15-1-1 MMA, 10-1-1 UFC) upon his return.

LINK

Post #1   8/24/10 3:13:14PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I feel sorry for jones. I guy should be like 6-0 right now and looks like he
Won't get a shot for a whole year. He will fight at least 2 more times maybe 3
He could be 8-1 when he gets his title shot

Get a interim title in dec already.

It should be evans vs jones. But if bader wins
I could settle for bader vs evans. Or evans vs lil nog

Post #2   8/24/10 3:48:19PM   

pinoymixplaya

MMA Regular

pinoymixplaya Avatar

Career:296-200
Chips:
I dont think Evans and Jones would be a match up because they are team mates, but Jones vs. Rampage/Machida winner or loser would be a nice match up, or Bader when he beats Lil Nog.

Post #3   8/24/10 6:06:21PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Really off for over a year!!!!???? An interim tuitle fight needs to happen then.

Post #4   8/24/10 6:24:09PM   

BlueSkiesBurn

USCFootball.com

BlueSkiesBurn Avatar

Career:534-389
Chips:
I've said it before and I will say it again; just have a freakin' interim title. It's not gonna kill anyone. 1 LHW title fight in a year and a half is unacceptable.

Post #5   8/24/10 6:37:34PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,495-875
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree. There's really no reason not to have an interim title. It gives fans a 5 round fight between top contenders and establishes a clear number one contender for the champions return.

Post #6   8/24/10 9:30:37PM   

DANZANRYUGUY

MMA Regular

DANZANRYUGUY Avatar

Career:1,466-1,121
Camp: Mountain Storm Combat Club
Chips:
There needs to be an interim title for sure. a year is way to long to hold up the division full of top guys.

Post #7   8/25/10 11:05:41AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
Interim titles are a joke. Just have Evans fight someone else for #1 Contender status in the meantime. I don't need to see him fight for a fake belt.

Last edited 8/25/10 11:49AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   8/25/10 11:42:31AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Interim titles are a joke. Just have Evans fight someone else for #1 Contender status in the meantime. I don't need to see him fight for a fake belt.

Yeah, the fake belt is dumb. The only meaningful thing about calling it an "interim title" fight is that it would be 5 rounds. Is there anything written that says a non-title fight must be 3 rounds? I'm not aware that's the case, but it's possible.

Post #9   8/25/10 12:23:36PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
There is also the fact that the "Interim Title" belt is a bonus on a fighter's resume. So it's not entirely a joke to have interim titles IMO. Think about it if you were a fighter and you had earned #1 contender status. You know your time at the top is subject to your body's willingness to support that. If your prime only lasts a year and you can't fight for the title in that time because the champ is injured that's gotta suck.

From a fan's perspective it's stupid, but not so much from a fighter's IMO.

Post #10   8/25/10 12:29:29PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

There is also the fact that the "Interim Title" belt is a bonus on a fighter's resume. So it's not entirely a joke to have interim titles IMO. Think about it if you were a fighter and you had earned #1 contender status. You know your time at the top is subject to your body's willingness to support that. If your prime only lasts a year and you can't fight for the title in that time because the champ is injured that's gotta suck.

I disagree. I don't see Scott Coker or Dana White (really the only companies that would even have an interim title) saying, "Oh, he was the interim champion when he fought for _______. We should sign him!" Let's face it...fighters don't send out actual resumes. Their resumes are basically posted on Sherdog (quality of opponents) and they show what they can do in the ring/cage and the word spreads. I'd be willing to bet that most company execs could care less if you fought for an interim title. All it means is that you won a #1 contender's match and got a participation trophy.

For instance...did anyone besides Shane Carwin (and maybe a handful of nuthugger fans) actually consider him to be a champion in any way? I know I didn't. When I think of the last 3 Heavyweight Champs, I think of Lesnar, Couture and Timmeh. Carwin was recognized with an interim belt, sure. But it was a belt that really means nothing to anyone except to him.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here and that most fans want the satisfaction of knowing that there's "something" on the line. I still think they're a joke, personally.

