Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Boxing's biggest fight

Print  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

Boxing legend Barry McGuigan called it "dirty" and "undignified", but statistics suggest it is safer than boxing.

Ultimate Fighting Championship is coming to Britain - and British boxing is rattled.

Post #1   4/20/07 2:19:31PM   

gimmper

MMA Regular

gimmper Avatar

Career:394-246
Camp: duXup
Chips:
MMA is nothing new my friend...reformed yes but not new...boxing originally started out as grappling and striking in the 1700's...these old time gluttons would fight 100's of rounds throwing, wrestling and striking for the victory...but as the sport refined itself over the years striking became known as the gentlemans way and anything else dirty...listen to what I'm saying because I love MMA...but keep in mind that boxing is the purest and most deadly form of striking and kudo's to the champions who have mastered it...we are just in a new age that thirts for more and boxers need to accept that they are two totally different forms of fighting and both are great...Thank you

Post #2   4/21/07 12:05:02AM   

Sopena66669

MMA Regular

Career:30-7
Chips:
i defineatly think Muay Thai kick boxing is the deadliest form of striking boxing may have the deadliest form of punching though

Post #3   4/21/07 4:24:27AM   

keith-hackney1

Belt Contender

keith-hackney1 Avatar

Career:274-221
Chips:

Posted by disorderlyvision

link

Boxing legend Barry McGuigan called it "dirty" and "undignified", but statistics suggest it is safer than boxing.

Ultimate Fighting Championship is coming to Britain - and British boxing is rattled.

Barry mcguigan, like many other scared boxing commentators are all on the payrole for comentating on boxing. Thats it. If the ufc come to the uk and show a more exciting event different to boxing (ufc 70) to the british public, and gets a following, (like they have) boxing will slowly fade to grey. The money is in the ufc, boxing is not selling anymore, the ufc is the new sport that everybody wants to be a part of. Barry is scared of loosing his job, thats all.
No deaths or real serious injury's on record in mma since it was tellivised in 1993 to date !!!
Boxing is the "dirty" sport. Two guys repeatably send blows of full force to the head and body for 12 rounds.
In mma one hard punch and the fight is over, no huge build up of head shots or brain damage like in boxing.
Its a scientific fact that a series of strikes to the head is more long term damaging than one swift punch that causes a ko.
In mma theres loads of ways to win a fight as we all know, and all fighters cross train so their tecniques are much more advanced than boxers as they stratigise the way they fight and always have a number of ways to beat there opponant.

Last edited 4/23/07 9:59AM server time by keith-hackney1
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   4/23/07 9:56:19AM   

zephead

The Dancer

zephead Avatar

Career:541-400
Camp: Ground'N'Pound
Chips:

Posted by gimmper

MMA is nothing new my friend...reformed yes but not new...boxing originally started out as grappling and striking in the 1700's...these old time gluttons would fight 100's of rounds throwing, wrestling and striking for the victory...but as the sport refined itself over the years striking became known as the gentlemans way and anything else dirty...listen to what I'm saying because I love MMA...but keep in mind that boxing is the purest and most deadly form of striking and kudo's to the champions who have mastered it...we are just in a new age that thirts for more and boxers need to accept that they are two totally different forms of fighting and both are great...Thank you

I don't understand how boxing can be considered the "purest and most deadly form of striking" when you are limited in what you can use to strike and where you can strike. MMA is as close as you can get to the "purest form" of hand to hand combat.

In MMA you can kick, knee, elbow, punch and submit an opponet.In Pride you could stomp and soccer kick. In boxing you can't hit below the waist, you can't kick, knee or elbow. You can't submit. Your limited to where you can strike and how.

I'm not by any means putting down boxing, but boxing is what it is: Two guys, with standing 8 count rules, who are limited to a certain area on the body to punch, and punch only, not having to worry about being kicked or taken down. I loved boxing until I found MMA. MMA is as close as to real fighting as you'll get. MMA is as pure and as deadly a striking game there is. In boxing you don't get to see a KO like you saw Saturday night. You wouldn't get to see a Grice/Etim fight. That is what fighting is all about

"To me the records were just a starting point," recalls John Paul Jones, "The most important thing was always the stage show. So many great nights. At our worst we were still better than most. At our best we could just wipe the floor with the lot of them. It was just a very good live band."

Post #5   4/23/07 4:11:10PM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
Boxing is on the serious decline in England. I cant remember the last fight that was PPV over here, it might have been Lennox Lewis against Evander Holyfield, and that was a while back now. Certainly, there are no PPV events getting big promotion on TV anymore. No one watches the events even when they are free, hence why the end up showing them late at night, so they dont interupt the prime schedule. I can only speak for my generation here, but no one talks about boxing, no one cares about it, its outdated and boring now. However, loads of people I know all recognise the name "Chuck Liddell" or "UFC". There is a buzz about MMA right now. Combined with the corruption, the drugs, the excess and the downright boring nature of pugilism, boxing is on the way out.

The boxing gyms around Newcastle dont have many young people in them anymore, its mostly older guys who have been boxing since youth, and are still going. The only MMA gyn in town is doing a roaring trade.

Post #6   4/23/07 6:55:39PM