Last edited 8/25/10 1:02PM server time by emfleek

Post #11   8/25/10 1:01:26PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Jackelope

I disagree. I don't see Scott Coker or Dana White (really the only companies that would even have an interim title) saying, "Oh, he was the interim champion when he fought for _______. We should sign him!" Let's face it...fighters don't send out actual resumes. Their resumes are basically posted on Sherdog (quality of opponents) and they show what they can do in the ring/cage and the word spreads. I'd be willing to bet that most company execs could care less if you fought for an interim title. All it means is that you won a #1 contender's match and got a participation trophy.

For instance...did anyone besides Shane Carwin (and maybe a handful of nuthugger fans) actually consider him to be a champion in any way? I know I didn't. When I think of the last 3 Heavyweight Champs, I think of Lesnar, Couture and Timmeh. Carwin was recognized with an interim belt, sure. But it was a belt that really means nothing to anyone except to him.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here and that most fans want the satisfaction of knowing that there's "something" on the line. I still think they're a joke, personally.

I'm trying to use the term "Resume" lightly, lol. I'm talking about a fighter's pride and what he can say when he looks back on his career. What the media will say about him when he's long gone and retired. When he comes back for interviews or, quite literally a resume when he tries to become an analyst. It's just one more thing on his resume both literally and figuratively.

Fighters fight because they're proud. They want to be proud of their fights and what they've done. If being able to call yourself an interim champ makes you proud- I'd say go for it. I'm willing to bet it's pretty split where some fighters could give a rat's ass, but I'm more than willing to bet a lot of fighters take pride in being the interim champ. Besides, when you've got that interim strap around your waist you're guaranteed a fight with the champ. When you're #1 contender they can take that fight away from you at any moment as we've seen happen numerous times in the past. There's a lot more to being an interim champ than you guys are giving credit for.

On the organizational side it's another chance at a title fight on a card. Which, unfortunately, helps sell cards. (As some playground posters have already mentioned apparently it is important to have title fights on cards) and I can't necessarily disagree when it comes to the general fan base. People get hyped up about stupid ****.

Bottom line is MMA companies want to make money, and fighters want to make a name for themselves. I'm not personally a big fan of the interim belts, but I'm not so naive as to think they don't serve one purpose or another. Nor do I think you are for that matter. If it aligns with the fighter and the promoter to make them more money and get them a bigger name well... I can't fault them. And I think it's very easy to overlook how important it may be for a fighter to hold the interim belt whether they admit it or not.

Last edited 8/25/10 1:24PM server time by Jackelope

Post #12   8/25/10 1:18:23PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:
Oh, I don't disagree with you in terms of the interim title serving a purpose. I'm well aware of that. I'm just saying that, as a fan, I don't put much (or any) stock into interim belts.

Then again...I could really say the same for all belts. I'm going to watch regardless. I'm not going to cry if UFC _insert # here_ doesn't have a title fight on the card. I'm not going to get pissed if there are only 8 title shots per year, either. Just put on consistenly good fights/events and I'm going to watch. Period.

Post #13   8/25/10 1:38:20PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Oh, I don't disagree with you in terms of the interim title serving a purpose. I'm well aware of that. I'm just saying that, as a fan, I don't put much (or any) stock into interim belts.

Then again...I could really say the same for all belts. I'm going to watch regardless. I'm not going to cry if UFC _insert # here_ doesn't have a title fight on the card. I'm not going to get pissed if there are only 8 title shots per year, either. Just put on consistenly good fights/events and I'm going to watch. Period.

I think we're basically on the same page then On a side note I can't believe I just invested all that time defending interim belts, lol.

Gotta say though- I think it is very easy for the general fan base to overlook the importance from a fighter perspective. I just try to keep things on an even keel as far as that goes because hell... somebody has to give the fighters side a voice. Otherwise we fans would tear them to pieces lol.

Post #14   8/25/10 1:50:24PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Shogun is the Mario Lemieux of MMA. It's really unfortunate, these injuries seem like they're just going to persist and make his legacy half of what it could have been.

Post #15   8/25/10 4:26:02PM